OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!

I have been taking great care to avoid cross contamination between the 2 DTs and the 2 hospital tanks. I deal with contagious diseases in the animal hospital daily, so it's not unfamiliar territory.
But I missed something.
Something big.
Something seriously big.
Let me show you.

screw up.jpg

This is so bad. So bad.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the same thing. However, because my QT is medicated with Cu I am not concerned--just yet. My plan is to move the QT and fish to another room while still at a therapeutic level of Cu.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but the fish should be shielded, correct--if at a therapeutic Cu level?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but the fish should be shielded, correct--if at a therapeutic Cu level?

Yes, but what happens when Cu is lowered after 1 month for the observation period?

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge potential problem if the QT(s) and fish are not moved prior to reducing below a therapeutic Cu level.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention the aerosolized copper and my inverts in both tanks, especially the 29g. There is more aerosolized water droplets coming from the 2os than there is from the DTs. They both have airstones in them. My DTs have 2 power heads each, but I turned them so they weren't breaking the water when this all started and they're not super strong ones. The skimmer on the 29 is a closed system (HOB) and the return is very gentle. I'm quite familiar with aerosolization of disease, but for some dang reason I didn't think of the MEDICATION. I also missed the 10 foot rule. I get that it can be a problem in a large facility with many, many tanks going, and industrial strength aeration (is that a term? LOL Well, humor me.) I would not want to be in a facility with a closed air circulation system like most building have these days. It's why birds on the first floor can transfer psittacosis to birds on the fourth floor. A proper isolation unit *should* include an air system that is closed off from the rest of the building, having it's own heat and cooling sources. The flip side of that is that it almost guarantees contamination within.
aaaaaaaaaaand, now I'm rambling......

The good news is that the 20g that I'm setting up for the lightning clowns is across the room diagonally about 20 feet. No water involved right now, just the tank and stand.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so DONE with copper. My Chemetrics copper test kit won't be here until next Monday. Amazon is out of stock, so I had to order from the company. But until I've got it in my hot little hands, no more.
I'm so glad I had to call into work early this morning with a stomach bug.

Voodoo is on his side, fighting for his life. He's better than he was 3.5 hours ago when I found him drifting around the aquarium. At least now he's breathing hard and he's trying to lift himself up off of the aquarium floor. He can swim if he needs to, unlike when I first found him and was able to scoop him up into my hand without a single muscle twitching in his body. His eyes are moving, looking around, too. I hope he recovers.

I *ALMOST* gave up. I *ALMOST* said to heck with it, I'm putting those two back into the 55g and the 29g can remain fallow. Better sense took over and I didn't do it. But I almost feel as though things would have been better if everyone had died before I put them through this misery.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Valkyrie You might want to just remove all copper until the Chemetrics copper test kit arrives.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laying on his side. Moves a little bit, then settles back on his side.

voodoonaso.jpg

She looks ok except for the white patches there below the face (chin area?), But it's hard to tell from the angle if that is the normal stress induced patches, or something else. Breathing normally?

Sometimes copper poisoning can't be reversed, but I'm hoping she will get over it with a bit more time.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're stress induced. At first I was worried since the blenny was being a jerk if Voodoo drifted too close to his hidey-spot, but the skin does not appear to be broken.

All I know for sure is that when this happened with the clown fish it took about 16 hours for him to start acting somewhat normal.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back