Do you have Earthquake plans in place for your reef aquarium?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this is the same one you're talking about, but they are saying this quake was from a fault that has been very quiet for a few 100 million years. IMO, it's possible this fault will become very active in the next few years.
They had one right after Sept 11th too.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People in California laughing at us right now and making memes about it….
Despicable Me Lol GIF
It's all good! Stick me in the middle of a blizzard and I'd be a popsicle in no time.;)

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DVD tower....? What are you still using Bio-Balls too... :D :thinking-face::rolleyes::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I have a ton of dvds and cds . I’m not gonna buy them all over again….;)
And I was using bio balls when it was a freshwater….

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I dont. Being in Ca you'd think I should
Eh, if y'all have one again in the Bay area, it's gonna be bad like '89, just like were due for one again here in So Cal., last big LOCAL one was Northridge in '94. Our quakes are usually outright damaging, infrastructure is better built to deal with it until it hits a certain point on the Richter scale and all bets are off...

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When an emergency strikes we always execute the same plan; Drive quickly to as many stores that we can and loot all the, rice, bottled water, and toilet paper. Then we put them for sale on the internet marketplaces for significant mark ups or trade for stuff we might need.

Excited Episode 9 GIF by The Simpsons
:face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::eek:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When an emergency strikes we always execute the same plan; Drive quickly to as many stores that we can and loot all the, rice, bottled water, and toilet paper. Then we put them for sale on the internet marketplaces for significant mark ups or trade for stuff we might need.

You forgot the milk, bread, and eggs lol!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

:face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::eek:
Nah, I just hoard, less hassle. I'll use that TP one way or another.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was that guy, until my book of 300 CD's was ripped off from my car back in 2008 or so, I was just broken after that.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually... I still use bio-balls. :anguished-face: I have them floating around in my sumps so if I am doing a QT or have to do an emergency tank I have instant filtration. After I throw them in some bleach to clean them and air dry for three days and throw them back in the sump.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way. there's a very large fault line in Missouri so it goes to show no one is really safe.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in Alaska for over 10 years and had tanks through [many] quakes up to 7.9, only issue has been water splashing out as some others noted. If it's big enough to split the tank, you'll have other things to worry about..

Happy reefing! :kissing-face-with-closed-eyes:

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3785.jpeg

I picked up this model which was in rough shape and had issues fixed up and very happy with it. Some guys on YouTube have made hush boxes for them you won’t believe how quiet they get. But if you have one I strongly recommend to also either buy or make a bonding ground plug for it to be able to use appliances like your furnace for example.

Furnace - 400w (for summer months swap this with a 400-500w backup air conditioner pushing 5-10,000 btu. )
separate hot plate off Amazon for cooking - 500w (when in use)
Fridge 2x (main fridge with compressor on 700w when idle around 150w which is most of the time and my red bull mini fridge with is 150w compressor and 40w idling)

All my lights would be running off lithium battery inverters like this one rated for 150 watts placed wherever needed just in the evening hours that’s there required. A 4-12ah battery can last from days to weeks to months or more depending on responsible usage. These can run all types of aquarium pumps all day long too btw so convenient. And a fast charger plugged into the generator would pull 80-150w as needed to charge but I have a small factory supply of these lithium batteries.

IMG_3786.jpeg

the next upgrade would be to have the generator easily tie into the electrical panel directly in the event of power loss but my system which relies primarily on power delivery via extension cord is really just an eye sore.
The Ryobi battery power source is a great idea since I have a half dozen of these batteries on hand for power tools.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back