Designing fish room with limited space (planning sump and water storage)

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the middle of updating my tank and fish room as I convert it from freshwater to saltwater. Please check out my tank thread for further details and pictures. To summarize, the house I purchased has a 1000 gallon in-wall aquarium with a tiny fish room behind it. It really was designed too small for its purpose, but I'm trying to maximize what I can do with the space. I have been going through various projects updating it as documented in my tank thread and am now ready to design out my filtration.

With my odd and limited space I have decided to go with plywood tanks which will allow me to customize and maximize what space I have. I am modeling my design in Sketchup to ensure everything will fit within my space constraints. My idea is to have one long plywood sump on the floor where a large refugium and my returns will be located. Above it will be a small tank where filter floss and media will go. This will empty down and into the lower sump. Here is my mock up of my fish room with my tanks designed followed by a real shot for comparison.

Fish Room without tanks.jpg

20240504_230107.jpg

Though space will be tight it seems like the 2 sumps will fit. Next I'm trying to figure out what to do with my water storage. When this was a freshwater tank I had a much smaller sump in the form of a 50-gallon barrel and then used a second 50-gallon barrel for water storage that sat next to it on the floor. The space was tight but there was enough room for it all. Now with that floor space being taken up by the sump I have thought of 3 options:

Option 1: Place a 55 gallon vertical storage tank on top of the platform to the right. It is 18 inches wide which would necessitate building the platform out a little further to support the load. Something like this:

Fish Room with 18 inch VST.jpg

And it should really be two tanks, one for saltwater and the other for fresh water which will take up the majority of my space which I originally had planned for an external skimmer and eventually a calcium reactor and/or kalk stirrer.

I can't remove any of these cabinets to make more room as the one on the right is covering sauna equipment for the sauna located on the other side of the wall. The one to the left is covering and protecting the pvc for the overflows from the tank.

Option 2: Similar to option 1 but go with smaller 35-gallon storage tanks which is 15 inches wide and long. Still takes up the majority of my leftover space but not quite as much.

Fish Room with 15 inch VST.jpg

Finally, option 3: Move my mixing station up to my garage which is one floor up and a little less than 100 feet away. I would have to haul a hose downstairs for water changes though the excess water will drain into the floor drain within the fish room. This frees up more space within this small room but I lose the convenience of having it all nearby as my trade-off. I could also go larger on the tanks to store more water at one time. I do think I would still mount a single storage tank in the room for fresh water for an ATO. If I went this route what size storage tank would be best for fresh water storage within my room?

Hoping for some good input as I brainstorm on what would be best here? Any other ideas are welcome as well.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very clean planning! I definitely recommend keeping the tanks/mixing station next to the tank rather than moving to garage, it will save loads of hassle and time without a doubt. I'd also go with the larger storage tank, it may take up a bit more space but with a 1000 gallon display I think you'll be happy to have a bit more water at the ready.

OP
OP
S

SlowAndStupid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. If I go with continued storage tanks in the room the question then is where to put other times like the external protein skimmer and calcium reactor? A skimmer for this size of a tank has a footprint of about 20-something inches. A large geo carx will take up similar space as well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back