Dawn's 56g memorial seahorse tank!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well bad news folks, I thought I dodged a bullet when the tank had a problem last weekend, but it appears I didn't get through it unscathed. Boaz stopped eating 3 days ago and is experiencing serious buoyancy problems. I tried to see if he had air bubbles trapped in his pouch but that is not where the problem is, it is much higher in his body. He is very bloated and I don't feel optimistic about his prognosis. I also don't see antibiotics or parasite meds helping. My guess is liver dysfunction so I am not going to stress him more by QT him. This makes me indescribably sad, especially since Eve keeps going up to the return where he is hitched to check on him. I will do 7 gallon WCs every day this week to make sure the tank water is up to par and make sure husbandry is totally tended to. Eve and Ruth seem uneffected. Its a sad time though.
Oh no! That's awful I'm so sorry. @Lionfish Lair do you have any ideas on what else could be done to save Boaz?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poop!!!!!!!! Is the temp stable? We used to administer a med called diamox for these issues. Lemme see what peeps are using now.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeps are still using Diamox, but it may be difficult to find it. Do you see any other weirdness? Patches, white areas, anything abnormal?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeps are still using Diamox, but it may be difficult to find it. Do you see any other weirdness? Patches, white areas, anything abnormal?
No his skin is perfect but tight because of the bloatedness. I thought diamox might be what could help him too if I had started it sooner. Even if I could get it I think his condition is probably too far advanced. I suspect that he does not have long now.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear this, I love your sea horses and enjoy this thread so much. Will continue to follow:(

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to hear this, I love your sea horses and enjoy this thread so much. Will continue to follow:(
Thanks Chris, this is really hard. Seahorses for me are even tougher to lose than even my other favorite fish. I love them too.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! That's awful I'm so sorry. @Lionfish Lair do you have any ideas on what else could be done to save Boaz?
I am sorry that I didn't respond until now Meredith. When my ponies get sick it always is a tough time. I appreciate you alerting Renee, (Lionfish Lair). I have contacted the breeder I bought him from and asked for suggestions. Iwill just have to see how things go from here.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My person I would normally go to has had something horrible happen in her family or I would have asked her. It super stressful when horses get sick (even more so than many other fish), so we totally get what you're going through. :-(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that I didn't respond until now Meredith. When my ponies get sick it always is a tough time. I appreciate you alerting Renee, (Lionfish Lair). I have contacted the breeder I bought him from and asked for suggestions. Iwill just have to see how things go from here.

Hey no problem! I get it for sure. I'll be following closely to see what happens. I'll pray for your little guy.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make an upgrade on the system today. I replaced my used 10 year old 9.5 mag drive with a Jabao DCT-6000 that I bought black Friday. This jabao will be more energy efficient, cooler, has a controller to adjust flow and is as quiet as it gets. I am liking it!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he still alive?
No, he just passed this afternoon. He has just quietly laid hitch slowly becoming weaker and weaker. When I saw how slowly he was breathing this morning I felt like the end had to be very near. He never thrashed or looked uncomfortable so I guess that is a blessing. Still it is so so sad. Losing a seahorse has to be the hardest thing to go through with them.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm am so sorry Dawn,:(
Aw man! I'm sorry!
Thank you both very much. I am sad but to love anything is to open your heart to the possible pain of loss and seahorses are worth that risk.

I will be getting 1 or 2 more but not just yet. I want to know the tank is totally stabilized and also I am waiting on a grandbaby that I plan to help out with for 2 weeks. Dave my husband is nervous enough taking care of the ponies so I will wait til I am home for that. Also I need to decide if I want a pair, 2 females or just 1 more female.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back