Feeding eels in an acrylic tank?

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I am in the process of transferring to a 180 from a 120. The 120 is glass and the 180 is aone piece acrylic with two openings cut in the top. I see some issue arising with neing able to feed my eels efficiently. Right now I hand feed. They mostly eat right near their pipe house. I don't know how well I'll be able to get my arm into the new tank. The openings are small compared to the glass tank. Anyone keeping eels in an acrylic tank? How do you feed them?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So I am in the process of transferring to a 180 from a 120. The 120 is glass and the 180 is aone piece acrylic with two openings cut in the top. I see some issue arising with neing able to feed my eels efficiently. Right now I hand feed. They mostly eat right near their pipe house. I don't know how well I'll be able to get my arm into the new tank. The openings are small compared to the glass tank. Anyone keeping eels in an acrylic tank? How do you feed them?
Pictures could really help with an answer.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0939.jpeg
    IMG_0939.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 31

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lid is part of the aquarium? How unusual. Where did you find that? They do make various grippers that could get into those holes. Or use fishing line with weights to place meat in there.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it all on piece. I owned a 60 acrylic like this but since it was smaller I was still able to get my arms inside for an eel to get food.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own eels, but I use long grabbers like the elderly use to pick up things to reach the bottom of my tank, as its too tall for me to reach the bottom. Works well for me, I'm sure it would work in a similar fashion if the eels didn't get spooked. They make super long metal tongs as well

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum that is weird. I hand feed my eels too. Maybe tong train them on something that is long enough before you transfer them?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zebra eel in my acrylic tank but I will say my openings are much larger than yours. Even so a long handled pair of feeding tweezers or tongs should work. If the eel gets hungry enough they’ll leave their pipe house to find the food!

Wrinkled Fingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pair of tongs similar to these to feed my eels. Not too bulky, easy to maneuver around the tank, and grips food nicely. Should work fine with your acrylic tank as well since it is all plastic.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back