Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are driving me crazy. I tried one dose of the fenbendazole last year. It melted them for a little while, but I couldn't put in any softies, shrooms, invertebrates, and zoos for almost 3-4 months. These guys still came. I have been hesitant to add more since I'm worried about the long term affects. I've been trying to manually tackle them by 1) completely removing rocks (without corals) with them on it and baking and drying them out in the sun, 2) removing corals from rocks that have them; 3) scrubbing the cloves off the corals outside the tank. Just when I think I got them, they show up somewhere else that didn't have them before. From what I can tell they spread with tendrels, but do also spread spores some how. If so, the Fenben may be only way to eradicate them.
I feel some of your pain. That being said, I dosed 4 grams. 2 grams on Super bowl Sunday and 2 more grams the next day. I have a 180 gallon reef. 2 weeks later I started to put carbon and poly filter pads along with big water change. 2-30 gallon changes within a week of each other. I was hoping this routine would pull out much or all of the fenben. Started adding snails. They’re thankfully doing great. Added a small leather it’s still closed after two weeks. My zoas in the tank that were present during the dosing are coming back. I’m doing another water change tomorrow. Fyi. no blue clove polyps have returned. Yay! Good luck.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having to go thru this entire thread. I have tons of BCP in a full blown mixed reef tank with many corals. Is this treatment safe with my sps dominant tank? I have a lot of collector corals and many collector fairy wrasses and want to make sure I don’t have any losses.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without having to go thru this entire thread. I have tons of BCP in a full blown mixed reef tank with many corals. Is this treatment safe with my sps dominant tank? I have a lot of collector corals and many collector fairy wrasses and want to make sure I don’t have any losses.
So as far as the wrasses chances of survival, I had 2 Redfin Fair Wrasses before dosing and I did read one reefers post that it would kill them. My dosing 4 grams of fenben did not hurt any of the fish, even my wrasses.
As far as your corals, I removed my clams, Gorgonians, snails, crabs, soft corals and lps into my new frag tank at the time. Most everything survived the move back and forth. Once I dosed Fenbendazole and went weeks doing water changes, using carbon and introducing a poly filter all of which helped in med removal, I also started adding many sps frags from my frag tank into the display. They are all doing well. But I was in some transition in regards to having sps in the tank at the time of the initial dose. So I’m not the guy to talk to about sps survival rates after dosing. Can you frag some off of each colony and hold them for a month or so. I believe many in your will survive based on what I’ve read from many going through this. On a personal note. I would definitely!!! go through dosing again. My tank is showing good signs of recovery. No BCPs !!!! I would encourage you to wipe out this plague. Nothing else will. Good luck.

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I had no issue with sps. But in all honesty my tank wasn’t same for about 6 months. Snails dies and rotted behind the rocks… Killed all my cloves as well. But it did the job. Never had a bcp again

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dealing with something like this you can’t research enough, you need to go through and read every comment in this thread. You don’t just want a half butt when doing this. It took me three treatments, everybody’s going to have different results but when it comes to something this serious read the comments. You’ll be glad you did.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as others have said you have to really be sure it's worth the risk. In my case it was. I have 17 wrasses including a very hard to come by Hawaiian Flame. None showed any signs of trouble and they're still well today several months later. I also have several acro mini colonies including a Walt Disney and Cherrybomb. Both and many others survived. My only advice is watch the increase in nitrates. Several water changes may be needed.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Find my experience with the food with fenbendazole in it. It is in my build thread and linked on here. Full of sensitive acropora and no issues... but it took a while. It was recommended to me by another who has a tank full of sensitive acropora.

I don't see any reason to try and kill the stuff in a day or two when the slow approach also works and is quite safe, IME.

OptlmusCrime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find my experience with the food with fenbendazole in it. It is in my build thread and linked on here. Full of sensitive acropora and no issues... but it took a while. It was recommended to me by another who has a tank full of sensitive acropora.

I don't see any reason to try and kill the stuff in a day or two when the slow approach also works and is quite safe, IME.
You can be more specific with the food combination? food of fish or corals? How to use it? Regards,

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping that someone can tell me whether Fenbendazole treatment will affect anemones, specifically, RBTAs and rock nems? Also what does it do to mushrooms and ricordia?

Ashwinclement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping that someone can tell me whether Fenbendazole treatment will affect anemones, specifically, RBTAs and rock nems? Also what does it do to mushrooms and ricordia?
I just completed fenbendazole treatment for my display and frag. I did 2.5mg/gallon in the display which had rock nems, yuma and ricordia mushrooms, none reacted badly, I kept that level for two weeks, before I started doing daily 25% water change for 4 days and now running carbon to remove the remaining. In my frag, I think i miscalculated the water volume and fenbandazole and did a overdose which ticked off all corals, they all closed up, RBTA in the frag deflated for two to three days, I did a 75% water change to reduce the concentration and the RBTA came back to health and doing well now. Corals are recovering slowly, nothing died except BCP. I did remove leathers, GSP to my other tank so i expected only BCP to die. Phosphate went to 0.35ppm in my display due to the BCP die off and some acros browned, phosphate came down with water changes, Cyano popped up, feeding on the dead BCP, I could see cyano on all the places where I had BCP before, just did a chemi clean. I used Panacur 1gm packets

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all of the above and the treatment didn't affect any of them.

drebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really informative thread and much appreciated!! Hoping folks can provide some perspective on treatment. Tanks been up for over 8 mos. Parm not horrible nitrate at phosphate at .12 and alk 8.32. Sorta reluctant to go med route b/c impacting inhabitants. I do have a healthy pod population and had been doing amino’s but stopped with these showing up. Pic shows where droids are on the frag which is POed from the hydroids. Thinking do a H202 dip at 10% peroxide to SW w/ 3% H2O2. Maybe glue over after? Anyways if you have any thoughts on treatment,etc I’m all ears. Went down a rabbit hole reading about this
4D22DA6B-29A1-4869-AEAF-985EF117673D.jpeg
17CE9F7A-EFAD-479C-90DB-78ADBF1F8CB2.jpeg

drebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really informative thread and much appreciated!! Hoping folks can provide some perspective on treatment. Tanks been up for over 8 mos. Parm not horrible nitrate at phosphate at .12 and alk 8.32. Sorta reluctant to go med route b/c impacting inhabitants. I do have a healthy pod population and had been doing amino’s but stopped with these showing up. Pic shows where droids are on the frag which is POed from the hydroids. Thinking do a H202 dip at 10% peroxide to SW w/ 3% H2O2. Maybe glue over after? Anyways if you have any thoughts on treatment,etc I’m all ears. Went down a rabbit hole reading about this
4D22DA6B-29A1-4869-AEAF-985EF117673D.jpeg
17CE9F7A-EFAD-479C-90DB-78ADBF1F8CB2.jpeg
Crap sorry not enough coffee this morning meant to post in another thread. Duh.

ihateSpirorbids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys use for fenbendazole? I can't find any Thomas's fenbendazole anywhere. Any recommended alternatives?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 59 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back