OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what she looks like right now.. is her eye going to fall out? :( or will just a layer come off and regrow? @HotRocks @ngoodermuth @Humblefish @4FordFamily

20190406_171650.jpg
20190406_171640.jpg
20190406_171646.jpg

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done everything you can do at this point. Low stress and give her time.

I'm having a really difficult time keeping the water clean due to the Erythromycin destroying the bacteria.. now im having pretty bad bacteria blooms.. water is cloudy.. my ammonia badge has been showing low levels of ammonia for several days now despite doing several 75% water changes as she is in a 55 gallon QT with a Firefish and birdswrasse.. I was thinking of transferring her to a 15-20 gallon QT with the same ceramic rings and sponge filter.. feel like the 15-20 gallon would be easier to keep cleaner.. and just break down the 55 gallon.. thoughts?
Thank you all for all the advice and help!!

sean rand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add
I'm having a really difficult time keeping the water clean due to the Erythromycin destroying the bacteria.. now im having pretty bad bacteria blooms.. water is cloudy.. my ammonia badge has been showing low levels of ammonia for several days now despite doing several 75% water changes as she is in a 55 gallon QT with a Firefish and birdswrasse.. I was thinking of transferring her to a 15-20 gallon QT with the same ceramic rings and sponge filter.. feel like the 15-20 gallon would be easier to keep cleaner.. and just break down the 55 gallon.. thoughts?
Thank you all for all the advice and help!!
Add some dr tims or biospora

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have done everything you can do at this point. Low stress and give her time.
I agree. Do your best on the water quality. I know it’s no fun, hang in there!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a waste, especially if using antibiotics.
It might be - it might not be - but - just in general I don't get your comment.

I you said - its a waste because your parameters are already good - there is no reason - yes - I agree.
But it's not clear why you said it was a waste - so - who is to know?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything in the dip.

Do you have an airline? Want these dips pretty well-aerated - unless you just removed it for the video...just making sure you’re aware :)

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything in the dip.

Do you have an airline? Want these dips pretty well-aerated - unless you just removed it for the video...just making sure you’re aware :)

It wasnt a medicated dip, just a freshwater dip for 5 minutes.. I've never aerated freshwater dips before? But I always do aerate a medicated bath...

So, last night, I ended up buying a 20 gallon long, made new fresh saltwater with copper = to 1.75 ppm (tested it) and Epsom salt.. then I took everything out of the old QT, washed the heater, pump, thermometers and threw it in the 20 gallon, then I got the old sponge filter and ceramic rings and washed them in saltwater (not to kill the remaining bacteria) and holy moly was it filthy filthy dirty, water was almost black with crap... (guessing that was causing the constant ammonia) then threw them in the 20 gallon.. let it sit for about an hour.. then that's when I gave the fish a fresheater dip and threw them in the 20 gallon.. the eye still looks about the same.. but her body looks way better and the water is CRYSTAL CLEAR :D and 0 ammonia so far :D she seems much happier in the new cleaner tank :)

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for a fish to heal and keep an eye that is partially there or if it starts to go they loose the WHOLE eye for sure? I'll try to get some pictures of her today.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any vertebrate it really depends on the health of the retina what happens to the eye. Some boxers there pops out they can place back in the socket and will function as if nothing happens other times they lose the eye. For animals it usually means they lose the eye if its out of the socket. As they use a colloidal substance on humans to keep in place as it heals to keep the retina from tearing. This is not done with fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had 2 discus that were breeding (granted they are FW) - who had eyes that looked like yours (exactly) - one 'burst'. Both healed - with no scarring and no treatment. I'm not recommending no treatment - Just an FYI. The eyes look 'normal' now - but I'm not sure the vision is normal

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, she has been at therapeutic copper levels for 20 days exactly with copper tested at 1.79ppm, temp at 76F and Ammonia at 0.. she stopped eating completely about a week ago.. was hoping she would start again...
my wife then said she saw her at 11:30am swimming just fine then she checks on her again at 12pm and the angelfish is lethargic and wedged between the filter sponge and glass vertical with face pointing toward the bottom.. once i got home from work, i set up a clean sterile 5 gallon QT with brand new copper free saltwater.. before moving her into the new 5 gallon, I "washed"/dipped her in brand new copper saltwater in two separate containers before putting her into the clean 5 gallon.. So far she seems to be swimming around pretty well.. I'm guessing she has become very sensitive to the copper?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back