OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She an energetic little girl isn't she? I've never seen such an active seahorse... of course most of the ones I've seen where in State aquariums.
She is an energetic little girl and she does that every day. I think that is why she has such a good appetite. I think she is adorable because she is so inquisitive too. She wants to check out everything.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! I have missed so much! The tank looks great and you are giving me inspiration!! :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! I have missed so much! The tank looks great and you are giving me inspiration!! :)
Its nice to hear from you Krista!
This is definitely the best tank I have set up for the seahorses. Its very easy to clean without sand and the high flow helps keep detritus and uneatten food in suspension so it can be filtered out. It looks a little more sterile and less natural but the rock with coral and macro help a lot. Everything shows up nice with the light backround and bottom. Even Eve lightened up.
I think the seahorses like it too. They have lots of hitches in different areas and flows to choose from.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Boaz is finally eating from the food bowl with Eve and Ruth. However 3 ponies sticking their heads in a small jelly jar all at one time is not working very well. I guess that means I need a food bowl with a bigger circumference.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I scrubbed micro algae off the bottom of my tank. I left all the dots of coralline however. In order to do a thorough job I moved some scape around so once again the tank looks different. I really love being able to do that without clouding the tank or kicking up nasties.

O yeah, and I gave the ponies one of my little candy dishes for a food bowl. If that isn't love? Now all 3 can eat at the same time.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's so cute and I love that red bubbly macro algae.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's so cute and I love that red bubbly macro algae.
I think she is a cutie too. That red macro algae is called red grape caulerpa but it is not related to the green caulerpa. It makes wonderful hitching posts.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I scrubbed micro algae off the bottom of my tank. I left all the dots of coralline however. In order to do a thorough job I moved some scape around so once again the tank looks different. I really love being able to do that without clouding the tank or kicking up nasties.

O yeah, and I gave the ponies one of my little candy dishes for a food bowl. If that isn't love? Now all 3 can eat at the same time.

What the tank looks like after todays cleaning.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished training a new seahorse sitter how to feed the ponies. We are leaving for the weekend to visit our children in SC.

This is a good breaking in period for the new sitter because it is only 2 days. Not much bad should happen with such a short trip. I can do a water change the day I return home and the food has been premeasured.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much bad should happen

don't jinx it!!! Knock on some wood, throw salt over your shoulder, four leaf clovers.... what else is good luck? Rabbit's feet? Though that always grossed me out a little. I'll do those things for you too! Hope all goes well with the sitter and your trip.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't jinx it!!! Knock on some wood, throw salt over your shoulder, four leaf clovers.... what else is good luck? Rabbit's feet? Though that always grossed me out a little. I'll do those things for you too! Hope all goes well with the sitter and your trip.
Well Meredith, maybe I did jinx it! My sitter texted me yesterday and said the tank was making a gurgling noise. I told them to look at the sump and see if the water level was down which it was. I guessed that it had evaporated since there was no mention of water on the floor so a leak was unlikely. I told them where my fresh made ro/di water was and instructed them to fill up to the line. They said that stopped the gurgling. Problem fixed, right? WRONG!

I got home and realized the return chamber in the sump was pumped dry, most of the macros in my fuge were toast and upon checking the salinity it was down to .020. Amazingly the display tank looked ok with seahorses and coral all looking pretty normal.

The real problem was the chiller leaked. I am still not sure whether it was the flex tubing at the input, output or inside the unit somewhere. I took it offline and cleaned up the sump which included emptying it of everything except the DSB. Then I filled it back up with newly made saltwater. I have no idea what temperature the tank is since my chiller told me that but I suspect it was a little warm. Tomorrow I will buy a thermometer. I did another water change later on and I am making new ro/di now for tomorrow.
Everything still looks good so I think I dodged a bullet. Maybe your well wishes for my tank helped!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back