Dreaded Dino’s will this be enough to id

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty sure I may have Dino’s. Snotty algae with bubbles on rock and dirty sand during day somewhat clean at night. I’m trying to counter with cleaning rocks, dosing Phyto and raising nitrate and phosphates. I picked this up hoping to id. I am trying the natural method as I am not a big fan of chemicals. Will this microscope be sufficient?

75295AC5-D683-4F66-A06E-BC46F0081F84.png

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like overkill, but yup, that will clearly work.
If the “stuff” does come off the sand, that’s the golden type.
Attack it with good UV, when it’s up in the column and increase biodiversity.
I used Dino-X. Got tried of it.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you I printed that out to help in the future if I need to identify. Since adding the Uv I have not seen any on the rocks and it’s been over a week with the lights on and no “snotty” algae with bubbles on my rockwork.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been 2 weeks since installing the Uv light and doing a 3 day black out and the snotty bubble algae on the rocks has not come back and the rocks are looking better. Fingers crossed whatever algae it was I no longer have an issue with it since the UV light.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the exact reasoning, but every dino discussion I've been a part of says not to use digital microscopes. They all say to use the standard mechanical ones. The sweet spot for magnification is x400 anything more is overkill. Jason Mack runs an excellent FB group called "Mack's Reef... Dinoflagellates support group!". They helped me beat dino twice!

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also used Dino x in the past and it worked and uv depends on the Dino your fighting against really

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the exact reasoning, but every dino discussion I've been a part of says not to use digital microscopes. They all say to use the standard mechanical ones. The sweet spot for magnification is x400 anything more is overkill. Jason Mack runs an excellent FB group called "Mack's Reef... Dinoflagellates support group!". They helped me beat dino twice!
Correct. Obviously, microscopes magnify things using lenses. Digital magnification just makes the current image shown larger. So, if it's a little blurry at 100X and you use digital magnification to 500X it will still be just as blurry but magnified. It's like moving closer to your TV. Still just as blurry, but from closer up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back