Eshopps 3rd. gen R-100 Refugium

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I think this is my first thread on here. Anyway, I currenty have a 70 gallon SPS dominated reef(about 18 months old) and I finally decided to get a real sump!!! Instead of the 20 gallon glass tank I am using I decided on the Eshopps 3rd. Gen. R-100 refugium sump.
I had to take some measurments to be sure my Reef Octopus Classic 110 skimmer would fit in the skimmer compartment. It does!! So I placed the order.
I am hoping to get better filtration with this sump, as water is not allowed to wander around where ever it so desires anymore!
About 70-80% of the water is directed right to the skimmer. About aprox. 20-30% goes through the refugium.
I have never been one much for fancy pants sumps, but I think I can benefit from this sump and it was affordable!
Im new here, so I will try and post some pics now. IF the pic does not load..........hey, I will try again!
ES12855-2_zpspr5rh21i.jpg.html

Thank you

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then........................I gots it! LOL!! So, this design looks great. Water enters the far left, and has to rise up a tube, then spills over into the filter sock. This is the first chamber. Thinking I can put my heater in there no problem! Water chanels under the refugium(center section) and goes into the Skimmer compartment. Thats the largest far right chamber. You can see the three slots in the center chamber for water to enter the refugium. This water will dump into the back directly into the return pump chamber, through a sponge as well. There are slots in the skimmer chamber that will allow water to exit into the return pump chamber as well.
This should maximize my filtration quite a bit. I really like the water entrance into the unit, and am excited to see how quiet the sump runs.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to run a Waveline 6000 DC pump for the return. This will give me quite a bit of adjustability. I have two Eheim hobby pumps for back ups just in case I have a problem. I think I will run the return and tee off from it to my chiller. This will save on room and electricity. What do you guys think?
Thanks!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! I just purchased 2 cobalt easy therm 100 watt heaters for the sump! They are only .4 of 1 inch thick. Should work well in the sump and take up very little room.
I can get rid of my ugly 150 watt round glass ebo jager heater with terrible temperature controller on top!
You can hit the cobalts with a hammer and they will not break!! No glass at all!

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Josh! I cannot wait to get it. Will be here by the end of the day tomorrow. Just crossing my fingers it arrives one piece and not broken. This is pretty common with sumps.
I will have the new heaters as well. Then will start laying out and planning for the switch over. I kinda want it in front of me to sketch out how I want everything.
Im going to be using some nice gate valves and PVC to keep things tidy and easy to work on.

OP
OP
SPSREEFS

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it warp bad? I would call them, as I have not heard that from anyone else. Maybe they can send you a replacement??.
Mine should be here today. Then I can start planning the plumbing. Im going to run my chiller off my return line as well. This will save me room and electricity, as I can delete one pump altogether.
Trying to get it as efficient as I can.................

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back