First ich out break.

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my puffer and my juv. Emperor angel both have ich. Both have been transferred to qt tank and are being treated with very small amount of copper(I know they are sensitive to it). I'm going to be so mad if I lose both of these fish. Hopefully these are the only to that have it. Been checking all the other fish as well. Sad sad day :(

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my puffer and my juv. Emperor angel both have ich. Both have been transferred to qt tank and are being treated with very small amount of copper(I know they are sensitive to it). I'm going to be so mad if I lose both of these fish. Hopefully these are the only to that have it. Been checking all the other fish as well. Sad sad day :(
Sorry to hear that.....I would expect the rest to get ick as well...I would take them all out and treat them. Then let the display be fish free for 8 - 12 weeks to ensure that ick is all gone....is the tank a Fowlr or a reef?

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed, and I have 20+ fish, unfortunately they won't all fit in my 30 gal qt tank

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how you would attack this then....my only suggestion is to use prodibio spots and velvets cure...it is reef safe but has had mixed reviews for working. I would expect all the fish to get ick in the tank...usually when 1 gets it they all do IME

Salty Carlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with ebushrow. Ich spreads through the tank like crazy, if all the fish are not removed and QT with copper then ICH will always remain in the display tank. to eradicate ich they should be QT and treated with ich for minimum of 8 weeks.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself just had an outbreak but my fish fought it off on their own

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself just had an outbreak but my fish fought it off on their own

I have heard a kid of fish can fight it off pretty well on their own but it's a puffer and an angel. They are prone to ich

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. I'm sorry to hear about your fish. If one has ick, they all have it. The best thing you can do is take them all out for QT. I know they wont fit in your 30 gallon, so another or larger tank may be in order here. A small amount of copper wont do much of anything for the fish. You going to need slowly bring that copper level up to therapeutic levels to have any effect on the ick. You'll want to get as many fish as will fit into the 30 as is reasonable before you start bringing it up though. Can we see some pictures to help verify that it is infact ick you're dealing with?

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty. I'm sorry to hear about your fish. If one has ick, they all have it. The best thing you can do is take them all out for QT. I know they wont fit in your 30 gallon, so another or larger tank may be in order here. A small amount of copper wont do much of anything for the fish. You going to need slowly bring that copper level up to therapeutic levels to have any effect on the ick. You'll want to get as many fish as will fit into the 30 as is reasonable before you start bringing it up though. Can we see some pictures to help verify that it is infact ick you're dealing with?

IMG_1478396232.629560.jpg
that's the best I could get. He has dots on his fins and so does the angel. Hard to tell on the angel unless you look really really close

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those dots are fairly small. In your oppinion do they look more like this:
img_8198-1-jpg.319976

Or like this:
100_3113_zps8ivuludh.jpg

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those dots are fairly small. In your oppinion do they look more like this:
img_8198-1-jpg.319976

Or like this:
100_3113_zps8ivuludh.jpg

Looks like the bottom one but not on the body.... it's weird. Puffer has kinda hazy eyes. Angel shows no sign of anything. Besides little dots on fins only not body. Hard to tell with puffer but looks like fins only as well

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just told on Facebook that it could be just a fungus.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom picture is of velvet. You'll want to watch for heavy breathing, loss of appetite and color, lethargy and bacterial infections that tend to set in pretty quickly with velvet. The cloudy eyes could be one of those infections. If this is the case then you want to act quickly to treat all your fish. I'll link you to more info on velvet and how to treat it. Velvet (Amyloodinium ocellatum)

Fungus is not something found in saltwater fish. That's a freshwater disease.

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1478398470.237412.jpg

This is the angel.
And the puffer is acting completely normal. Just has the spots and hazy eye. Still eating like a pig. Doesn't breathe hard or anything.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 11.7%
Back