Do you have Earthquake plans in place for your reef aquarium?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Inspired by this thread, where an earthquake just took place, I wondered how many of you worry about your reef tank and an earthquake.

Do you have a saltwater tank earthquake emergency plan in place? If so what does it consist of?

@GoldenStateCorals shared this video of an earthquake at their store in 2019!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I should though, considering that Earthquake just hit me. There's so many things that I could happen that I should have plans for, but, I don't. Haha.

Last edited:

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I've been through a 4.0 when I lived in Utah, but didn't feel the one we just had over the border in NJ. My buddy was near the epicenter and thought it was a truck going through.

Buckets, brute cans, Rubbermaid totes, and generator.

Ran home and just made sure nothing was leaking in the Utah quake I went through.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earthquake in New York makes the news, but the two that were in our area last night 4.3 and 4.5 don’t:face-with-tears-of-joy:! I have extra water and generators just in case of anything. I figure that if my 6 foot reef tank goes over, I probably have bigger issues to take care of. I have heard of people strapping their tanks to the wall, but I would rather have the tank go than the tank and the wall:astonished-face:!

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes! as someone who lives right on the west coast where they are very common, its definitely something i think about! my stand has a thick wooden lip around it to help keep the aquarium on there. but if its going to go its going to go! :flushed-face: other than that and prayer, havent been able to come up with any other preventive measures! i hate to think about how big of one it would take to topple it. if that happens, ill have more to worry about than the tank!:face-with-spiral-eyes:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than having a container to house things if the tank fails what exactly is there to prepare for? Maybe a power outage but still nothing unusual for a reef keeper.

I’m 20 miles from the epicenter of the one today in NJ and I didn’t feel a thing even though everyone else did….. the cats and the fish tank didn’t seem to notice either

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So funny. New York? Nevada? Come on. Unless you're in southern California or here in Alaska, most people don't even notice a magnitude 4. There was a day here in Fairbanks where we had quakes between 3 and 4 every 3-4 minutes all day long. Some of the rumbling could actually be faintly heard.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, you east coasters worry too much. You prep just like any other natural disaster event. The rock and roll of shaking isn't the issue, the power loss that usually accompanying the post shake is. I've lost some water over the top of the tank due to a few good shakers here in CA, but never had a tank or stand fail.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So funny. New York? Nevada? Come on. Unless you're in southern California or here in Alaska, most people don't even notice a magnitude 4. There was a day here in Fairbanks where we had quakes between 3 and 4 every 3-4 minutes all day long. Some of the rumbling could actually be faintly heard.
This. Call me when it breaks 6.0 and we will talk. Admittedly a 5.0 at the epicenter will get you moving at a reasonable pace if your in danger of something falling down, but otherwise the glass is broken and your peeved off.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh, you east coasters worry too much. You prep just like any other natural disaster event. The rock and roll of shaking isn't the issue, the power loss that usually accompanying the post shake is. I've lost some water over the top of the tank due to a few good shakers here in CA, but never had a tank or stand fail.
But the difference is you get them all the time and are used to them! When we get them it’s a rare event and something that shocks us because we don’t live in an area prone to them and usually they aren’t felt if they do happen.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I felt it a bit all the way here in the Boston area. My DVD tower and other furniture were swaying a bit for close to 30+ seconds.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the small ones quite often, we even get the clusters every couple of years. I never feel them and the tanks never seem to be affected, the only way I know is from the news.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 10KW Kohler generator, mounted it on a trailer, fabricated a sturdy steel-framed enclosure, and set it up outside next to the main breaker box. We can run the entire house almost indefinitely, including the furnace, well pump, electric dryer, and every appliance with capacity to spare. It's pre-heated so if we lose power at 50 below zero it'll crank right over.
430246381_803642444964094_8460738416227646632_n.jpg
367286386_684950130273430_2355379595366516628_n (1).jpg

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Call me when it breaks 6.0 and we will talk. Admittedly a 5.0 at the epicenter will get you moving at a reasonable pace if your in danger of something falling down, but otherwise the glass is broken and your peeved off.
Good to know! Thanks! You can do the same in CA when you get that rare so called 1 inch snow storm and you all run out for your milk and bread! “Alaska guy” you’re f@&ed lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back