FNG Questions

BUVandy1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! My name is Thomas and I'm just getting started in reefing! My current plan is to start with a Reefer 250 but beyond that I could use some advice. First of all, I have an old AI Hydra 26 and small reef octopus skimmer I got from a friend but I'm assuming I will need at another 26 for a tank that size? I'm also currently discussing buying a used reefer 250 for just under $1000 (typically new for around 1600). Would this be considered a good deal? And is there anything I should do to ensure the tank is in good shape? Thank you for any and all help! I hope I am posting in the appropriate place, if not let me know!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone! My name is Thomas and I'm just getting started in reefing! My current plan is to start with a Reefer 250 but beyond that I could use some advice. First of all, I have an old AI Hydra 26 and small reef octopus skimmer I got from a friend but I'm assuming I will need at another 26 for a tank that size? I'm also currently discussing buying a used reefer 250 for just under $1000 (typically new for around 1600). Would this be considered a good deal? And is there anything I should do to ensure the tank is in good shape? Thank you for any and all help! I hope I am posting in the appropriate place, if not let me know!
For the used I would request the tank being filled to check for leaks. Also check the stand for signs of water damage. Beyond that check the seals on the tank. Make sure it looks professionally done and not repaired.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank isn't filled, ask them to fill it for you and put it in some oolite. The oolite will show any incursions in the seals and may help to alert you to potential issues with them.

I'd also:

-take a level with you to make sure tank (and particularly the stand) are level;
-ask to see the owner's journal if they keep one;
-make sure all equipment is working, and ask the owner how often (s)he cleaned them;
-make sure you have a good source for spares.

I've bought two tanks used in the past year. While both are in use, one has incursions in the seals and the other is a RSM 250 that has mechanical issues with the lighting. Used tanks may seem like a good deal...but they can cost just as much as a new build if you have to do repairs. And used tanks won't come with a warranty.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back