Don't start a siphon with your mouth...

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know if you fill the large gravel cleaning attachment with tank water, and then raise it above the water level (like a full glass of water) it will automatically start the siphon for you. Then you plug the end once it starts and stick the gravel cleaning end back in the water and start siphoning.
Seriously it is really that easy! No mouthfuls of water EVER!

That's the method I go with if I'm using a gravel vac, or I pre-fill the hose at the sink. If I'm drawing a siphon manually, I stand with the end of the hose higher than the tank by a foot or two and put my thumb over the end of the hose once the water starts flowing over the edge of the tank (in the hose). You can plug it before it gets to the end of the hose, then lower it into the bucket. It keeps you from funneling your tank like a new pledge at a frat party.

At the end of the last frag show I went to, I saw so many people crouched on the floor next to their buckets trying to gt a siphon started. There were more than a few wet shirts and one person was struggling to get it started because they were flinching and putting the end of the hose in the bucket before the water was even flowing, some PTSD I think.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also stick the entire hose in the tank, fill it with water, put you thumb over the end, and drag it over the side of the tank to start a siphon. Even guys who've had a few whiskies on the rocks can do this one :)

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these to start my siphon... as I'm only using it to "remove" water, it's not a big deal to me that it has copper fittings.
s633844294780929184_p17_i1_w2560.jpeg

They used to sell one of these bulbs with light blue plastic fittings,no metal, I think like 5/8" diameter hose. I believe I used to get it from fosters and smith a long time ago! I have never seen these again. If anyone knows, let me know? In the meantime, I'm still sucking and spitting. Interesting to note, someone mentioned the older gentleman aspirated the salt water, meaning it went into his respiratory system. This is almost the equivalent of a near drowning, that always needs to be evaluated by Doctors for secondary infections involving the lungs.

Skydvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also stick the entire hose in the tank, fill it with water, put you thumb over the end, and drag it over the side of the tank to start a siphon.

That's another good one.
I've been working with really small tanks, so this hasn't been an option for a while.

Furiousreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some already said it, but only three cases being reported. The man is 70, anything bacteria inffections are potential life threatening. Fish poos happened to be the one that almost killed him.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the method I go with if I'm using a gravel vac, or I pre-fill the hose at the sink. If I'm drawing a siphon manually, I stand with the end of the hose higher than the tank by a foot or two and put my thumb over the end of the hose once the water starts flowing over the edge of the tank (in the hose). You can plug it before it gets to the end of the hose, then lower it into the bucket. It keeps you from funneling your tank like a new pledge at a frat party.

At the end of the last frag show I went to, I saw so many people crouched on the floor next to their buckets trying to gt a siphon started. There were more than a few wet shirts and one person was struggling to get it started because they were flinching and putting the end of the hose in the bucket before the water was even flowing, some PTSD I think.
I do it that way too with my thumb etc but last night during a water change I put my thumb over it late and sprayed the water on my eye[emoji23]

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we dont risk out lives during a water change we arent reefing....

And base jumpers thought their hobby was dangerous? Pfffft
With base jumping and apparently reefing....looks like the odds are seriously against me

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to starting a siphon by mouth, without getting a mouthful of the liquid you're moving, is to practice on gasoline. Did a fair bit of siphoning gas as a kid. Makes you careful in a big darned hurry :) I _never_ get aquarium water in my mouth ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back