Do high end skimmers work more efficiently?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people really did look to see what they can get for about $500 to work with a 300 gallon system. Glad I am not the only one that searches around. True pressure venturi skimmers work great but they require pressure pumps and the pumps can be noisy. Same with Beckett and injection skimmers. When I am looking at skimmer size if it gives a gallon range 200-400 this would be 200 gallon medium heavy load or about 150 gallons with SPS and lots of fish. If they only give a size like 250 gallon and no other info I look at that as light load good for LPS. Don't get me wrong each tank is different but I have had SCA, ETSS, Lifereef, Aqua C, Euro Reef, Reef Dynamics. For simplicity, and ease of maintenance I will take the Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics but if I am ever in the need for a new skimmer I will not look at price as much as how well it works, ease to clean, warranty, customer service. Most companies do not sell the exact same product for years so they become obsolete when you need repaired.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the sicce ADV 7 is going to have enough head pressure. I had a Lifereef 6 foot tall years ago the pump noise from having a pressure rated pump was not a problem as it was through the wall in the garage. Again this is what I was saying a lot of the old style skimmers still work very well.

The Sicce ADV 7.0 that I intend to get once it's released is rated at 1900 gph at 15 feet. I will be running it on a 24" Lifereef with a gate valve before the spa injector to dial down the flow. I've seen where people run Fluval SP4s on 30 and 36 inchers with no problems and SP4 only push 1800 gph at 12 feet... I think I'll be alright! ;)

The energy consumption on these new AC pumps from Sicce look to be extremely efficient, hence my interest in them for my Lifereef.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sicce ADV 7.0 that I intend to get once it's released is rated at 1900 gph at 15 feet. I will be running it on a 24" Lifereef with a gate valve before the spa injector to dial down the flow. I've seen where people run Fluval SP4s on 30 and 36 inchers with no problems and SP4 only push 1800 gph at 12 feet... I think I'll be alright! ;)

The energy consumption on these new AC pumps from Sicce look to be extremely efficient, hence my interest in them for my Lifereef.
keep us posted as I know it used to be Iwaki or mag drives because most lost a lot of flow with the head pressure. I am curious

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bubble King 250 is 11 years old and still solid. I recently retired the Red dragon pump (which still looks brand new inside) only because a snail got sucked in and wore down the impeller teeth. The body has been retrofitted with a new pump and the old pump is being sent to Canada where it will probably run for another 10 years.
The skimmer body has had ozone injected into it for many years also. There is a tiny bit of crazing on in the collection neck but is isnt wore out to say the least.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the higher end skimmers are providing higher end pump too, which lasts for a lot longer. (Theoretically) I know some bubble king owners going 10 plus years with no malfunction, or at least very minor ones. I think for long term peace of mind, u buy good quality products or else u spend 2 times as much replacing lower end gear twice as often.
This sums up my thoughts on high end skimmers perfectly. In the end bubbles are bubbles. But how often does a person need to buy a new pump and in the case of injecting ozone, how many years will the parts last before getting too brittle and breaking?

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Reef Octopus Classic 202-S. it worked ok but it was very very loud. I upgraded to a Nyos Quantum 160 (which cost 2x what my Reef Octopus did) and it pulls out way more nasty stuff then my Reef Octopus did AND it's almost dead silent. You get what you pay for in this hobby.

Totally agree, happened almost exactly the same thing. NYOS For me is the best the skimmer out there

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the most expensive is not necessarily the best but the cheapest are injection plastic and will not handle ozone or a drop. I also agree that many people have not spent money on higher priced skimmers so they can not compare. Never heard any complaints on Bubble King, ATB, RK2 and there are some others. So if you can see one in action or get honest feed back on a skimmer from real owners before you buy you can make a bigger decision. At one time I was thinking I would like to up size to a 500 gallon display and my skimmer will handle that, but I know now that do to health reasons I could never justify the expense unless someone was selling really cheap. you can compensate for undersized skimmers by using carbon, ATS, refugium. With a large enough refugium or ATS you could actually go skimmer less as more are doing it all the time.

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, purchasing that skimmer would have been 50% of what I'd already spent in total setting up... including tank and stand! Whereas I bought my V2 1500 second hand for £50.
Can I ask you, what is a V2 1500??? Sorry to be so out of touch, but I have no idea as to who makes that or anything else.. I would like to check it out.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close price wise, but also not very quiet

I run an MTC MVX and it can be just as quite as any needle wheel skimmer. I've modified it to not be. [emoji4]

I would assume a life reef can be just as quite.

I see people really did look to see what they can get for about $500 to work with a 300 gallon system. Glad I am not the only one that searches around. True pressure venturi skimmers work great but they require pressure pumps and the pumps can be noisy. Same with Beckett and injection skimmers. When I am looking at skimmer size if it gives a gallon range 200-400 this would be 200 gallon medium heavy load or about 150 gallons with SPS and lots of fish. If they only give a size like 250 gallon and no other info I look at that as light load good for LPS. Don't get me wrong each tank is different but I have had SCA, ETSS, Lifereef, Aqua C, Euro Reef, Reef Dynamics. For simplicity, and ease of maintenance I will take the Euro Reef/Reef Dynamics but if I am ever in the need for a new skimmer I will not look at price as much as how well it works, ease to clean, warranty, customer service. Most companies do not sell the exact same product for years so they become obsolete when you need repaired.

I have found with a mazzei venturi head pressure matters but it doesn't have to be a pressure rated pump.

By far my favorite skimmer is my current MTC MVX. For flexibility, skimming performance, superior aeration, and just plane fun to modify.

I've done a lot with this skimmer and still have plans to do more.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mtc-mvx-skimmer-review.252436/page-10

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 4' 240 lt tank has way too many corals and fish. I run a Fluval PS1 skimmer on a time switch so that it runs for 16hrs a day. My paramaters are always spot on. Luck of the draw or it does just what I need....who knows...
I don't have a sump so the option of 'bigger' was never an issue.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an MTC MVX and it can be just as quite as any needle wheel skimmer. I've modified it to not be. [emoji4]

I would assume a life reef can be just as quite.

I have found with a mazzei venturi head pressure matters but it doesn't have to be a pressure rated pump.

By far my favorite skimmer is my current MTC MVX. For flexibility, skimming performance, superior aeration, and just plane fun to modify.

I've done a lot with this skimmer and still have plans to do more.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/mtc-mvx-skimmer-review.252436/page-10
Yes I think mazzei Venturi skimmers work well. I used to have a 6 foot Life Reef but when I moved many years back it would mean I would have had to have it along side the tank. Height of needle wheel skimmers are one of the reasons they became so popular. Many of them can not be heard under the stand they are so quiet. Even my Reef Dynamics for being needle wheel is too tall to fit under most stands as it is 32 inches tall 10 inch diameter chamber. You are also like I used to be, modify to see if you can improve it just for fun.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the most expensive is not necessarily the best but the cheapest are injection plastic and will not handle ozone or a drop. I also agree that many people have not spent money on higher priced skimmers so they can not compare. Never heard any complaints on Bubble King, ATB, RK2 and there are some others. So if you can see one in action or get honest feed back on a skimmer from real owners before you buy you can make a bigger decision. At one time I was thinking I would like to up size to a 500 gallon display and my skimmer will handle that, but I know now that do to health reasons I could never justify the expense unless someone was selling really cheap. you can compensate for undersized skimmers by using carbon, ATS, refugium. With a large enough refugium or ATS you could actually go skimmer less as more are doing it all the time.

Most True--that's why I suggested Aquamaxx CO-3 (270g heavy load) But if you might go with a bigger tank I would agree CO-5 for sure. ( An extra $250--I don't know) I do own a Aquamaxx Q2 on my 75g, a Compact beast in a very small space.

cap232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the psk 1000 this morning. They confirmed the original Venturi cap will fit the psk.

I was kinda excited about buying a new skimmer. Was thinking about buying the $500 deltec. Now that I'm just replacing the pump on the reef dynamics I'm sure I can repurpose the money. Hopefully it works better. Never a shortage of crap to buy in this hobby.
let us know if the stock venture fits the psk

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know if the stock venture fits the psk
It didn't, which is what I was afraid of. The reef dynamics body has a 1" elbow at the body. One fitting from Home Depot took care of the top end perfectly. However the bottom intake side, it's slightly less than 1 inch on the pump side. The Venturi cap is 1". I took some 7/8" clear hose, made it really hot with a heat gun, and slid it on. It fits good with no air leaks. Not ideal but it will be fine. Considering all the things that I've been through, I'll take that. The psk 1000 works well. And once again it's making good bubbles.

IMG_6323.JPG

cap232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you need a smaller fitting for the skimmer inlet.? the rest looks like a easy mod to get a better pump.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you need a smaller fitting for the skimmer inlet.? the rest looks like a easy mod to get a better pump.
Its a standard fitting available anywhere. 3/4" threaded on the pump to 1" slip on that I didn't glue. The Venturi cap is the issue. The psk end won't fit anything unless it's custom fabricated. The other end is tight the way I have it, and it's not under pressure. The pump works good with the size of the skimmer body too. It's just dumb the don't make the end in a standard size.

OP
OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was a pretty neat comparison having 3 systems I can move things around.

This is 5 days of skimmate, both cups

Reef octopus 150 classic- overstocked 85 gallons TWV , nitrates around 40.

Reef dynamics 135, with my new pump, daily dosing N and P, 100 gal TWV, low stock tank. It's obviously pulling algae out of the water column, but more volume and darker color skimmate.

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

cap232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found that the old euro reef/ reef dynamics skimmers are real good. much better than some of the other new brands in the same price range. and are pretty much set and for get/easy to get skimming and stay that way

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back