OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia in mag flakes has been discussed on that other board and with my experience here is my .02.

There is a huge difference between dosing to keep calcium., carbonate (alk), and magnesium up and making artificial salts for water changes.

And addionally for starting new aquarium also.

IMHO at dosing quantities with aquariums balanced out and most especially with refugiums with macro algaes or ats systems, the ammonia is almost immediately consumed by the algae and bacteria. Ditto for the impurities.

with new aquariums a week at most will get rid of the ammonia.

In established aquariums the ammonia is easily consumed quickly with algae action like in a week at most.

And the only danger just applies to systems with delicate sps type corals. Fish only systems can use the additives with any ammonia or impurities present with no problems. And IME most easier soft type corals as well.

While some very advanced systems relying on water changes can have those problems, I really don't think the average hobbiest needs to worry about all this and can easily use these inexpensive chemicals.

but then I also feel that way about most thing in this hobby and refuse to spend $10,000 on systems.

I routinely gave away these chemicals at our local club meetings a and noone reported any problems with their corals. Not even the sps types.

Still Just my .02

Swordfish215

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say that the balancing act between alk, and calc. that all reefers go through, can be very disheartening to beginners and even veterans to the hobby....and the truth is, these levels will vary and can drive one crazy from tank to tank.....had a family member sick recently and their calcium levels were quite low and couldnt be maintained..The whole time I was thinking about how the balancing act within our own bodies is so similar to a marine tank...On the same note, its amazing how little these M.D.'s know about the complex relationships that exist between Calc,Mag,etc....

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brs two part so far it's been good to me no problems since I started using it had a alk problem before added baking soda got it up and started brs two part it's been a few months now making a new batch tonight for cal and alk.

The Lord is good.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed that DrsFS have gotten into the two-part bulk supplements game and are carrying up to 5 gallon bucket size. Considering their free shipping deal, that's by far the best deal on large-quantity chem's I'm aware of - especially at the largest size.

-Matt

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How this two part is working any feedback I go try to go this way pls if someone can tell me thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean exactly, but I'd suggest that more people on online boards use various versions of my DIY than any other calcium and alkalinity product, and it seems to work fine for them. Places like BRS and Dr Foster and Smith sell the ingredients now.

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try this one I confused for the different versions like if I go to home Depot for calcium wish producto is the one I have to buy? Is the only thing have me in hold to start.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if Home Depot sells a suitable calcium product at the moment.

Your best bet is to buy calcium chloride and magnesium chloride from a supplier such as Dr Foster and Smith if you cannot locate Dowflake and MAG Flake locally.

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I buy the ingredients and I ready make the calcium and the alkalinity one ready to try tomorrow I get the calcium chloride in my lfs

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went I make the alkalinity and pre heat the water I get a lot a evaporation from the mix I only have 1/2 of gallon and I added the rest with ro water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went I make the alkalinity and pre heat the water I get a lot a evaporation from the mix I only have 1/2 of gallon and I added the rest with ro water

That's fine. You can boil it if you want. :)

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I over douse my calcium my kh from 9.0 went to 9.5 and my ph looking good now

hectat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the same ppm but I test my and this is good is really work better than I thought alk and calcium good

iTread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this product safe for DIY Mag? Safe Step 8300 Magnesium Chloride Ice Melt

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back