Florida Ricordea care....Trials and tribulations, successes.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Currentking on that......I know any yumas I have or had now after melting my fair share I have acclimated them real slow to the light and conditions.....

Questin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love rics and I have a good number of them. Pinks, Yellows, Blues, and so on, but they are all doing great. The most important thing I have noticed to keep them happy, it to get them stationary. Once they are in place, and solid, they grow and multiply very well.

I use to let them float around, thinking that they would get a hold of something and that would be good enough, I beleive in letting nature taking a natural path, but rics need to be glued into place and you should take the time to make sure that happens. If I find a floater, I get him in a small cup like container, get a good amount of small liverock in there, and let it grab on. Once that happens, I get the rock glued down and the ric does the rest.

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got an orange ric with purple fringe and green mouth. it won't take hold of anything. i had it in a small pyrex bowl sitting on rubble rock for over a month and a half. some how the flow swirled just right and blew it out of the bowl. it floated down to the side of the tank, next to some live rock. within a week and a half of being there, it grew another mouth.

what the deuce?

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it take hold finally? Could be from stress as well....If it didn't hold yet might want to try the wedding veil method...

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fl rics were definitely an obsession for a little while but zoas are my newest obsession....i have a nice little ric garden that has really blossomed over time...i have been dosing vitamin C and noticed a significant increase in growth during this time...also my rics eat a lot of mysis. I buy mini mysis and thaw a half a cube and put into the tank...whatever the fish dont get the rics and zoas love. Here are a couple of pics...not great but its a point of sale camera nothing fancy :(

Yeah i am partial to the orange and blue ones :tongue:

12085.jpg

0121093.jpg

0808.jpg

tedstan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to keeping rics. How do you feed them, just let food settle on them or direct feed?

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to set up a 24 gallon Aqua Pod for Rics and Zoas. It has 2 24 watt pcs now. Will this be enough light? I am planning on doing LEDs in this canopy in the spring. Will this be to much light? Any thoughts?
Thanks

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine till you upgrade, Yumas would be good with that since it wouldn't be a whole lot of par. Once you get LEDs Floridas would be happy as well. That would be on the low side for Florida ricordea IMHO but LEDs should be fine depending on how many the system contains.....My Florida rics get blasted for the most part and have done great, they are also in medium flow as well.

seaweed88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was incorrect. The canopy has 2 32 watt pcs. I am going to set it up strictly for corals. I am going to try to go fish-less. I might need to find someone to work on algae but I am not sure who that would be. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bit better.....Both should be OK under those Ricordea florida might not get the intense color but will expand more....Either way if you go with Ricordea florida once you up grade to LEDs they will be happy I think.....

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 4 rics of different colors and the lime green, the orange, and the dark green love the 250W 14k Phoenix and the current but the blue/purple ric never expanded, so I moved it to the side with a little less current and a little less direct lighting. Figured: Darker = more light absorption so we'll try that for now!

mje113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, looks like a great community!

Curious about what people's experiences are regarding Ricordea Florida bleaching? I'm in the process of losing my 2nd and 3rd mushrooms to a very slow (at least a month) bleaching where the Ricordea slowly loses color and it's "nubs" get very small. To the touch the Ricordea are fairly firm. My suspicions are my LED lighting (2:1 Royal blue to Neutral White), either intensity or missing spectrum. I've tried week-long periods of low lighting with no apparent effect.

I'd love to hear other's insights on this!

Cheers,
Mike

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I had a rock that has about 10 rics on it that had been placed somewhere temporarily in my tank. About 3 weeks. I had some new dry rock curing in a bucket and when it was time to to some slight scaping I moved them. One of the rics had slightly attached to another rock and it tore a tiny piece off when I moved it. maybe an inch size piece, and in 2 days it was puffy and happy and now growing. I know most folks say you have to cut them in the center where the mouth is, but this definitely wasnt the case here.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I want to say this is one of my favorite corals! They are so colorful and when they grow out they look amazing. So with that being said, I've had great success with recordia. I've had them in my 220 at the bottom of the tank with (2) 250 watt MH. With ok flow, not to strong but not low flow and got ok results. I have them in a 40g breeder holding tank while I'm waiting to build my new set up. They are about half way up with way more of a stronger flow than before. I have always fed them a blast of my mix of food plus some reef frenzy about 2 times a week. Since they have been in the 40b with more flow to them they have never been more full and seam to be happier. Witch is crazy cause this goes against everything i read about them and where they ''like'' to be. I continue to feed them the same as I did before and I feel they really benefit from feedings. This will be a coral I continue to collect and will not stop till I have every color! Lol
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1407468178.079008.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1407468209.668339.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1407468358.208994.jpg

40g breeder
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1407468284.651629.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back