Florida Ricordea care....Trials and tribulations, successes.

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10325652_10154456786920182_611722844029032245_n.jpg

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love rics and are one of my favourites ... i have burned my pocket in keeping them but never had success
the only 2 rics i am successful with is my orange morph and green morph and they are doing great and have reproduced a lot from 2 polyps on rock to around 10 polyps each....

but whatever another florida i buy they slowly bleach and die..... what could be the reason ? i have tried around 20 different types of rice but none made more than 15 days so have stopped getting it lately.... its expensive..

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to get Florida Rics, would a dual lamp T5 HO, 48 watts total with reflectors will be ok or I need more watts? 29g tank. Thanks.

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i love rics and are one of my favourites ... i have burned my pocket in keeping them but never had success
the only 2 rics i am successful with is my orange morph and green morph and they are doing great and have reproduced a lot from 2 polyps on rock to around 10 polyps each....

but whatever another florida i buy they slowly bleach and die..... what could be the reason ? i have tried around 20 different types of rice but none made more than 15 days so have stopped getting it lately.... its expensive..

what are parameters and where are rics located in the tank? what type of lights?

currentking

Rookie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to get Florida Rics, would a dual lamp T5 HO, 48 watts total with reflectors will be ok or I need more watts? 29g tank. Thanks.

That should be fine. lower light is better for pics. I have one all the way in the shade and it is the biggest out of all of the 70 or 80 that i have.

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are parameters and where are rics located in the tank? what type of lights?

lights i am using 2 Kessils 100% blue and 50% white
the rics are in low flow area, bit into shaded area. have added 1 ric yesterday lets see what happens. i feed them LPS pellets and Ric pellets from Marine Fauna plus mix of other foods.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, seems this thread is a bit stale but I have two questions and this looks like the best place to post it...

First, I have a Ric that split, pretty cool if you ask me. Anyway the "baby" doesn't seem to have a mouth. Does the mouth take longer to form and will it eventually get one?

Second, I have a Ric that I took of its plug and glued to my rock, but it was in a place that doesn't get enough life, its fine just small, it eats when I target feed it but it just isn't growing. Any ideas of how I can take it off the rock without damaging it so I can move to where it will get more light?

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my rics have grown together on the sandbed[emoji20] how do I separate them? Not for propogation as I know rics can be cut through the mouth for that. These have grown together on the edges/rims. I want to move some of them.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, it seems the general recommendation at least online stores suggest low par & flow for these.

Yet a lot of people on here are saying medium - high flow & light. can anyone else chime in or is there a thread I’m not seeing? Trying to gather all info before I glue this plug down.

Any specific PAR recommendations? Online will vary 50-200. I’m probably going to try 100-150.

Most of my tank seems to be doing well but my ricordea has been finicky, balling up and lifting the skirt is different areas of the tank I’ve tried. He even use to have 4 mouths but now has 2 and slowly regrowing a 3rd. I’m sure he doesn’t like being moved around so much my pistol shrimp has also completely buried him a couple times which isn’t helping.

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bad picture he is no longer under the arch (in the shade) but currently in sandbed. I was thinking of putting him on the arch where the spinstream will continuously cross its path.

Or the corner of the tank where there is decently turbulent water but concerned about lack of light. Probably near 50 PAR according to reviews of the light & setting I’m using.

6027328A-BD0D-4578-82A6-E7439A5F5963.jpeg

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, seems this thread is a bit stale but I have two questions and this looks like the best place to post it...

First, I have a Ric that split, pretty cool if you ask me. Anyway the "baby" doesn't seem to have a mouth. Does the mouth take longer to form and will it eventually get one?

Second, I have a Ric that I took of its plug and glued to my rock, but it was in a place that doesn't get enough life, its fine just small, it eats when I target feed it but it just isn't growing. Any ideas of how I can take it off the rock without damaging it so I can move to where it will get more light?

I would just leave it where it is. It will adjust.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two rics, one of which is splitting into 3 corals, and I have found these guys to be bulletproof. I have moved mine from tank to tank with no issues and my large one is about 3” below the waters surface. Just got this dude the other day. He won’t stay attached.

Attachments

• 1B4A8430-B4A7-42A2-87AA-1D51E33FC115.jpeg
    1B4A8430-B4A7-42A2-87AA-1D51E33FC115.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 67

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure since we have started a Yuma care thread we will start a discussion on Florida Ricordea. To me one of the most coveted species of corallimorpharians there is, let's say the queen of the mushroom kingdom.

From personal experience I think lighting, alk, Ca, flow are the most important factors in keeping Florida Ricordea in the aquarium. Before I didn't have MH or VHO even T-5s I only had NO bulb and they would diminish within 3 months.

Since I have upgraded all of my equipment and switched salts to Red Sea Pro I have not had a single issue with Florida Ricordea, Yumas maybe but not Florida(knock on wood). I have mine right now in what would be med/high flow that is oscillating by a Natural wave timer powering 1 MJ1200 and a MJ900. They seem to really like the flow and being blasted with the lighting which they are on the bottom but under direct lighting from a 250w 14k Hamilton SE and 2x54w T-5s UVI Super actinic Rs. The coloration of these polyp have only intensified since placement in my tank. I have gotten about 20 polyps in the last 2 weeks and a rock with about 50 polyps that were showing signs of fading in color from what the original owner has told me. I will see in the next 2 weeks or so what happens with the color of this rock.

All those who keep Florida ricordea please share your experiences wither it be positive or negative and the conditions that you have kept them in and if it is successful or not....
My fav mushroom. I waited over a year before I added one. In two months it already split and now I have two! I'm not a fan of Yumas, just my preference.

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rics are doing great in the nano, ignore the twin spot he is on temporary vacation from my 120 he was getting picked on so I thought he could get a little bigger in here.

20220314_192648.jpg

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a great mushroom rock at one time. I moved it to my quarantine tank after I observed a breakout of valonia. The emerald crab apparently likes these corals as much or more than the valonia it was sent after. :confused:

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to see this revived again. Rics are my absolute favorite. Interesting reading how so many are saying theirs love high flow. I had mine mid-tank level and they hated it. I had to move them lower from the light. Mine also don't really like the higher flow either, just a subtle wave.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back