Experience with Yellow Coris Wrasse?

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one in a 32gal Biocube for a year, and have not had any issues with it. It lives with two mismatched clowns (one misbar ocellaris and one black ocellaris), a sarin shrimp, and CUC. Being a Biocube, there's a cover, so jumping's not an issue. It's still about 2-3" long and really hasn't grown. The plan has been that once this tank becomes too small, I'll move it downstairs to the 300gal reef I have.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate all the feedback. I will most likely not add one unless I find an itty-bitty one that I could keep for a little and then rehome once it becomes too large. I will be on the lookout for a smaller variety such as a possum wrasse though. Thank you, everyone and happy holidays!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have one. very friendly and hardy but also a sand burro(er) that can really make a mess in the bedding

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one on every crowd. I won't have another one, the one I had in a 60 gal tank killed all my cuc crew twice before I understood what was happening.

theKoolAidMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years and years ago I had one in a 30 gallon (prob too small, but I was an eager college kid). He was a model citizen until he went carpet surfing and I found him as a lump of yellow fish jerky in the morning.

Pjhjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Wondering who has had experience keeping a yellow coris wrasse? What is their temperament like and what size tank would you recommend for one? Has anyone seen any aggression from the YCW?

Thanks!!

#reefsquad
We have a 90 gallon tank and have had a Coris wrasse for about one for a year. It's grown from 2" to 4" and never bothers any of our other fish (Royal Gramma, two black & white clowns, Banggai Cardinal, Zebra Barbed Dartfish, Firefish, and Clown Goby) or any of our coral. Definitely in the peaceful category for us. Our Melanurus Wrasse arrived about six months before the Coris wrasse and was 4" when we got it. It chases the Coris around more than we would like but in another year the Coris will be larger than the Melanurus so we hope the aggression will die down a bit. If not, we will keep the Coris Wrasse rather than the Melanurus. Our Bartlett's Anthias is our most aggressive fish. All our other fish back off when the Anthias wants something.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have gotten 2 for my 180. Mine is about a year old and has quadrupled in size about 4.5”. Face is changing to adult colors. He’s sneaky and follows the diamond goby around an picks at the gobys leftovers.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 3 months or so with a red line wrasse and they're awesome. The only aggression I've seen is when either one wanders a little close to the cave of the orchid dottyback, who doesn't like unannounced visitors. The wrasses just square up on him and they all move on with their day. The lyretail anthias enjoys making unannounced visits to the home of the orchid for the sake of bothering him, which I appreciate.

Johnny_xb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it’s one of my favorite fish in my 55 gallon. Very peaceful. Just be prepared for it to hide for the first few days. You won’t see him and suddenly it’ll start to come out slowly.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have all bare bottom tanks and have been unsuccessful keeping them. I have tried different methods with various tubs of sand to no success. One of my fav fish. Disheartening that I cant keep one. My friend has BB tank and keeps different leopard wrasses so I figured maybe I could.

Subtropic Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 30. He is a model citizen and eats some pests. I know the can get kind of big. So I will remove him in 2-4 years when he gets around 3-4 inches.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved mine I had for many years. He was a jumper though. Loved jumping. Hit lights, went into overflows, just jumped all the time. This was in my 210g. Definitely need a top. Mine was crazy. Great temperament though. Never bothered anything. Went to bed same time every day and slept in too.
He did eat any nudibranch I tried for aiptasia though. Very expensive meal for him.
This was when he was rather young. He got to be over 4" easily and thick. I have tried two since him and they never made it through QT. Very tiny and thin when I got them.

Attachments

• DSC_5345.JPG
    DSC_5345.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 59

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all bare bottom tanks and have been unsuccessful keeping them. I have tried different methods with various tubs of sand to no success. One of my fav fish. Disheartening that I cant keep one. My friend has BB tank and keeps different leopard wrasses so I figured maybe I could.
Maybe this is the explanation :D

You can always put a box of sand in a corner (out of sight) for it to sleep in - This Coris is still sleeping at the same spot - 1.5 years later.

IMO - these fishes are not a fish to QT with a lot of drugs and no sand

Sincerely Lasse

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are so cool.
I agree about qt. I have very special qts set up for any wrasse ( especially a sand dweller). No meds, fully cycled and lots of deep sand for them. My earmuff did great through qt as many of my wrasses have. It can and should be done, but done right.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for about 3 months or so with a red line wrasse and they're awesome. The only aggression I've seen is when either one wanders a little close to the cave of the orchid dottyback, who doesn't like unannounced visitors. The wrasses just square up on him and they all move on with their day. The lyretail anthias enjoys making unannounced visits to the home of the orchid for the sake of bothering him, which I appreciate.

update:

mine is still cool. although he has taken a disliking to my copperband butterfly for some reason. nothing overly concerning, he doesn't outright attack the copperband, but he kinda bullies it out of the way especially during feedings of clam. hopefully once the copperband towers over him size wise he'll relax

still a great fish and would get again without hesitation

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back