Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a few mentions of hydrogen peroxide being used for increased oxygen and dinoflagellates. I haven't seen much of a demonstration though. Anyone want to post pictures of 'I cannot take it anymore with dinos' and 7 days post peroxide initiation?

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 100% for 30sec to a min dips with zoas and they where fine afterward just had no algea on them granted this was a 1min dip at room temp peroxide even dared on a piece of Monticello cap i was thinning out and it survived though I wouldn't recommend this on you 20k lokini or something
Also have seen no I'll effects to cheato or pod population

sharkbait9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found this bit of gold info from another MB and followed it to troylee. My question is and if anyone is willing to take a shot. What would H202 do to a system at the rec dose rate if they are running a biopellet reactor? Would the H202 kill the bio?

motoxmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a skimmer on my tank. Is that a must for doing this? I'm in the process of setting up a new tank with a sump ( so I can run a skimmer), but I'm having a killer dino problem and my sand looks horrible.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have to bit it would help.... Your raising levels of o2 in the water column so it shouldn't be a huge problem... I would suggest a healthy amount of carbon thou to remove all the toxins from the die off....

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
found this bit of gold info from another MB and followed it to troylee. My question is and if anyone is willing to take a shot. What would H202 do to a system at the rec dose rate if they are running a biopellet reactor? Would the H202 kill the bio?

Are you asking if peroxide kills bacteria? Does ozone or bleach? Yes it does. In the quantities most are adding to their reef should not, unless it comes in direct contact with it. Some bacteria in the water column obviously will come in direct contact when it is added. It would for sure as a coral dip though.

I still have my doubts on if this actually does anything for dino's and why it would. There is no way to know if the thread starter’s dino’s died because of this or just anecdotal. They grow so fast they usually eventually just crash because they use up everything. Be interesting to see if others see the same thing. I am not saying it isn’t possible I just have doubts. I also have not looked at a bottle of peroxide lately to see if anything else is added to it. I have been in this hobby way to long and seen hundreds of threads started just like this that turned out to be nothing and but some actually do.

Dave Polzin

Last edited:
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been around the block few times....;)
I know what I was battaling and this worked...
Numerous people are backing my claims in this thread with the same succsess.... I don't know all the scientifical reasoning behind it or why it works but it does....
I run a ulns. " ultra low nutrient system" dinos are a common problem with bacteria dosing mb7/vodka like I Do.... It makes ya wander but it works man garunteed....1smile1

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read people saying they are dosing the H2O2, does that mean they does it everyday? Or it is just a one time dosed? I have a 90gal and a 15g sump. Being on the safe side, I only dosing a total of 10ml H2O2 once and that its. I don't need to dose the amount everyday right?? The H2O2 will eventually demished in the tank and not need any water changeto remove the water like dosing other type of solution(flat worm exit, inceptor, etc)..

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read people saying they are dosing the H2O2, does that mean they does it everyday? Or it is just a one time dosed? I have a 90gal and a 15g sump. Being on the safe side, I only dosing a total of 10ml H2O2 once and that its. I don't need to dose the amount everyday right?? The H2O2 will eventually demished in the tank and not need any water changeto remove the water like dosing other type of solution(flat worm exit, inceptor, etc)..

Dose it every day, once a day at 1ml / 10 gallons. You may notice some corals will close up (my zoas and palys will) for just a little bit then they open back up just fine. The peroxide reacts with the water quickly and separates into water and oxygen, so there's no need to worry about running carbon or any detrimental effects such as using interceptor or FWX. I would recommend cranking up your skimmer some though. I've noticed that my skimmer pulls extra since dosing peroxide. Other than what I've mentioned, I haven't noticed any negative effects at all.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so has anyone saw any ill effects yet???? my tank is good but i only dosed for 11 days.... i didn't use a preventative dose after defeating the dinos....
i would like to hear....
#1 anything bad that has happened
#2 if it worked for you...
i have came to the conclusion i wasn't a isolated case and i just didn't happen to dose the day they were burning them selves out....
i would just like to add some more exp. for the skeptics..... i did a google search the other day and this thread is plastered everywhere now on all different forums and i started reading some of the threads and there is ton of people who don't believe and saying it's gonna crash your tank or this or that...... i haven't changed my water in 6 months lol.....fwiw

Jpurpz831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did the treatment for 7 days i saw algae that was growing on sum plugs die off but lost a couple of acans dont know if it could have been the H2O2 but it might be sumthing picking at them othere than that it worked for me

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to change some water, Troy. hehe

ctxmonitor

My Reef Creation
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose it every day, once a day at 1ml / 10 gallons. You may notice some corals will close up (my zoas and palys will) for just a little bit then they open back up just fine. The peroxide reacts with the water quickly and separates into water and oxygen, so there's no need to worry about running carbon or any detrimental effects such as using interceptor or FWX. I would recommend cranking up your skimmer some though. I've noticed that my skimmer pulls extra since dosing peroxide. Other than what I've mentioned, I haven't noticed any negative effects at all.

Thanks!! Good to now i could does this everyday until everything seems to be taken care of..

Ricordea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where some lost some acans.I also had the same bad luck losing some acans.A slow tissue die off.Again not sure if it's related.But it did happen when h2ho was added? And I use the righr dosage here also.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really..... Hmmmm I have all sticks besides a few zoos and jawbreaker.... They are all fine and chalices there good also... I just got some acans and a scolly like 2 days ago, so that's makes me wonder if I should be careful the next go around....

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back