DREAM FISH: You finally we're able to do it!! Tell us about it!

Do you have your dream fish swimming in your tank right now?

• Yes I have my dream fish

Votes: 80 16.9%
  • No I don't have my dream fish but hopefully one day

Votes: 221 46.6%
  • I don't have any dream fish

Votes: 70 14.8%
  • I have many dream fishes yet to own

Votes: 103 21.7%

• Total voters

jdstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wha

What size is your tank?
Also forgot I have a Desjardini in that gang as well. She was my first tang in the current group. Had a yellow and blue over a decade ago but sold them with that system. I’ve found tricks over the years to keeping same species tangs in the same system and happy/non fighting. My acan tangs are best friends - always together. The purple and Desjardini just respect each other’s space and never quarrel with anyone. Lots of other people have had similar success and I figured why not give it a shot. Worse case, they move into a different tank but it appears I got model citizen tangs.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet.
Not available much outside Japan, kinda expensive, and will probably eat my corals lol.
7C6CB6FF-A518-410A-B4C2-1B6087659B26.jpeg

but probably wouldn’t be able to pass up if had the opportunity.
Looks like its covered in chain mail armor! <3

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best parts of saltwater reef aquariums are the beautiful exotic fish that swim in and out through the rocks and corals. They make your reef tank come alive with movement and color. I don't know about you but for me there has always been "dream fish" or the fish that you wish you could house but can't due to various reasons. Could be cost, could be tank size but most of the time I feel like it has to do with being able to keep that certain fish healthy and thriving. So let's talk about that today! I want to hear success stories and how you made it work!

1. What is a dream fish that you were FINALLY able to add to your tank and KEEP it healthy?

2. What changed or how were you able to make the leap from DREAM to REALITY?

3. What is a DREAM fish that you currently don't have but would like to have one day?

Photo Credit @Lemon Tyk Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus, the Madagascan half-striped flasher wrasse
1.jpg
This will be added to my list !

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dreamfish was the first one I bought, my eel! once my tank was ready for him, picked him up from his baby sitter and he's been going great
I do have two more though
harlequin tusk and a comet fish (aka marine Betta)

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both are in the same tank. I have a 6 ft tank, 215 gals. I also have 2 yellow tangs, a sailfin and a regal. They are all less than 4 inches. There is currently some fighting going on....none that I can see during the day but I can tell by the nips on their tails and dorsal fins. I am hoping that this will subside soon. I think the sailfin and regal are the ones having issues with the gems. I'm monitoring the situation closely.

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like a surgeon fish one day but it’s too big for my tank one day tho one day
1577161736016.jpeg

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot I have a Desjardini in that gang as well. She was my first tang in the current group. Had a yellow and blue over a decade ago but sold them with that system. I’ve found tricks over the years to keeping same species tangs in the same system and happy/non fighting. My acan tangs are best friends - always together. The purple and Desjardini just respect each other’s space and never quarrel with anyone. Lots of other people have had similar success and I figured why not give it a shot. Worse case, they move into a different tank but it appears I got model citizen tangs.
Would you try the same thing in a 205 gallon display tank? I’m curious to know how you’ve succeeded in doing this. I would love an Achilles and powder blue in my tank

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0C6488B7-D856-4E7E-A4AE-33E95A73E3D6.png

I’ve had my dream fish (clarion angel) since he was a 50 cent piece. Now hes around a dinner plate. It’s been a good 4+ years now. I couldn’t ask for a better tank resident :)
Does he lose his dark orange colouring as he matures?

Boston reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he lose his dark orange colouring as he matures?
He’s already changed into his adult coloration. As a juvi he was vivid orange with blue circles on his sides. As they mature they become a more greenish orange and they loose the blue from the sides.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s already changed into his adult coloration. As a juvi he was vivid orange with blue circles on his sides. As they mature they become a more greenish orange and they loose the blue from the sides.
Oh ok. I did not know that. Your’s is the first big one that I’ve ever seen

jdstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you try the same thing in a 205 gallon display tank? I’m curious to know how you’ve succeeded in doing this. I would love an Achilles and powder blue in my tank
There’s not a huge difference in water volume but, in a perfect world, sure I’d try it again. I think a lot boils down to watching the fish behavior, and a lot of luck.
All of my tangs except the Achilles went in at the same time. The Desjardini was by far the largest, she was about 4” at the time. The Powder Blue and 2-Spot were about equal size at 2.5” and the purple was around 3.5”. The Achilles went in 2 months later after everyone was able to establish some territory. The reason I did that was because of the reputation Achilles have for being very aggressive. Worst case, he was going to be a solo tang in his own living quarters. But it worked out great and for whatever reason (luck I guess), he and the PBT are always swimming together. Never had so much as a tail wag that I’ve seen or recorded on tank cam.
One thing I noticed was that putting nori on a rock and dropping it on the bottom of the tank made for serious territory aggression issues. I always feed mine using suction clips mounted as high as possible in the tank. No one cares much then when eating. I only feed every other day, let them be tangs the in between days and graze like tangs do in the wild.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hippo Tang. Which I got last Monday!! The previous owner had her in a 10 gallon!!! That's abuse!! So got her for a good price ($25!!) from my LFS who wanted her to go to a good home. She's settled in nicely and begs for food like the rest as you can see.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not a huge difference in water volume but, in a perfect world, sure I’d try it again. I think a lot boils down to watching the fish behavior, and a lot of luck.
All of my tangs except the Achilles went in at the same time. The Desjardini was by far the largest, she was about 4” at the time. The Powder Blue and 2-Spot were about equal size at 2.5” and the purple was around 3.5”. The Achilles went in 2 months later after everyone was able to establish some territory. The reason I did that was because of the reputation Achilles have for being very aggressive. Worst case, he was going to be a solo tang in his own living quarters. But it worked out great and for whatever reason (luck I guess), he and the PBT are always swimming together. Never had so much as a tail wag that I’ve seen or recorded on tank cam.
One thing I noticed was that putting nori on a rock and dropping it on the bottom of the tank made for serious territory aggression issues. I always feed mine using suction clips mounted as high as possible in the tank. No one cares much then when eating. I only feed every other day, let them be tangs the in between days and graze like tangs do in the wild.
Ok great. I don’t have any fish yet. I’m planning out all the fish I want and then deciding an order from less aggressive at the beginning and the tangs at the end. I’m hoping to put all the tangs in at once or do like you did and add the Achilles and maybe powder blue together after that. I have a 55 gallon tank for my QT. I might get a second one for QT I’m thinking of doing a peroxide treatment at the beginning of qt as well to help with the ice, velvet etc

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back