bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater forum on Facebook lol kinda like web md

Ok.

Look you need to take your fish out of the display first. Try to find a low cost tank on CL. I use an ordinary power filter and air stone for my QTs so other than salt there isn't much cost.

Once you have identified the problem chose a treatment from the stickies. I advise you not to take advice on FB.

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.

Look you need to take your fish out of the display first. Try to find a low cost tank on CL. I use an ordinary power filter and air stone for my QTs so other than salt there isn't much cost.

Once you have identified the problem chose a treatment from the stickies. I advise you not to take advice on FB.

He is already in qt. He has been out for 6ish hours. Hasn't changed in color or gotten worse. He has had the hazy eyes since I got him 3 weeks ago

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is already in qt. He has been out for 6ish hours. Hasn't changed in color or gotten worse. He has had the hazy eyes since I got him 3 weeks ago

I mean take all the fish out for observation so that you can better diagnose the problem.

He had hazy eyes when you got him?

Me may have been the one to infect your display of you don't use a QT. Actually any of them could have of you don't use a QT.

A QT is the single best thing I have even done in this hobby. I treat every fish and every coral. It prevents so much headache. I suggest you do the same in the future.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I advise you not to take advice on FB.

I mean take all the fish out for observation so that you can better diagnose the problem.

+1 to both of these. Get all the fish out and treat with copper or CP. Both will take care of both velvet and ick so you're covered either way. I would follow the protocol in the link I provided you though since velvet is much more dangerous and the extra steps wont hurt the fish if it's just ick.

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He had hazy eyes when you got him?

Me may have been the one to infect your display of you don't use a QT. Actually any of them could have of you don't use a QT.

A QT is the single best thing I have even done in this hobby. I treat every fish and every coral. It prevents so much headache. I suggest you do the same in the future.

Qt has been used. But only for a couple weeks. But yes he had hazy eyes upon arrival. All other fish show zero signs. Gonna keep a close eye on things for now and see what happens. Don't have the money to go buy any other tanks or anything. If it means I loose all my fish then so be it, I will just have to start over

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to both of these. Get all the fish out and treat with copper or CP. Both will take care of both velvet and ick so you're covered either way. I would follow the protocol in the link I provided you though since velvet is much more dangerous and the extra steps wont hurt the fish if it's just ick.

This is the cure and your only solution.

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the cure and your only solution.

I understand that, all my expensive fish are in qt but the smaller less expensive ones are going to stay in display as for I don't have room in the qt tank

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, all my expensive fish are in qt but the smaller less expensive ones are going to stay in display as for I don't have room in the qt tank

Cram them in there, the longer you have fish in the display the longer your display remains infected.

They are far better off crammed in a small QT getting treatment than in a large tank staying sick.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You'll want to start bringing the copper level up to therapeutic levels then... and a little quicker than you might think. I would do it over a 24-48 hours period just in case this is velvet. At some point you will have to decide what to do about the rest of the fish. You'll need to leave the display fallow (fishless) for 76 days to cover ich and velvet. You don't want to reintroduce these fish back to a display that has either disease lurking in it. They will just get it again.

You can always just take the fish back to the LFS, get a little store credit for them maybe and let the tank go fallow. I would not cram them all in the 30 gallon. That could spell even more problems for them and you.

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want to start bringing the copper level up to therapeutic levels then... and a little quicker than you might think. I would do it over a 24-48 hours period just in case this is velvet. At some point you will have to decide what to do about the rest of the fish. You'll need to leave the display fallow (fishless) for 76 days to cover ich and velvet. You don't want to reintroduce these fish back to a display that has either disease lurking in it. They will just get it again.

You can always just take the fish back to the LFS, get a little store credit for them maybe and let the tank go fallow. I would not cram them all in the 30 gallon. That could spell even more problems for them and you.

Yeah, I have 6 clown fish, 3 damsels, a Fiji damsel, twin spot goby, dragon wrasse, yellow tang, blue spotted puffer, porcupine puffer, pink diamond watchmen, 2 purple headed fire fish, regular fire fish, 3 emerald crab, 2 sally light foots, 2 coral branded shrimp, 5-6 peppermint shrimp, juv. Emperor Angel.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, 3 emerald crab, 2 sally light foots, 2 coral branded shrimp, 5-6 peppermint shrimp

forget about these guys. They can stay in the tank along with any other inverts and coral. It's just the fish that have to come out. You can try to live with it, but there's absolutely no point in running a few fish through QT then putting them back in the tank with the fish you are leaving in there. This is all only advice. It's totally up to you what you do with it. I sincerely hope this is just ick. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
forget about these guys. They can stay in the tank along with any other inverts and coral. It's just the fish that have to come out. You can try to live with it, but there's absolutely no point in running a few fish through QT then putting them back in the tank with the fish you are leaving in there. This is all only advice. It's totally up to you what you do with it. I sincerely hope this is just ick. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Thank you very much for the kinda words and advice, maybe I can try to find temporary holding cells for these guys on my suppliers house ;) lol

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^All good advice from Meredith & others. I've gotten in many puffers to treat over the years, so below is one with ich (first photo) and the second is one with velvet. So you can see the difference with how both diseases might look on a pufferfish.

Dogface with ich

Spiny Box with velvet

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^All good advice from Meredith & others. I've gotten in many puffers to treat over the years, so below is one with ich (first photo) and the second is one with velvet. So you can see the difference with how both diseases might look on a pufferfish.

Dogface with ich

Spiny Box with velvet

It honestly doesn't look like either of those! This is crazy.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dogface with ich

Spiny Box with velvet

I knew you had the photos of puffers with it! I couldn't find them so I made do. :)

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it appears that your "QT" has rock and sand which only complicates things and both should be removed. The sand and rock will absorb the copper and other meds and could cause dangerous swings in the levels. Hope you can get this all figured out.

OP
OP
Kswish74

Kswish74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it appears that your "QT" has rock and sand which only complicates things and both should be removed. The sand and rock will absorb the copper and other meds and could cause dangerous swings in the levels. Hope you can get this all figured out.

Yeah, I wasnt going to use it as a qt tank, it was my bully tank. I had my powder brown tang in there because he was beating up my other fish.

Back