Dual sump/refugium, does this look ok?

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kinda crude pic, Herbi drain from tank into sump tank, through two 7" filter socks, into standard sump area for (probes, heaters, chiller), than bubble trap to return area.

Two bulkheads from there, one for skimmer pumps and other to return pump.

Skimmer will dump into refugium tank, through bubble wall to return area.

Both return areas connected with a t fitting.

Both tanks are acrylic 100s, 60x18x18

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump may pull more water from the bottom side than from the refuge side. You may have some issues there. Why not just make it return from the refuge side?

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out why you wouldn't put your skimmer in the sump?...

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump may pull more water from the bottom side than from the refuge side. You may have some issues there. Why not just make it return from the refuge side?
There not stacked, side by side under the tank(72x60x24). Sorry my diagram is rough. Thanks

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real way to feed five from Sump with out Using a pump to pump from sump to refugium. Be next to impossible to match flow from tanks over flow that way. Refugium will be set to 15" water depth vs sumps 10"

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue will be adjusting it so the one or the other won't overflow. I think it would be easier to have a dual or 2 over flow boxes with pumps for both or you could push the 2 together drill holes though both and put bulkheads as over flow for both then you could have just one pump.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the issue will be adjusting it so the one or the other won't overflow. I think it would be easier to have a dual or 2 over flow boxes with pumps for both or you could push the 2 together drill holes though both and put bulkheads as over flow for both then you could have just one pump.
The problem with this, two pump and two overflows never flow the exact same. There has to be a crossover to keep them linked at some point.

They can not be set right next to each othe due to tank supports.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kinda modeled after the old Oceanic system one and two set ups. Two sumps, one a wet dry being fed by one overflow and the second being there "reef" sump holding the skimmer being feed from the second overflow. From the bulkhead in the sumps hoses would run into a t. The 3rd leg of the t was connected to the return pump, than back to the tank.

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase I typed it all wrong. You could have a one overflow box running to just one or have dual running one hose to one sump and one to the other or you could do any set up you want or run 2 pumps but yes the 2 sump would have to be connected like push together with bulkheads or a couple bulkheads down low with a hose. As long as the 2 sumps are connected some how it won't matter if u run one pump or 2 or 1 or 2 overflows. I'll draw a pic what I'm trying to say.

14640424185141970536419.jpg

1464042462908529387782.jpg

14640424859612091050988.jpg

Zac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only part that would scare me is having the return pump on like a T pulling from both

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, had a set up like the first diagram and may go that route again. Not wanting to push that much flow through the refugium (4300gph return pump vs 1100gph skimmer pump). Plus having multiple valves on the overflow drain turned into a massive tuning problem and inconsistent water level in the overflow.

Info I forgot is overflow is a Herbi with 2" drains.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%

Back