Fish stocking plans

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this post might be a bit unusual as I do not really have any idea what fish I want in my upcoming tank. What I want from all of you guys/gals are if you were going to have my tank what would be your goals, if you don’t mind.

So my tank is going to be a WB 190.5 so DT about 137 gal. Going to be going with TBS rock and sand. Planning on having softies and LPS to start. Leaving the option for SPS in the future as everything gets more mature and I know what I’m doing. Would like a more community tank, nothing too aggressive. Only thing I know I will get is a pair of clowns (I’m THAT basic )

Ok now go…give me your ideas!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 small gobies

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown harem and a bunch of nems if you like clowns.

Variety: royal gramma, yellow tang, wrasse of choice, lawnmower blenny, one spot foxface, yellow watchman / shrimp combo, mandarin, angel of choice, copperband.

Edit: some mentioned are utility fish and help you with maintenance.

Last edited:

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns

midas or bicolor blenny

pistol shrimp/watchman goby pair

scopas tang

2 yellow tangs or 1 blue hippo tang

six line wrasse

2 or 3 cardinals

dwarf angel

3-4 chromis

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you know you like? I can play off of that
looks wise I kind of like them all which is my problem. I don’t want anything that will outgrow my tank that I will have to re-home. I do like schooling fish but I don’t want to have to feed them constantly as I just won’t have time to keep up with that (2-3 times a day max). I want a combination of rock dwelling, sand dwelling, water column swimming. Hope that makes sense. I feel like I’m in the world of there are just way too many options and I have no clue where to start. I do want a patio shrimp and watchman goby I love that symbiotic relationship. Hope that helps

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your research before picking fish. I suggest low aggression fish.

Yellow or one spot Foxface
Few tangs like yellow, scopus, tomini, convict and yellow eyed koles are all well mannered tangs.
Cardinals are really cool
Pick your favorite wrasses 2-3
Anthias are very active fish

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your research before picking fish. I suggest low aggression fish.

Yellow or one spot Foxface
Few tangs like yellow, scopus, tomini, convict and yellow eyed koles are all well mannered tangs.
Cardinals are really cool
Pick your favorite wrasses 2-3
Anthias are very active fish
Research is not an issue. I’m an over analyzer aka decision paralysis haha

I’ve been planning this tank for YEARS and finally am doing it.

I’ve seen quite a bit on foxfaces being hit or miss with regard to temperament. I know that can be true of almost anything but that gives me some pause

OP
OP
logibear

logibear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First response got screwed up, sorry for the double post

looks wise I kind of like them all which is my problem. I don’t want anything that will outgrow my tank that I will have to re-home. I do like schooling fish but I don’t want to have to feed them constantly as I just won’t have time to keep up with that (2-3 times a day max). I want a combination of rock dwelling, sand dwelling, water column swimming. Hope that makes sense. I feel like I’m in the world of there are just way too many options and I have no clue where to start. I do want a patio shrimp and watchman goby I love that symbiotic relationship. Hope that helps

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schooling in our reefs is hard. Even the anthias and chromis that people buy to "school" don't really school. They shoal sometimes, but most of the time unless there's predatory pressure they just stay away from and bully each other

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Schooling fish: anthias or chromis. I have chromis, the 3 have been together for over a year, no issues. Some people report they pick them off. If you are going to have the shrimp no triggers or preadators. Also hawkfish might eat shrimps. For me when I first started it was easier for me to figure out what kinds of fish were a no then narrowed down from there. I always start my tanks with a pair of clownfish babies (sooo cute and you get to watch them grow) and add from there!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Schooling in our reefs is hard. Even the anthias and chromis that people buy to "school" don't really school. They shoal sometimes, but most of the time unless there's predatory pressure they just stay away from and bully each other
My 3 chromis must be the exception. Where one is the other two are very close. They never separate! Got them from a guy who breeds them and those 3 have been together since they were babies (got them when they were small too). They even were shipped together in the same bag!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back