Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cozmo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I started dosing 1 mL per gallon on my 185g last night. I've been dealing with dinos for a good 6 months and am at my wits end. Will let you know how it goes.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I'm impressed. Apparently the first bottle I had was outdated and pretty much water at that point. I started using a fresh bottle the other night and I've noticed a big dent in the population. I actually couldn't believe it when I saw it this morning. It's almost like a "miracle cure" that actually works!

helmet1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy read this thread last night and thought i would give it a try. I have a 29 gallon and a 90 gallon. The 29 gallon i used 2ml i have 3 fish and corals ect ect and everything is great. In my 90 gallon with large sump i used 9ml. In the 90, i have a medium lionfish and a medium longnose butteryfly. The longnose started struggling for oxygen and head turned red and just now died on me. Any ideas? was this from the peroxide or something totally seperate maybe?

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the Dino's are gone with dosing the H2O2 has anyone stopped? If so did you notice if they started to come back at all? I would rather rid of them with the dosing and not have to maintain a dosing regime. I have never had dino's before. I did a tank swap from a 72 to a 120 and started to notice them. Just thought my tank was going through a mini-cycle. I then began to dose Vodka and really set these things on fire. I wasn't sure what it was at first until doing the research and seeing pictures. I want to try this but am hesitant to say the least.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went ahead and started dosing today. I dosed 37ML to my tank. Makes one nervous. I have a pretty bad outbreak of Dino's right now. Can't stand looking at my tank its so bad. I hate trying to estimate my water volume. I may have underestimated it but time will tell. IF I don't see any change in say 4 or so days do you think I could bump up the amount dosed slightly? My system consists of a 120Gallon disply, 90 gallon frag tank, 150gallon Undulated Trigger tank, and a 100 gallon stock tank. The stock tank I only run about 65% full of water however it houses a 5 gallon buckuet of rock which my water drains into and my skimmer. What would you estimate my water volume to be at? I figured around 370 gallons. Seem close? Anyone other updates from those whom recently started to dose? How quickly did poeple notice changes? Seems to be like a 2 day or so turn around.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for you and anyone else considering this or doing this.... no need to worry about a od honestly anywhere close to the water volume is gonna get you buy and everything is gonna be fine.... there is thousands doing this now and i have not read a single casualty anywhere.... i have done quiet a few dips with 100 percent h2o2 and no ill effects..... not directing this towards any one person just want insure the rest of the people wanting or debating..... you can sleep well at night your tank wont crash..... i was really nervous the first night i have well over 10k invested in corals in my display so i was skeptical and rest assured everything was okay..... worst case is your not gonna see any results...lol

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern was if I don't see a result I was wondering what I should bump up the dose to??? I am doing my dosing without the lights on. Now I am not sure if it is just me or not. Buy by peering in my tank 8hrs after it appears to be working somewhat. Now I am not 100 percent sure but the sandbed seems to be a little bit better. Tomorrow or Monday I think will be the tell tale sign.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work quick if your battling dinos you can almost see results over night...;)
Some one in this thread did a experiment with 1ml per gallon and hadn't noticed any I'll effects and that's 10 times the recommended dosage... Haven't heard anything since the first day thou.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling them for months and I was fortunate enough to remove my corals and place them in another tank so I can experiment with different things. I was actually battling an ich outbreak as well and put my display into hypo. Hypo doesn't kill dino's either btw. Since there is only 2 fish, some rock and sand in my display, I've been dosing peroxide at 1 ml / 10 gallons - twice a day for the past few days and the change is dramatic. It's taking the dino's out as well as cyano.

Best $.65 I've ever spent in my life!

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies Troylee......Honkeysauce when you say your dosing 1ml/10 gallon twice a day do you mean your basically doubling up the original dosing suggestion? Of you dosing the original recommendation but splitting it into 2 doses per day?

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another question I have for everyone. How did you dose the tank? Squirt it in the tank itself? The sump? Around the most problem area?

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies Troylee......Honkeysauce when you say your dosing 1ml/10 gallon twice a day do you mean your basically doubling up the original dosing suggestion? Of you dosing the original recommendation but splitting it into 2 doses per day?

Yeah, that's right - twice the dosage per day. About 15ml in the morning and 15ml in the evening.

Today, I drained the tank and sucked out the entire top layer of sand since that's where all of the dino's are. I took that opportunity to catch the 2 fish that I wanted out too. I am at around 95% dino free if not more. I'll keep lights out for the week and keep dosing peroxide, running my UV, and skimming wet. By next weekend, I plan on moving all of my corals from my temp holding tank back to my display... hopefully I'm finally done battling this crap... if not, I at least know how to fight them before they take hold of anything.

This thread rules!

jascymcl

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
experimented today;put a small zoa frag in non diluted peroxide and within seconds it started to fizz and all the little pods and uglies were toast within seconds and the algae within minutes

flatlander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a similar zoa experiment. I just poured some in a dish with about a quart of tankwater. Dipped zoa and swirled water for min or so. It came out fine and removed the dinos from the plug. I may jump on board too. Been battling this for way too long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back