Welcome to R2R and the salty world.
H8VECcFiTCylIqSp-MdpRw.jpeg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Scubanurse Welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2 Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to Reef2Reef battling Dinos as well right now. Different strain but going to black out for 5 days only have a few zoas and two fish at the moment as well as adding 1ml of MicrBacter 7 for 5 days during the day. Will also be siphoning the sandbed through filter sock and putting the water back in but my NO3 and PO4 are not as high and need to keep what I have. Hope you beat them as they can get really frustrating to battle.
High Five Boom GIF by TipsyElves.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and its important though to identify the type of dino for most effective battle.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.
Doing a daily siphoning will help greatly But . . . . . Siphoning will reduce nutrients , so siphon the water into/through a filter sock and save the water and return it back to tank. Obviously clean the filter sock each time.
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, welcome to the group. Over the many years of setting up new tanks, we have not done any water changes during this stage. We use a Maxjet 1200 pumping water and debris into a 10-micro sock filter suspended in or over the tank during scraping/brushing of the rock. Many take a few times, but works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back