Frogfish and tank

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am pretty new to reefing but my dad knows a lot (so I will be getting help from someone with experience) . I'm getting into the hobby and were are going to get a frogfish. I have done extensive research on these guys and understand that they mainly take live food. I have no problem with this, but the frogfish I saw was so small that I really don't know what to feed it when it is that small. If anyone could tell me what they feed them when they are really small I would be grateful. I'm getting a bio cube 32 gallon tank I'm not sure how good of tank this is because I'm a bit knew to this, but if it is not a good tank someone please tell me.

Jelpin16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small was the frogfish?

They should take ghost shrimp which you can get quite small. All of mine have taken frozen food as well so they can be transitioned.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish really is too small to take the ghost shrimp you can get at the store, then I suppose you could offer it mysis shrimp or brine shrimp (I’d personally try the mysis or a combination of mysis and brine shrimp, as mysis has lower fat and a higher protein content, but enriched brine alone should be fine as a staple too). Once they’re sized up enough, ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies are the current, generally recommended feeders for them.

I’m glad to hear you’re doing your research on these guys - I’d say to take a look at some of lion king’s threads on here about frogfish/anglerfish feeding and care, and particularly I’d say to look at their recommendations for a gorge/fast feeding schedule (they have also talked about live vs. prepared foods and they give some good advice for anyone who may want to try switching them over to prepared foods, but you’re correct that anglers should probably have a mostly live diet - it’s good exercise/mental stimulation if nothing else).

I can’t help you with the tank, but I do know the bio cube is a popular one, so you should be able to find some good comments on it if you search on the forum here.

Glad to hear you have someone to help show you the ropes - good luck with your tank, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
R

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish really is too small to take the ghost shrimp you can get at the store, then I suppose you could offer it mysis shrimp or brine shrimp (I’d personally try the mysis or a combination of mysis and brine shrimp, as mysis has lower fat and a higher protein content, but enriched brine alone should be fine as a staple too). Once they’re sized up enough, ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies are the current, generally recommended feeders for them.

I’m glad to hear you’re doing your research on these guys - I’d say to take a look at some of lion king’s threads on here about frogfish/anglerfish feeding and care, and particularly I’d say to look at their recommendations for a gorge/fast feeding schedule (they have also talked about live vs. prepared foods and they give some good advice for anyone who may want to try switching them over to prepared foods, but you’re correct that anglers should probably have a mostly live diet - it’s good exercise/mental stimulation if nothing else).

I can’t help you with the tank, but I do know the bio cube is a popular one, so you should be able to find some good comments on it if you search on the forum here.

Glad to hear you have someone to help show you the ropes - good luck with your tank, and welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thanks for the info! Yeah I will figure this out one way or another I been looking at lion kings threads and its really helped good thing he is here lol. I just want to do this as best as possible because it looks like not everyone is treating these fish properly.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back