Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

mjt82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow - I have a ton of asterinas, and a flame hawk that loves to eat harlequin shrimp, so they've been tough to eradicate... That may be a win for me as well.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I double dosed what I did last time, 2 grams, 125 gallons. Everything looks a little stressed? Wall hammer and about 80 percent of my Zoanthids. Pretty much all Zoanthids in my tank. It’s been 24 hours and the BCP are pretty much gone. This morning I could still see a few of them then I had to go to work hopefully tomorrow morning everything looks OK or else I should do a water change don’t you think? Or let it ride a little longer?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water volume is close to 180g which includes my 30 or so gallons in my sump. I dosed 4 grams and nothing has come back a year later now! 2 grams is significant but don’t be afraid to dose another gram and let your tank go for 10 days/2 weeks. My Zoas hated it as well but they didn’t die. They’ve come back amazingly in the last 6 months. Hold off on your water changes for at least another week, you’ll be glad you did.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water volume is close to 180g which includes my 30 or so gallons in my sump. I dosed 4 grams and nothing has come back a year later now! 2 grams is significant but don’t be afraid to dose another gram and let your tank go for 10 days/2 weeks. My Zoas hated it as well but they didn’t die. They’ve come back amazingly in the last 6 months. Hold off on your water changes for at least another week, you’ll be glad you did.
Sounds good!! Thank you!!!

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I'm amazed that Fenbendazole targets BCP and not anything else! I used in in 2012 for an BCP outbreak. Came on a frag I bought and quickly took over. My guess is BCP is not a coral species at all but a parasitic fungus or something for Fenbendazole to even work to eliminate it.

Last edited:

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I'm amazed that Fenbendazole targets BCP and not anything else! I used in in 2012 for an BCP outbreak. Came on a *** I bought and quickly took over. My guess is BCP is not a coral species at all but a parasitic fungus or something for Fenbendazole to even work to eliminate it.
I agree. I’m 50 years old and have been doing this for over 25 years and I’ve never seen these things before up until about a year or so ago? Total pain in the butt!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if my memory serves, Sansibia, Blue Sympodium and BCPs all seem to be very similar in appearance. The crazy thing is that BCPs aren’t toxic or sting other corals when they touch the others do as common soft corals do. When BCPs are being invasive nothing is really shutting down or closing up and the hobbyist unknowingly ignores it. Hey enjoy your holidays! Merry Christmas.

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a very long time since I’ve been on this site. The tank has lived through two hurricanes, an alkalinity spike, and a lot of neglect. At this point it is about 25% covered in blue anthelia or blue clove polyps.

I am about to do a tank reset and just ordered new LED lights. This most recent hurricane killed a huge green toadstool and of the LPS. At this point all that’s left is a few colonies of zoanthids, several bounce mushrooms, a TON of mojano/Aptasia, along with four rainbow bubble tip and anemones.

I’m planning on doing this treatment and was wondering if the bounce shrooms and the anemones will survive?

Also, is there a preferred link to acquire the meds? My tank is 410 gallons but actual water volume between sump and tank is only about 400 gallons.

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a very long time since I’ve been on this site. The tank has lived through two hurricanes, an alkalinity spike, and a lot of neglect. At this point it is about 25% covered in blue anthelia or blue clove polyps.

I am about to do a tank reset and just ordered new LED lights. This most recent hurricane killed a huge green toadstool and of the LPS. At this point all that’s left is a few colonies of zoanthids, several bounce mushrooms, a TON of mojano/Aptasia, along with four rainbow bubble tip and anemones.

I’m planning on doing this treatment and was wondering if the bounce shrooms and the anemones will survive?

Also, is there a preferred link to acquire the meds? My tank is 410 gallons but actual water volume between sump and tank is only about 400 gallons.
I’m afraid of making things any worse in the tank. I found these online:

Does that fit the bill to do this treatment? If so, is the recommended dose 2mg per gallon?

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this in a proper zoa dominated display?

I have a boat load of all over my main SPS scape and now it’s spreading to my zoa gardens?
Is there anyone here that’s a collector of Zoas who’s successfully used this and had minimal losses?
At a guess I have roughly 150+ different zoas, so a lot of time spent finding them, paying for postage and avoiding them melt on me.
Using fenbendazole would be my last resort and rather keen not to scrap an entire SPS scape and start again…

(Also, anyone on here from the UK and how did you manage to get hold of Fenbendazole?)

Attachments

• 2C2FBF4F-D7B1-47DA-8CEB-590E9389E47F.jpeg
    2C2FBF4F-D7B1-47DA-8CEB-590E9389E47F.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 40

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother, good luck with this, it’s definitely an extreme measure. That being said, it works! One year ago I dosed my 180g reef with 4grams. My only patch of zoas we’re definitely stressed during all of this but survived. They have since tripled in size over the past year.
1B2B702D-18E7-4B30-B1AE-0FD5A10F237D.jpeg

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother, good luck with this, it’s definitely an extreme measure. That being said, it works! One year ago I dosed my 180g reef with 4grams. My only patch of zoas we’re definitely stressed during all of this but survived. They have since tripled in size over the past year.
Cool

did you have any losses of cuc at that high of a dose or any LPS?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool

did you have any losses of cuc at that high of a dose or any LPS?
So I took out all of my snails and crabs and actually used then as a way to see if the Fenbenazol was completely out of the tank water. I did have a Alveopora that declined quickly when I moved it into my frag tank. Not sure why.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some of this on hand, and I ordered some more and put 4 g into my 125. Zoas hated it, my Wall hammer hated it. No carbon or skimmer for a week. Then I added carbon for about four days, then began doing water changes 30 gallons each every three days to make sure I got it all out. As of today the BCP have not come back. All the previous times I never noticed any of the other corals showing ill effects? Just my experience but if you’re not seeing any irritation or Zoas or other corals you’re not using enough. Again, that’s just my opinion but they are gone and this is the first time I really think I’ve gotten rid of them. I also added the 4 g all at once instead of slowly adding it. This is like the fourth time I’ve tried to get rid of these. Hopefully this works. Currently I’m having a huge algae outbreak. I’ve got a new cleanup crew on the way, I don’t have any snails left only a couple of crabs otherwise I didn’t lose anything at all. Hopefully this helps somebody it worked for me.

Attachments

• 67F866A7-406E-4A92-A741-8B94489F7B80.jpeg
    67F866A7-406E-4A92-A741-8B94489F7B80.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 27

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help on this!!! Definitely good advice. I really appreciate it.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help on this!!! Definitely good advice. I really appreciate it.
So glad to help! Believe me, coming home and seeing corals in my tank taking hold, nothing better!!! Happy New Year!

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can someone please include a link to the best page for info on this subject? How much per gallon, the best product to use, how long til water changes and turning skimmer on and adding carbon? It’d be greatly appreciated. I know it’s out there somewhere but I also know treatments evolve over the years on these forums so I want to use the right dose, etc….

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please include a link to the best page for info on this subject? How much per gallon, the best product to use, how long til water changes and turning skimmer on and adding carbon? It’d be greatly appreciated. I know it’s out there somewhere but I also know treatments evolve over the years on these forums so I want to use the right dose, etc….
It’s all here in this thread. @Glenner’sreef instructions worked perfect for me. 4 grams of Pancur is what I used for my 125 gallon. Carbon after 5 days and then water changes starting on day 7. If your Zoanthids aren’t showing irritation you haven’t used enough. (My opinion)

Attachments

• 380857C8-EFBA-49BA-9FCE-41800CDA5E8C.jpeg
    380857C8-EFBA-49BA-9FCE-41800CDA5E8C.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 47

danfee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s all here in this thread. @Glenner’sreef instructions worked perfect for me. 4 grams of Pancur is what I used for my 125 gallon. Carbon after 5 days and then water changes starting on day 7. If your Zoanthids aren’t showing irritation you haven’t used enough. (My opinion)
Ok that took a bit but read all 31 pages on this. Good job guys. I don’t recall any info on clams though. They can be left in tank, correct?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back