Experience with Yellow Coris Wrasse?

Juan4265

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Wondering who has had experience keeping a yellow coris wrasse? What is their temperament like and what size tank would you recommend for one? Has anyone seen any aggression from the YCW?

Thanks!!

#reefsquad
I've had mine in my 75 gal. mixed reef for about 5 monthsand she's been a model citizen. She keeps to herself. She inspects the live rock and corals all day and will occasionally kick up a bit of sand, but nothing crazy. And very rarely will she take a nip at my snails, just a quick nip and completely forgets about their existance after. Overall she's a beautiful fish, super hardy and a great addition to any tank 55 gal+. Super easy fish to keep and care for and super peaceful.

Attachments

• B4AABC76-97FC-4818-B4C3-70E85A2DA691.jpeg
    B4AABC76-97FC-4818-B4C3-70E85A2DA691.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 73

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Yellow Coris for about 7 months now and it is my favorite fish!
Fun to look at, great colour and model citizen in the tank.
Even goes well together with a scarlet pin stripe wrasse which shouldnt be the case.
I have had no issues or seen any bad behavior from mine at all!
IMG_20201205_103603-01.jpeg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got three in my 300G. Super peaceful and great at pest control. Only complaints: I have to refresh my pod population every month despite having a big sump and Refugium and they do pick at small snails in my experience. I added about 50 small Nasarius snails with lights on and it was a massacre. I bet only 10 max made it under the sand. It was like watching one of those nature specials about baby turtles trying to get into the ocean before birds get them.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the Yellow Coris Wrasse will eat sexy shrimp / anemone shrimp? I'd love to get a YCW but I'm worried it might snack on those little critters.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Wondering who has had experience keeping a yellow coris wrasse? What is their temperament like and what size tank would you recommend for one? Has anyone seen any aggression from the YCW?

Thanks!!

#reefsquad
i have one in a 40 gallon breeder. if he gets too big for the tank i will consider upgrading or giving him away. i think 50 gallons is the recommended.

very peaceful and somewhat skittish to things like tweezers and coral feeders. hides in the sand when i use that stuff.

likes to explore and pick on rocks all day so rock with copepods is nice for them.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the Yellow Coris Wrasse will eat sexy shrimp / anemone shrimp? I'd love to get a YCW but I'm worried it might snack on those little critters.
Hi, if the shrimp is very small, maybe. Do you have an anemone? If so and the shrimp is hosting in it, that would definitely lower the risk. I have lots of shrimp, crabs, and snails in my DT. I know for a fact that my yellow coris will eat any nassarius snail they can find and, although I haven't witnessed it, I'm pretty sure they're responsible for the disappearance of all my small hermits. Other snails, crabs, and my peppermint shrimp have been fine----although the shrimp are always hiding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Should not bother shrimp
Prefers worms when scavenging

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if small enough, yes. i tried adding a second candy cane pistol shrimp to my DT. i tried to position it close to the burrow of my original pistol. after some fighting the new pistol was exposed and my yellow coris wrasse went to town on it..

have also observed the wrasse nip/pick at smaller crabs/hermits and even the XL tonga nassarius snails.

paradizecityz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small Yellow Coris Wrasse last Tuesday. Acclimated and put him in, saw him swim for maybe a minute and I went to throw away the bag, went back to tank and he disappeared. Still haven't seen him since :(

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought a small Yellow Coris Wrasse last Tuesday. Acclimated and put him in, saw him swim for maybe a minute and I went to throw away the bag, went back to tank and he disappeared. Still haven't seen him since :(
they are super skittish at first. mine hid for two days.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing a QT experience or others: I QT'ed mine at a full 2.3+ Copperpower plus metro and prazi. Left a small container of sand and it went into the sand properly and out all day eating strong the next day. Model QT citizen along with 5 other smaller fish in a 10G through the batch.

He went into hiding almost immediately when I put him in DT which was expected, however it's still hiding after now 4 days. I know they can go into hiding for a looooong time when introduced into a new tank. I can only assume he popped out, saw 30+ other fish in my 180 and decided he's not ready. lol. I just found it odd that he came out immediately the next day in the QT yet still hiding now.

My Blue Star Leopard went into hiding for almost 2 weeks when I introduced him so I'm familiar with their behavior. I do have 4 other fairies plus that leopard already in the tank.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do these guys live? 9-10 years?
Google says:

Yellow Coris Wrasse Lifespan
And the average wild wrasse lifespan is around ten years.

(I would take a couple off that in a home tank or more depending on the conditions. )

I'm now a week in on my yellow coris coming from QT straight into DT sand. I said I wouldn't panic, but I'm starting to question if introducing ANY sand sleeping wrasse into an established tank is a good idea. I occasionally see sand storms which suggest someone went into or out of the sand. Could it be the coris and them immediately bullied back in?

In a highly active tank with 30+ fish, the other fish are probably curious and of course do their own domination of every new inhabitant. Non-sand sleepers eventually hide somewhere, but will still find food to sustain themselves while they settle into a tank and come out. How does this logic apply when a sand sleeper is forced back into the sand and not given the opportunity to feed? I tend to overfeed the last few days in QT in preparation for new comers not eating well in DT, so I think he's fine for a bit. My leopard stayed hidden for much longer, but he was introduced when the tank wasn't so active.

Any thoughts our there by our resident wrasse experts? @i cant think ?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always adapt my newcomers in my refugium for around a week. This normally leads to that my old fish do not take any notice of the newcomers when they will be introduced into the DT. IMO - because of that the smell i the same

Sincerely Lasse

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always adapt my newcomers in my refugium for around a week. This normally leads to that my old fish do not take any notice of the newcomers when they will be introduced into the DT. IMO - because of that the smell i the same

Sincerely Lasse

Woah. That's the first time I've heard of that scent theory. I see dogs sniffing each others bottoms, but never thought about fish scent permutation through a tank. Some people do acclimation containers in DT which makes sense, but this is harder with a sand sleeper unless you have a large enough acclimation to hold a little mini sand bed. My solution for my tank is to never add single fish to distribute aggression which has worked for me adding 3-6 every time. However this time is different because of the timid new sand sleeper yellow wrasse which brings up my earlier question if that's even wise to ever do into an establish tank. Maybe sand sleepers should only be added first or you're doomed to fail there.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the time when I use to have aggressive rift lakes cichlids we test different ways of introduce new speciements into already fixed groups or reintroduce females that have carrying eggs and fry. We test with tanks close to each other - the old could see the new comers or the females - no luck - the newcomers/females became as dead as they did before. We test with WC from the DT tank into the nearby tank - and we succeeded most of the times with introducing new members and 100 % to introduce back the females. We move the tank out of sight but continue with daily WC from the DT - it works very well. IMO - the only thinkable explanation is the smell.

This is one of the reason why I always recommend people with QT tank to do daily WC from the DT 1 - 2 weeks before introducing the newcomers into the DT. This will also work as an vaccination against pathogen already present in the DT

Sincerely Lasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back