Eel care guide!

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Tried squid last night, but no go. He didnt want it. Ill grab some ghost shrimp today and give that a shot.

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with blue ribbon eels. I've had mine for a bit more then a week. Help would be great!!

Bolivar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tyler1503, I enjoyed reading your post and it provided helpful information regarding snowflake eels.

We have a 5-6 inches snowflake eel and we absolutely enjoy him! Or should I say her...after reading this post. Anywho, what brought me to your post is because we had been worried about our eel. We had noticed she was pale. To explain further and more in detail, we add zoe and vita-chem in the fish food for our other fish. We have attempted to do the same for our eel in raw shrimp but she did not seem to want it so we tried again without the zoe and vita-chem the other day, there was some success there. Now, what I am wondering and trying to figure out is...is her being pale due to lack of vitamins/zoe in her food or is she sick due to something else?

She did throw up twice. However, this morning, I decided to add only 2 drops each of both the zoe and vita-chem. She actually ate! She even looks better as well.

Just for future reference, I'd like to know what this may be about in your opinion/experience with the eels.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thankyou sooooooooooooooooooooooo much for the imformation as I am getting a very very small zebra moray eel and the amount of time you put in was very useful and I am very thankful thankyou :) :)

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry everyone, I've been absent from the forum for quite a while.
Are anyone's questions/inquiries still valid?
I'll help out the best I can!! :)

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely work towards at least prong feeding of the eel, getting them comfortable for your hand. This will make capturing them once they are too large for your tank.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler, have you seen the saltwater LIVE feeder shrimp on liveaquaria and ebay? Would this work for morays? Could someone put 3 or 4 in the display tank with eel at one time and let them chase them down as prey thereby not having to feed an eel few times a week? If the dump and feed doesn't work I think feeding live shrimp with long plastic tweezers (or what you use) and dangling in front of her might work?

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyler, have you seen the saltwater LIVE feeder shrimp on liveaquaria and ebay? Would this work for morays? Could someone put 3 or 4 in the display tank with eel at one time and let them chase them down as prey thereby not having to feed an eel few times a week? If the dump and feed doesn't work I think feeding live shrimp with long plastic tweezers (or what you use) and dangling in front of her might work?
usually moray eels are either to slow, not used to eating them, don't recognise them as food, and sometimes use their sense of smell to catch food, putting it in front of them would work, I have a snowflake moray eel and I have thirty feeder shrimp breeding in their (4 foot refugium/ tank) and they breed which I feed my predatory wrasse and swallow tail hawk in my reef tank above, he does not eat the shrimp or very small fish in his tank and is trained to eat from tongs and frozen shrimp lance fish and chooped fresh food, goodluck but remember to use a variety of fresh and frozen foods good luck

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do as of a few days ago. So far so good.
Screenshot_2016-02-18-09-16-29.png

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually moray eels are either to slow, not used to eating them, don't recognise them as food, and sometimes use their sense of smell to catch food, putting it in front of them would work, I have a snowflake moray eel and I have thirty feeder shrimp breeding in their (4 foot refugium/ tank) and they breed which I feed my predatory wrasse and swallow tail hawk in my reef tank above, he does not eat the shrimp or very small fish in his tank and is trained to eat from tongs and frozen shrimp lance fish and chooped fresh food, goodluck but remember to use a variety of fresh and frozen foods good luck
OK then, variety is what I need to key-in on.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back