For those that don’t QT, why not

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

We talk a lot about the QT, non QT methods. I think the non-QT reasoning is clear. But for the non-QT folks why do we do it.

Why don’t you QT? Be honest, no one judging.

Is it to time consuming, to expensive with all the meds and equipment, don’t have room for the tank, think why QT there’s nothing wrong with the fish, don’t understand QT, feel a healthy system needs that biodiversity, worried QT is too harsh

(This is not a debate on QT or not. (We already know non QT is better:p) It is a fact finding thread.)

Thanks all.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently can't afford nor have the room for a QT since i just got into the hobby and still live at home (22) and i honestly felt bad about it but i currently read a massive thread on these forums about how it can actually be beneficial and help your fishes immune system by not QTing and just keeping them in a healthy environment

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I dont like the process, it's a totally separate system I dont have the room for and I get to puck the healthiest looking fish I can. I use an acclimation box to look for any problems over the next few days after i introduce them to my system. I also have the same belief as paul B that a healthy fish should be ble to ward off most parasites.. but if and when I do see a fish in distress I do have medication available and a hospital tank if needed. But in the last 3 years of this tank running I only had one fish (a clown) get velvet and passed within 24 hours of being in qt. the rest of my fish were fine and all have dine well since. I dos have one wrasse show up one day with ich. He was acting normal so i fed heavy for the next few days (I soak my food in selcon) after a few days the wrasse was ich free and no one else showed any signs of the parasite. So I feel like a healthy tank is good tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think QT is up to the reefer. We don't. My son and I prefer not to use meds prophylactically. We also feel like QT stresses fish a great deal. I completely respect those that do it. It's just something we choose not to do.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

We talk a lot about the QT, non QT methods. I think the non-QT reasoning is clear. But for the non-QT folks why do we do it.

Why don’t you QT? Be honest, no one judging.

Is it to time consuming, to expensive with all the meds and equipment, don’t have room for the tank, think why QT there’s nothing wrong with the fish, don’t understand QT, feel a healthy system needs that biodiversity, worried QT is too harsh

(This is not a debate on QT or not. (We already know non QT is better:p) It is a fact finding thread.)

Thanks all.

To be clear is it just separating from your dt (observation) or PVC pipe medicated or both?

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done QT and non-QT. I just set up my Waterbox 230.6 and did not QT. I have acyually lost more fish in QT than I ever have without. I know that I have Ich in my tank, but it does not concern me. So far i have seen a few spots appear on a couple of fish only to be gone in a day or 2. I also feed heavy, 2-3 sheets of Nori each day, Rods food, LRS Herbivore Frenzy, Mysis, and NLS pellets 2x/day. I soak all frozen food in Selcon and Brightwell Amino Omega before feeding. Everything is happy and healthy with no bickering among any of the fish (including my 6 tangs).

Nasir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t have space, time or money. I do dip coral but I also don’t just buy from anyone. Also moving fish or coral from tank to tank is just as hard on them. You have to remember the trip they have been on already. I only buy fish from my LFS. I make sure the fish is healthy before I bring it home.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@motortrendz We feed a wide variety of foods including probiotic as well.
which foods would you recommend for this type of set up since i don't plan to run a QT unless i need a hospital tank
I currently have probiotic spirulina flakes but thats it other than that ive fed frozen mysis since im lightly stocked atm
edit: I've also seen people mention soaking food in stuff like garlic or something called selcon? can you elaborate on that for my slightly im still new to the hobby

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
which foods would you recommend for this type of set up since i don't plan to run a QT unless i need a hospital tank
I currently have probiotic spirulina flakes but thats it other than that ive fed frozen mysis since im lightly stocked atm
New life Spectrum probiotic pellets. About 10 different frozen foods. We mix and rotate what we feed.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New life Spectrum probiotic pellets. About 10 different frozen foods. We mix and rotate what we feed.
I've also seen people mention soaking food in stuff like garlic or something called selcon? can you elaborate on that for me slightly im still new to the hobby

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also seen people mention soaking food in stuff like garlic or something called selcon? can you elaborate on that for me slightly im still new to the hobby

Some people use liquid Garlic, usually to entice picky eaters to start eating. Selcon is basically liquid vitamins for fish. You soak your fish food in it for a few minutes before feeding to increase the nutrition of the food you are feeding.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Me too really, but selcon is a vitamin supplement. Garlic is really to entice feeding.

SighKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people use liquid Garlic, usually to entice picky eaters to start eating. Selcon is basically liquid vitamins for fish. You soak your fish food in it for a few minutes before feeding to increase the nutrition of the food you are feeding.
thanks guys! I'll definitely be ordering a bottle of selcon since i dont plan on QTing

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back