DIY ADA/Elos style stand and material questions.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the thought of making a coral QT tank for some time and I have almost everything I need laying around. I have a 6 gallon TruVu Aquarium that I could use and I want to make a simple, but clean, DIY stand. I've seen some threads and videos for simple Elos/ADA style stands that seem very easy to put together. I have a kregg jig so I think I should be able to make something sturdy fairly easily and cheaply. I do have a couple of questions, however.

1. One video I saw they used MDF as the material. Would there be any cons to this? The video was in German so I can't say I could tell their reasoning.

2. I've used Kilz primer before on stands but I want something to look nicer than that (I could always use Kilz for the inside). Any recommendations? Would I have to use a special paint that is resistant to saltwater and/or doesn't have mold inhibitors?

Thanks in advance!

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim.

You could get a nice simple stand made from using ¾" plywood (birch/maple veneer) and finished with a conversion lacquer in whatever color you choose.

When I use plywood, I prefer to use a veneer core, but MDF core is fine. Most lumber supply stores seem to stock more and more of the MDF core sheets now as they're easier to make. The issue with the MDF core is that is loves to suck up any moisture that causes swelling. As long as you finish off the raw MDF edges with a solid wood trim, you can get by using the MDF core sheet material.

You can build the stand from plywood and still get the look of the ELOS/ADA stands.
After assembly, use a wood filler (the type like Bondo with a cream hardener) to fill in all of the holes and seams. Once hardened, sand the entire piece until all surfaces are flat and smooth. The key here is to make sure there are no visible seams or imperfections as the colored finish will accent even the smallest of voids.
Seal the stand with primer and finish with a conversion lacquer. The conversion lacquer gives the stand a strong and smooth finish. The conversion lacquer can be colored to match anything prefer and in satin or gloss finishes.
I do add one or two coats of clear lacquer on top of the colored conversion lacquer to help protect the colored finish from minor scratches.

Here's a stand I built that used solid wood face frames with plywood sides/deck that was finished with a gloss black conversion lacquer.

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Tim.

You could get a nice simple stand made from using ¾" plywood (birch/maple veneer) and finished with a conversion lacquer in whatever color you choose.

When I use plywood, I prefer to use a veneer core, but MDF core is fine. Most lumber supply stores seem to stock more and more of the MDF core sheets now as they're easier to make. The issue with the MDF core is that is loves to suck up any moisture that causes swelling. As long as you finish off the raw MDF edges with a solid wood trim, you can get by using the MDF core sheet material.

You can build the stand from plywood and still get the look of the ELOS/ADA stands.
After assembly, use a wood filler (the type like Bondo with a cream hardener) to fill in all of the holes and seams. Once hardened, sand the entire piece until all surfaces are flat and smooth. The key here is to make sure there are no visible seams or imperfections as the colored finish will accent even the smallest of voids.
Seal the stand with primer and finish with a conversion lacquer. The conversion lacquer gives the stand a strong and smooth finish. The conversion lacquer can be colored to match anything prefer and in satin or gloss finishes.
I do add one or two coats of clear lacquer on top of the colored conversion lacquer to help protect the colored finish from minor scratches.

Here's a stand I built that used solid wood face frames with plywood sides/deck that was finished with a gloss black conversion lacquer.

Thanks for the help Jason that looks awesome as always! I hate to bastardize it but can you recommend a brush on equivalent? I wish I had a spray booth to work with :oops:

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help Jason that looks awesome as always! I hate to bastardize it but can you recommend a brush on equivalent? I wish I had a spray booth to work with :oops:

Whoops! I'm sorry, I must've missed your reply.

I haven't tried it, but you make be able to use the same conversion lacquer with a roller. You may need to add some thinner to it so that has more time to level out before setting up. I would definitely try doing it on a test piece before the final project.
Another option would be to look into an enamel based paint. You may need to add something with this also to help with achieving a nice smooth application; Flo-trol or something similar.

Yes, a spray booth with an HLVP sprayer is very beneficial to have on hand.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's conversion varnish and there's lacquer. conversion varnish can take a beating, but it's pretty difficult to use. it requires a catalyst and you have to apply it in a certain temperature range for the cross linking to occur. you must also discard any leftover catalyst in a specific manner. if you lay the coat too thick it will crack.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back