Flukes and prazi in display?

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I have a fish with flukes. Fish is in stocked display. It’s a leopard wrasse that started flashing/scratching on rocks every few minutes, and seen it “yawn”. If I can confirm with freshwater dip etc, would it be advised to just treat the entire tank with prazi or remove the one fish and treat? I’m thinking safer to treat entire tank as I’ve read many positive results with prazi in the display.

All fish are established and purchased “pre quarantined”. Few corals in the tank, mostly zoas and a couple LPS.

Thanks
-Tim

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joiningsession Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Video very short but some signs you will see are yes, the constant yawning like effect and loss of appetite, increased respirations, flashing and sudden darting across the tank, hiding, lethargic behavior as examples. Please repost video under brighter intensity and of at least 20 seconds

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
longer video with more whites, couldn’t catch him scratching as it didn’t do it in the 15 minutes or so I was trying to video. Can still try and catch a better video with whites on when she’s scratching.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
longer video with more whites, couldn’t catch him scratching as it didn’t do it in the 15 minutes or so I was trying to video. Can still try and catch a better video with whites on when she’s scratching.

Which is my curiosity as they tend to twitch at times and 15 minutes gone by questions if flukes but not yet ruled out

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the FW dip, you'll only see one species of flukes in the dip water (Neobenedenia) unless you go through it with a microscope.

You can use Prazipro in a DT. Sometimes, corals and clams will close for a short time, but as long as the tank has really good aeration, you won't have any permanent issues. You need to dose it for your tank/s NET volume, if you don't know that exactly, deduct 15% from the rated capacity for rock and sand displacement. Dose it twice, 8 days apart. You may need to do a 25% water change before the second treatment, and then three days after the second treatment - the solvent in Prazipro adds to the tank's nutrients.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still “scratching” but lass than the other day when first noticing so getting harder to catch it on video.

Upon first noticing the fish was scratching multiple times a minute roughly 10-15 minutes apart. Now it’s much more sporadic. Still eating, hunting pods, and swimming pretty normally in my opinion.

No other fish are scratching or showing any dots etc.. for the time being I guess I will continue to feed heavily.

Also my tangs usually try to determine who is boss about once a week and kick up sand and particles etc for a few hours of the day. They have been testing each other more the last couple days leaving more particles floating in the water column, is it possible this is irritating the wrasse?

Video from today:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also* gills do look a little “puffy” and still seeing it open its mouth like a yawn/discomfort
In the new video, I can see the wrasse is very thin along its nape. It is difficult to bring this species back from this point. Multiple small feedings a day (5 or more) can help.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the new video, I can see the wrasse is very thin along its nape. It is difficult to bring this species back from this point. Multiple small feedings a day (5 or more) can help.
I agree on the thinness, been trying to fatten it up. Have been adding pods biweekly and feeding 3 times a day as much as my life will allow. The wrasse does constantly eat pods and eats frozen every feeding so I feel like that’s a positive.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the thinness, been trying to fatten it up. Have been adding pods biweekly and feeding 3 times a day as much as my life will allow. The wrasse does constantly eat pods and eats frozen every feeding so I feel like that’s a positive.
Following along. Just picked up a leopard ornate wrasse showing some flashing with no other symptoms. Dosed first dose yesterday. And now the wrasse is hiding but. Everyone else seems fine.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. Just picked up a leopard ornate wrasse showing some flashing with no other symptoms. Dosed first dose yesterday. And now the wrasse is hiding but. Everyone else seems fine.
Let us know! I havnt started prazi yet, I thought I had enough to treat but I was wrong. Had to order some so won’t be starting till end of week probably.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s things going?

I’ll be dosing my first dose either tonight or tomorrow.
all my fish are doing well, except the ornate wrasse. It’s been hiding since the day after I dosed. Trying to fight the temptation to move sand around to look for it. Tomorrow I’ll be running all my tests and see if nitrates have spiked. But there are lots of reports of wrasses hiding for weeks. I dose the second dose on Tuesday.

OP
OP
J

Joiningsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! I added my first dose on my way out the door to work this morning. So havnt been able to observe fish and their reactions yet. I asked the wife at home how the fish looked and she replied “like fish” lol

I’ll update you on my experience too.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! I added my first dose on my way out the door to work this morning. So havnt been able to observe fish and their reactions yet. I asked the wife at home how the fish looked and she replied “like fish” lol

I’ll update you on my experience too.
I just added my second dose, today is 7 days since first and all fish are still eating. Ornate wrasse is still hiding or dead. I have a 145 gal tank, so with rocks and sand I am guessing close to 115 actually water. So I dosed 25ML both times.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my second dose, today is 7 days since first and all fish are still eating. Ornate wrasse is still hiding or dead. I have a 145 gal tank, so with rocks and sand I am guessing close to 115 actually water. So I dosed 25ML both times.
Also something to note, my nitrates went to zero, i assume it has to do with a bacterial bloom. But im guessing.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back