First timer preparing to fill Reefer 250

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drain would work.

Unfortunately we have no AC, a constant source of disappointment to my girlfriend haha. That said my apartment never really gets out side of the mid 70's especially in the room where the tank in, and worst I've seen so far is high 60's/low 80's on a few extremely hot or cold days (one of the many reasons I love San Francisco).

So you'd throw the chiller and reactor returns in the sump chamber, where I am at least currently planning to keep the heater as well, or would you go with the drainage chamber pre-filter sock?

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we have no AC, a constant source of disappointment to my girlfriend haha. That said my apartment never really gets out side of the mid 70's especially in the room where the tank in, and worst I've seen so far is high 60's/low 80's on a few extremely hot or cold days (one of the many reasons I love San Francisco).

So you'd throw the chiller and reactor returns in the sump chamber, where I am at least currently planning to keep the heater as well, or would you go with the drainage chamber pre-filter sock?
I have my chiller return in the drainage chamber. No problems. Just hear a slight trickle here and there and need ti re adjust the valve a bit to dial in overflow. Return pump area is stable and Tunze ATO working like a charm.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to pick up the RO/DI system and Real Reef Rock and did my best to organize the tentacle monster of cords living behind the tank today. I did an initial TDS test on my tap water and it's around 27ppm, which seems pretty good compared so what I've seen around on other threads? Got 5 gallons of fresh water from the LFS guy who's been helping me and it came in at 3ppm.

RO/DI system is flushing for an hour now and then I'm gonna rinse some sand with it. Does it make sense to anyone else to add a layer of half my sand, then the base live rock, then the rest of the sand? Or should the live rock go directly on the bottom glass and then add all the sand around it?

It's already after 4pm here so too late to fill the tank today I'm guessing, that said I am super freaking jazzed to be so close after having it empty for a month so might just pull an all nighter!

33979b8c886ffb4192211a54da152f4b.jpg

67b712cb66fa94b08d1773f4f4a6654f.jpg

3f03b7486ca169290e4ab06f6b6abfff.jpg
b728970f87140f72233ab3ec16fd095c.jpg
62c46e86dae06dc9f39a7e3e4e0afe5a.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back