Fish parasites + tap water

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I reset my tank completely. Today all equipment is getting a vinegar + water bath or acid bath. I'm doing all new rock.

I was considering circulating my 425xl Redsea with bleach and water but now I'm reading that tap water will do the same thing? I had ich, velvet, cyano, dinos , and GHA

Will filling my tank with tap water kill all fish parasites and drying then afterwards wiping the whole tank inside and out with vinegar and rinsing + drying do the same thing as bleach?

trying to figure out the safest bet without damaging seals or the o rings in the pipes

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with citric acid over vinegar, personally, followed by a long dry out period. (I BELIEVE it shouldn't damage silicone or O-rings but do your own research there).
*no idea which parasites can survive tap water and drying and for how long

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go with citric acid, personally, followed by a long dry out period. (I BELIEVE it shouldn't damage silicone or O-rings but do your own research there).
*no idea which parasites can survive tap water and drying and for how long
I read that citric acid can be hard to pull out in a DT if used. but it does work

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that citric acid can be hard to pull out in a DT if used. but it does work
I'd do straight tap water after the citric acid for rinse.
*I read this as just running equipment in tank with no rock/sand

EDIT - I feel like bleach would be best for killing parasites but harder on silicone.
*I use bleach on QT tank break down and no problems (yet)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I reset my tank completely. Today all equipment is getting a vinegar + water bath or acid bath. I'm doing all new rock.

I was considering circulating my 425xl Redsea with bleach and water but now I'm reading that tap water will do the same thing? I had ich, velvet, cyano, dinos , and GHA

Will filling my tank with tap water kill all fish parasites and drying then afterwards wiping the whole tank inside and out with vinegar and rinsing + drying do the same thing as bleach?

trying to figure out the safest bet without damaging seals or the o rings in the pipes
tap water would be the same as hyposalinity at even a lower level and effective. I recommend vinegar over bleach and No Citric acid which is for equipment- not tank

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tap water would be the same as hyposalinity at even a lower level and effective. I recommend vinegar over bleach and No Citric acid which is for equipment- not tank

Would 24h tap water circulating tank be effective or would vinegar in tank be better? if so what ratio and how long for vinegar rinse?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would 24h tap water circulating tank be effective or would vinegar in tank be better? if so what ratio and how long for vinegar rinse?
Do FW circulation, then add vinegar and finish with cold water rinse which will neutralize the vinegar

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's bad about citric acid for the tank? I did not know this.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What's bad about citric acid for the tank? I did not know this.
Weve had a few reefers who lost livestock right after adding citric acid to tank for cleaning. Could this be? In checking, it stick to surfaces in particular silicone and as stated by BRS:

How do I clean my aquarium with Citric Acid?​

NEVER ADD CITRIC ACID DIRECTLY TO YOUR AQUARIUM WATER. A citric acid solution is designed to clean empty aquariums, pumps, and other aquarium equipment in a separate container. The acidic solution helps to remove stubborn calcareous build-up that tends to coat saltwater aquariums and equipment.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do FW circulation, then add vinegar and finish with cold water rinse which will neutralize the vinegar
will do , Plan is FW circulation for a few hours then i'll add some vinegar and let run till tomorrow. then ill drain and refill with water again. then rinse and then a final wipe down.

To clean equipment I am soaking today in citric acid, how long does that need to air dry after rinsing

Is there a certain amount of vinegar I should use in 100g?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interpretation of BRS' usage warning is don't add it to your tank if your tank is currently running with livestock etc. For cleaning purposes, we wouldn't be adding it to our "aquarium water" per se. But if it sticks to silicone, that may be an issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like using acids as antibiotics (in the broad sense of the word). They are difficult to dose properly, and then are easily neutralized by carbonates. Why not use sodium hypochlorite? It is better known, and has tested concentrations to use.
Jay

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently the whole tank is stripped, in it's new location. I wiped down most of the tank and scraped out what i could. I filled with tap water, filling with 1:10 vinegar ratio and letting it sit for a night

Tomorrow i will let it air dry, should i wipe it down with fresh water right after i drain the vinegar or let it air dry then wipe down

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back