DIY. Fish trap. It works!!!

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a simple to make fish trap that works pretty good, well at least for me. LOL. Most of this stuff is misc things that you probably already have.

- Kritter keeper container (Depending on size $5-10) You probably have one from the goldfish you won at the fair
- Tunze magnet or anytype of aquarium magnet or suction cups for mounting. Recommend a magnet so it will be easier to adjust the position of the trap if need be.
- Fishing line
- Fishing egg sinker

Basically drilled some holes so I could zip tie the tunze magnet mount. Another on top of the trap so I could fit the tip of a food baster for squirting food. Last hole drilled on the door flap so I could tie fishing line. I use an egg sinker to add a bit of weight to the door, so the trap stays open. If not, the door flutters in the current.

OP
OP
KorL

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Just in case anyone wants to build their own fish trap. Give it a try

OP
OP
KorL

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are easiest fish to trap. The urge to eat will get them trapped

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made mine. fingers crossed I can catch a powder blue that is a terror right now. Right now she won't go near it. wrasses are trying to get to food underneath and my Harlequin Tusk went right in and couldn't figure out how to get out.
1F52FCEB-2D5A-483C-9630-DBFA3CBC29AD_zpswx1owdod.jpg

OP
OP
KorL

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might take a day or two for the fish to get used to the trap being in the tank.

theMerchant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely need to try this. I have caught smaller fish with the plastic bottle. Now I need one for catching wrasse.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try this to catch a Mystery Wrasse who's become a brute. If anyone has success with wrasses, please let me know how you did it, bait, time to catch, etc...

OP
OP
KorL

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from my experience, tangs in my tank are super easy to catch. Probably could catch all of them in a days time. And I have like 10 tangs. Smaller fish may take a few days to be enticed to swim into the trap.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made something similar using acrylic from Home Depot (except with a sliding door)....which I would have thought about these critter containers before spending the time and money on the one I made lol.

kingdog22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how I caught my mystery wrasse. He eats from a coral feeding pipette. I laid a fish net in the tank for a day. Then the next morning when I went to feed the fish I lifted the net to the middle of the tank. I then sqeezed his favorite food into the opening of the net. He went right in front of the net to get his food and I scooped him right out. My tank is loaded with rock and coral. So it was awesome to get him so easily. I have done the same trick with a pygmy possum wrasse, hi-fin goby and orange spot blenny. Its always worked on the first day. I hope this helps you.

Ed

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back