Filter sock issue.

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my tank has been up and running for almost 2 months now and have been using mesh filter socks from BRS. I went to LFS and picked up some felt filter socks and when i put them in my skimmer went nuts and started overflowing. I dialed it down but now it has very fine micro bubbles now getting into the tank and the foam starts low in my skimmer but still makes it over the top. Also my sock overflows almost like the water is having tough time going through the sock.

Is this normal for a new filter sock and needs time. Or is this an issue and should just go back to the mesh after it is cleaned?

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's most likely the cause, yeah.
manufacturing oils are all over trhe socks when purchased. best practice is to rinse in RO water, even use a little distilled white vinegar if you want as well.

I would pull the the sock and rinse it really good and place back in. the problem will subside, just gonna take a day or two

the sock itself is overflowing as well? is it just like a standard 200 micron sock?

Todd31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i dont soak the socks in RODI overnight before i put them in the sump then my skimmer freaks out for a while.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's most likely the cause, yeah.
manufacturing oils are all over trhe socks when purchased. best practice is to rinse in RO water, even use a little distilled white vinegar if you want as well.

I would pull the the sock and rinse it really good and place back in. the problem will subside, just gonna take a day or two

the sock itself is overflowing as well? is it just like a standard 200 micron sock?

Yes 200 micron. My skimmer going nuts. pulled the socks and have them soaking in RODI water. And when i thought everything was running so smootly lol.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 200 micron. My skimmer going nuts. pulled the socks and have them soaking in RODI water. And when i thought everything was running so smootly lol.
It happens :) keeps things interesting lol.

not sure why the sock would overflow, that's kind of got me puzzled. hopefully we fixed one of the issues at least.
Don't expect it to be fixed right away since the sock was already in the sump. the oil are already there and will dissipate over a short time.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc that oil on the socks is fire retardant.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back