From Catastrophe to Creation: 300g Glass Cages "The Fringe"

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RIP Niji No Niwa.... Anyone interested in some free 3/4" glass?

01ABF15E-BA66-4CB4-960A-843C9DEB5B1C.jpeg

902B5C8B-B816-4F2B-B35F-BDBDD38AD086.jpeg

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! That really stinks! I can only imagine the feeling you had when the tank slipped.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but when I moved my last big glass tank I used moving shoulder straps and boy did that help. It only required 2 people to move it with the strap as apposed to 4 people the first time we moved it without straps.

So what the plan now?
Did all the live stock make the move fine?

Hope things are settling down a little bit for you now.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I always prefer acrylic for sump. Do you know how many time I've dropped pumps and other stuff in the sump during cleaning?

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW! That really stinks! I can only imagine the feeling you had when the tank slipped.

Oh, it was like someone stabbed me in the heart and told me they peed in my cheerios that I ate earlier..... A piece of me died when I realized what had happened

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but when I moved my last big glass tank I used moving shoulder straps and boy did that help. It only required 2 people to move it with the strap as apposed to 4 people the first time we moved it without straps.

I hear you here... The tank was busted before we even got it completely off the stand. From now on, if it cannot be slid onto a piece of moving equipment and then rolled into place - it's not moving.

So what the plan now?
Did all the live stock make the move fine?

The livestock survived, as my brother let me keep everything in his 110g system. It's very cramped right now, but it is temporary. So far, I haven't lost a single piece - including my CSB - whew!

Initially, the plan was to trash the tank and sell off the system. I was so mad at myself, and I don't have the money for a new tank. *edit* I have the money, but should not be spending it :) ..... My brother talked me out of trashing everything..... He said "Don't let a $3k mistake turn into a $23k mistake" and he was absolutely right. After being angry for a few days I decided to keep what I had, and I contemplated a new system: after all, my stand was big enough to fit a 6ft x 4ft aquarium.

I hopped on the phone with @Joe Glass Cages and we talked through a few different designs. I decided on a 72"x48"x20". He has sent the initial drawing, and I am going to edit and approve it. Once I do this, we are looking at a ~ 5 week lead time to delivery.

Hope things are settling down a little bit for you now.

Things are OK for now. The system is in steady state, and I am away on business until the end of next week. Hopefully everything will be good when I get home. Until then, I will have some free time to plan "The Fringe".

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Your post is vague and you showed a picture of a sump and broken glass.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently visited the GC Studio. The tanks were UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I very much want to take a trip up to visit. Based on what you and Joe are saying, it must be incredible....

Yes, i originally built an oversized stand, as i figured I'd want to upgrade at some point... Once i decided to rebuild the system, i wanted to max it out. The beautiful thing is, i think i can do this without having to upgrade any equipment!

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bummer,great choice ,joe is awesome,go big or go home,going to be looking for that build thread,following,happy reefing

:(about tank

Thank you for the words @fishguy242 - this will be the thread, so you're in the right place. Stay tuned!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I very much want to take a trip up to visit. Based on what you and Joe are saying, it must be incredible....

Yes, i originally built an oversized stand, as i figured I'd want to upgrade at some point... Once i decided to rebuild the system, i wanted to max it out. The beautiful thing is, i think i can do this without having to upgrade any equipment!
sweet

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why i chose Glass Cages for "The Fringe".....

I am prior military, earned my ME degree, and currently work for a very large medical device manufacturer. Ownership and accountability have been ingrained me over the years..... Do not confuse this with being perfect - no person or company is... Professionally speaking, you cannot do better than truly caring for your customer, owning and learning from mistakes, and continuing to try to improve. All attributes that Joe displays in this thread. Read through and ask yourself: Is this the level of honesty, care, commitment, and engagement that I receive from my LFS? My tank manufacturer? My place of work? My friends? Sounds a little deep maybe.... or maybe, this should be the standard.....

Some of the things Joe said completely sold me here.... why can't every company have this level of commitment, ownership, and humbleness? Below are just a handful of excerpts from the thread.

......"Appreciate all the conversations and honesty.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:

• Leadership Change
  • Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
  • Digital Production Tracking
  • Improved Customer Service
  • CAD drawing and approval processes
  • Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
  • Polished Edges are now standard on all builds

We are not stopping with these improvements. Please see our reviews after October 2019 on Facebook, google and Reef2Reef. We have asked our new customers to share the truth. Knowing the truth allows us to reinforce the good and correct our challenges.

I am so excited and proud of our Glass Cages Team. We look forward to hearing from you about how we can serve you better now in the future.".....

....."Thanks for the support! We are listening and learning what and how we can support our customers better.".....

......"Miracles tanks are beautiful. Wanted to share that Glass Cages supports the Ghost overflows from Reef Savvy as well. We have recommended Reef Savvy Overflows for some time now. Excellent product. We look forward to serving. Glass Cages is raising the bar on quality at a reasonable price. Let us know how we can serve you better."......

...."You share that you demand at least decent quality. That’s not good enough for me. I don’t want to release anything from our facility with at least decent quality. No way. We have implemented electronic process mapping and Quality Assurance check points during the building process. This ensure a quality well above decent. That’s a great thing. I am proud of that."......

...."Great questions. I don't take that as condescending at all.

How much of a warranty are you looking for? And this is a real question. How can we help each other?

Yes, our standard warranty is 90 days. We warranty against leaks, glass defects and quality. If the quality looks good, tank doesn’t leak and the glass has no defects, the likelihood of those items changing after 90 days is slim. Will we support you, for sure. This also allows us to be very competitive. Our improvements recently only make the quality better. We also constantly over build our tanks.

Here are some of the things we can’t control.

• How the tank is handled?
  • How the tank is setup?
  • Tank leveled?
  • Multiple tank moves?
  • Date of tank filling?
  • Pad used underneath the tank. Is it Aquarium grade or suggested pad?
  • Tank alterations?
  • Seam meddling?
  • Euro-bracing meddling?
We have a strong desire to do the right thing while maintaining quality and price integrity.

I hope this helps with your question. Always open to a discussion.".....

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"hey joe" :cool: i think this guy likes you ,who could imagine .lol, sorry for spammin your page whats your name?
my bad, nate?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 57 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back