Found some sweet zoas lobstering today!! cant wait to bring these babys home :)

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hope to see these zoas aqua cultured by you! LOL even if there already in the market. also DON'T FORGET TO DIP! THATS reefing PART 101!

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the first thing I thought of! Flow and lighting, I spent over an hour just lookibg at them seeing which ones were the most colorful and where they were and how much flow they were getting. And do they all carry zoapox and it breaks out if they are stressed or does it just all depend?

Zoapox is just a name given to a fungus that grows on decaying zoas. Any zoa colony can get it once a few start dying. The thing is it can fall on other zoas and grow and take them over. I know 3-4 collector's and I never buy from them till the corals are acclimated for at least 2 weeks because out of 100 frags sometimes 20-30 make it. Furan 2 is the best for it. Make sure you buy some just in case.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But can we do it on a small patch in the florida keys? I know they have regulations so you dont introduce invasive species etc... but it would be cool to see a growth progress thread w/ some high end zoas off the florida keys

It is very, very illegal to do that and will land you in jail, pretty much no questions asked. If I'm not mistaken, it is not even legal to mariculture corals with a license, even native corals.

And to be frank, it would kill the zoas within a few days due to photoinhibition. Imagine taking a coral that has lived for several generations under 50-100 PAR, and then putting it into a place that receives over 2500 PAR, won't end well.

Last edited:

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very, very illegal to do that and will land you in jail, pretty much no questions asked. If I'm not mistaken, it is not even legal to mariculture corals with a license, even native corals.

And to be frank, it would kill the zoas within a few days due to photoinhibition. Imagine taking a coral that has lived for several generations under 50-100 PAR, and then putting it into a place that receives over 2500 PAR, won't end well.

that sucks. looks like we need to move to indo to have any fun. I know they do mariculture out in the keys w/ licenses
http://www.coralrestoration.org/ these guys are out there doing mariculture

Last edited:

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but that is only for native species for licensed people. Put anything non-native into the water and you'll be thrown in jail. :)

I wish that they would do that for the hybrid acropora growing in Miami. The Smithsonian Marine Station in Fort Pierce has a piece of it growing... not sure how they got it (since nobody is allowed to touch it right now), but I WANT IT!!

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually wanna do that a a career have a store near a patch of land I bought put some Artificial or other rock in my land to use as live rock and have a coral frag system and also a fish trap you licenses land and permits haha

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are what are often called vice zoas. Like Josh said, location should tell you they are going to be tough to provide for - rippin flow in a canal, lots of food and tons of light. There are some awesome People Eater species down there. Keep an eye out.

Check MyFWC.com for rules on collecting. You are not allowed any rock whatsoever, but encrusted shells and loose polyps are OK. Your SW recreational fishing license covers you for just 5 polyps per day, last I checked. You're getting in a grey area if you want to try to argue that a mini colony counts as a polyp, but I don't know how tight they are with encrusting zoas. They're on the lookout for lobster poachers right now. All softies are fair game - shrooms, that nice rock nem, rics and z's and p's. I think you can collect some but not all species of gorgonians. Sea plumes and most thin, branching ones are OK but don't touch the sea fans. Again, FWC's website has the specifics.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they are even better in person! They will really pop in the leds. I haven't taken any yet since im still in the keys but im going to right before I leave

Once you get them Growing.. LMK When some are available!! Ill grab a frag for sure!

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a meeting about coral restoration and the laws are super strict. You can only place a coral from the same area. Even if it is the exact same coral but it came from 10 miles apart you cant put it back. I imagine what they would do if they catch you putting a coral from a different continent. I imagine helicopters and people with black masks breaking down your door. Lol

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are what are often called vice zoas. Like Josh said, location should tell you they are going to be tough to provide for - rippin flow in a canal, lots of food and tons of light. There are some awesome People Eater species down there. Keep an eye out.

Check MyFWC.com for rules on collecting. You are not allowed any rock whatsoever, but encrusted shells and loose polyps are OK. Your SW recreational fishing license covers you for just 5 polyps per day, last I checked. You're getting in a grey area if you want to try to argue that a mini colony counts as a polyp, but I don't know how tight they are with encrusting zoas. They're on the lookout for lobster poachers right now. All softies are fair game - shrooms, that nice rock nem, rics and z's and p's. I think you can collect some but not all species of gorgonians. Sea plumes and most thin, branching ones are OK but don't touch the sea fans. Again, FWC's website has the specifics.
Yeah I checked fwc, thankyou! I dont plan on taking much at all anyways just because of minimal tank room and I didnt plan on taking any rocks because that way I can minimize hitchikers and pests.

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks. looks like we need to move to indo to have any fun. I know they do mariculture out in the keys w/ licenses
Coral Restoration Foundation these guys are out there doing mariculture
Yeah I've herd of them but they do mariculture to propogate staghorn which is a protected species here. Its really cool they just put a zip tie around it and leave it suspended hanging from a pvc pipe and they grow quite well

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, I thought of a name for the green ones but can not think of a name for the royal blue with lime green yellow centers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back