Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

bkss709

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clam abd no problems at all and i have been dosing for 8 days and have noticed a increase in color to some of my corals and no Dino at all now.

BUMP!! Just wondering if anyone dosed H2O2 with clams in the mix??? Any ill effects?? Gonna try tonight if I get the go ahead from yo9u guys!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! dosing this tonight! 1 ml per 10 gal ? Thats what everyone is using? right??

cody6766

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using 10mL for every gallon of (estimated) actual system volume. I tried to account for rock displacement so I don't OD the tank...if that's possible.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I put in the first dose last night......... didnt really sleep, checked as soon as I woke up and everything still looked alive. Had to go to work, so hoping its still alive when I get home......:squigglemouth:

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I put in the first dose last night......... didnt really sleep, checked as soon as I woke up and everything still looked alive. Had to go to work, so hoping its still alive when I get home......:squigglemouth:

Everything will be fine I promise...;) I know quite a few doing this now and not one casualty from anyone... The worst I have heard is it's done nothing lol...;)

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added it several days in a row and saw the exact same results on my ORP meter every day I added it
orp.gif

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a 7 day graph, the sudden drop in ORP is exactly when I added 1ml per 10gal of H2o2
7day.jpg

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this a few days ago, but my peroxide is pretty old - expired plus some - so I think I'm dealing with just water at this point - LOL! I'm going to get another bottle and start over and I'll try to take some progress picks if I can remember.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this a few days ago, but my peroxide is pretty old - expired plus some - so I think I'm dealing with just water at this point - LOL! I'm going to get another bottle and start over and I'll try to take some progress picks if I can remember.
You should see if it fizzes on a wound, or dip a zoa.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats crazy weird! everything I have read says orp should be raised, and my water definatly gets clearer.
How does your meter measure ORP?
Not sure what you mean by how, this is the graph I pull up with my APEX, it uses a probe kept in the sump. And the h2o2 was added to the display. I watched it carefully the first couple of time and the results are almost instant. I expected results like what you predicted but.....My theory is that its possible the H2O2 reacts with stuff in the tank and breaks it down immediately thus lowering the ORP, but I prefer to leave theory to the heavy thinkers

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine definitely hasn't gone higher. But then mine is pretty high to start ranging around 440-460. I don't have dino or cyano but have regular algae problems on a new 500g system. I added the peroxide for a week and didn't see any big differences that couldn't be attributed to the other things I am doing to fight it. Then I broke my measuring shot glass and ended the trial

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ORP is raised as a result of the decay *from* the h2o2. That is why you see the drop, but then the immediate increase to very high levels.

Last edited:

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ORP is raised as a result of the decay of the h2o2. That is why you see the drop, but then the immediate increase to very high levels.

Its an immediate drop, then a slow rise back to normal level

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back