Dead fish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to reefing. My phosphate levels were perfect until about two months ago. After several water changes my levels were still higher than I would have liked so I purchased a GFO product and used it. Within a few days I had four fish die. I pulled out the GFO. I read more about it and thought that maybe I had used it improperly so I tried it again this week as I was still having issues getting my phosphate levels down. I only used half of what was recommended on the instructions, again I lost 5 fish in three days. I'm heart broken. I have been working so hard on my tank especially this last month. Now my corals are looking a bit sad. I change out my filters weekly, my socks daily, water changes every week. Last week did 5% every other day. I'm at a loss. In tears. Any advice?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase the GFO from BRS? This is the BRS forum. What gfo product are you using?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe that adding GFO would kill so many fish, but not really any info provided in your post.

Would need to know tank size, age, parameters, how do you acclimate and do you QT and how many fish added at once? Need a lot more info to be able to help.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how GFO could kill fish unless maybe you didn't rinse it at all and the hot water and dust hit the fish (which seems extremely unlikely).

Sounds more like disease if anything

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo can kill corals but don’t think for fish. You need to explain how you used it. Only think would maybe you didn’t clean it at all and that the fine dust may have caused it?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have mentioned, quick reductions in phosphate is usually linked more to coral mortality/stress than fish mortality/stress.

I agree with @Spare time that this sounds like fish disease more than an issue with the GFO you're using. Diseases like velvet or brook can kill within hours and is very contagious within the aquarium.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back