Don't start a siphon with your mouth...

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this story out! The president of my local club posted this on our club's forum. This guy almost died from starting the siphon for his tank using his mouth...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...left-retired-bus-driver-killer-infection.html

3C221ACB00000578-0-image-a-45_1484441983794.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm guilty. I even got the water in my mouth sometimes. Usually just washed it down with whatever drink I had nearby.
Well knock it off! :)

I wonder if bacteria was growing in the tube he was using or if it was from the tank directly... The latter is a scary thought.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He aspirated some of the solution, bacterial infections are quite common with aspiration.
The danger is definitely something to take notice of.
Will I still siphon using that method, yup as I have been doing so for over 30 years, and yes periodically I am not paying attention and get some solution in my mouth. I am more concerned about the toxins released by zoanthids and palys that I have been manipulating when cleaning a system.

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smokes !!! I started doing this .. Well guess time to get a bulb on my tube to siphon. Good to know will for sure place this .

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I siphoned a clogged sink. Inhaled what smelled like laundry detergent (the washer feeds into the pipe that was backing up into the sink). After getting it cleared a horrible smell of food in the drain.

Ya... I won't be doing that again.

For the fish tank I just use a pump. Now for the sink I fill he hose with water in a big U shape as I hold it. Put one end in. Then drop the other end and it will siphon without needing to inhale crap.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm guilty. I even got the water in my mouth sometimes. Usually just washed it down with whatever drink I had nearby.
Nothing that my ever-present whiskey on the rocks can't sanitize :)

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I use my mouth to syphon all the time and there are cases where I will get some water in my mouth which I spit out asap.

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to point out the man was 70 years old. Bacterial infections among the eldest of us are actually pretty common given the condition of their immune systems at that age. As Renee pointed out, its really no worse than swimming at the beach. Again, the immune system. ;)
Food for thought, thought for food!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back