Getting Back into the Game

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. It's been 12 years my tank has sit in my kitchen. Dry, with all the rock and sand it had back when it died. I need to ask a few questions to get this thing going again. I know I need to wash my rock. That I can do. And I have a lot. I need new sand. I am willing to get a new 90 gal tank and a new base (cause I want it to look good and I don't want any leaks). But my old ETSS skimmer needs to go. I have good lighting, but need new bulbs. Gonna have a reef tank (with fish), so I'm running blue. I know about lighting. Well, kind of. I think I have T-5 lighting, but I'm pulling that outta my backside. It's a good set up for the tank and I'm planning on using what I have.

I need to know what kind of skimmer to get. I currently have a very tweeky ETSS-400. I want to overdue it and get either a 110 gal or a 150 gal skimmer (Octopus?) Need advise on that. I'll be running a 20 gal fuge below. I know how to work with PVC, but am considering an install of softer hoses. I need advise on that. Also, I need advise on what to get as return powerheads. I used to run a few Mag 9s to power the return and the ETSS. And Korelias (spelling?) inside the tank for water flow. All of these I am willing to replace. And will. But I am asking if there are better options 12 years later. Otherwise, I'll go with what I know.

I used to be a major contributor on 3Reef many, many years ago, so I knew my stuff. And I recognize that I have also forgotten a lot and need to relearn. I am not arrogant enough to consider myself an expert anymore.

Thank you in advance. Moderator: If I've placed this request in the wrong area, please forgive me and forward it to where it needs to be. Thanks again, John.

Bruce Wayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koralias are no more. Vortechs are still very good. I’m getting back in the hobby and wondering about the effectiveness of my old skimmer versus the new ones myself. I would say the biggest advance I’ve seen is the roller mat. I’ve seen a lot of people don’t even use skimmers because they have a roller mat. I will probably always use one myself.
Good luck to you.

specsgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I too recently started up a tank after a long hiatus. The advancement in equipment was mind boggling with all of the "controllables" that are out there now. As stated above Koralias are a thing of the past. People seem to like the Vortech's yet. Nero or Gyre pumps also seem popular. As far as return pump there seems to be an overall liking of the "adjustable" pumps. Same goes for the skimmers (I personally run a RO with the adjustable pump and LOVE it) but boy has the price sure gone up on them. Best of luck on your new system!

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back brother. Are you really a farmer lol.

You should do a sketch laying out all your system.

LOL, I'm a Pharmacist. An old timer! And I shall. That is a good idea. I am curious of all the options now. My tank died all of a sudden. So fast. I think my skimmer gave out. Just didn't think that was the case back in the day. Mistake.

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! I too recently started up a tank after a long hiatus. The advancement in equipment was mind boggling with all of the "controllables" that are out there now. As stated above Koralias are a thing of the past. People seem to like the Vortech's yet. Nero or Gyre pumps also seem popular. As far as return pump there seems to be an overall liking of the "adjustable" pumps. Same goes for the skimmers (I personally run a RO with the adjustable pump and LOVE it) but boy has the price sure gone up on them. Best of luck on your new system!

I'm going RO as well. I have a 90 gallon tank. I'm thinking about just getting an RO with a 110 gal. rating. Or should I go 150? I just don't want to kill my tank again. So I'm thinking the bigger the better in this instance.

specsgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going RO as well. I have a 90 gallon tank. I'm thinking about just getting an RO with a 110 gal. rating. Or should I go 150? I just don't want to kill my tank again. So I'm thinking the bigger the better in this instance.
I run the RO Regal 150-sss on my 60 cube and it's perfect. I don't feel that it's overkill at all despite it being rated for 100 gals heavy bioload and 210 gals on a light bioload. I also am of the belief that you can't overskim so I may not be of any help in suggesting :D but I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions on skimmers.

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL, I'm a Pharmacist. An old timer! And I shall. That is a good idea. I am curious of all the options now. My tank died all of a sudden. So fast. I think my skimmer gave out. Just didn't think that was the case back in the day. Mistake.
lol. The Doc ;)

Look at my build thread so you get an idear or layout with a single line drawing for your equipment

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. The Doc ;)

Look at my build thread so you get an idear or layout with a single line drawing for your equipment

Dude!!!! Yeah, I'd have to take a class just to understand what you have drawn! I mean, some of it is obvious, but wow. Never drawn up one of those before. But I'm curious. Do you have all the equipment or is this just your wish list at this point? I'm keeping out of the controllers until later, going old school with testing and maintenance for now. But a master controller is in the future.

OP
OP
PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another question. I've tentatively decided on an RO Regal-150 SSS (Thank you SpecsGirl). Looks good. But I really need to know what kind of powerhead to hook up to this bad boy. Also, I need an idea of what kind of return pump to buy. I don't want to break the bank. I saw what the VorTechs cost and actually shuddered. Now, that's not to say I'm going cheap. If I need something, I will absolutely get it. In addition, I've forgotten how much GPH flow I need in the tank itself. And if the return counts towards this number (I think it does to a small degree). It's been SO long! Thanks.

magallonbuckinbulls

Beers, Bulls, and Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude!!!! Yeah, I'd have to take a class just to understand what you have drawn! I mean, some of it is obvious, but wow. Never drawn up one of those before. But I'm curious. Do you have all the equipment or is this just your wish list at this point? I'm keeping out of the controllers until later, going old school with testing and maintenance for now. But a master controller is in the future.
lol,
it's easy brother lol.

No, just the initial equipment. I don't want to be locked in. It's more of a suggested equipment list lol.

For return pump. I would double up instead of one large pump. Start with what your budget allows. Just be aware of the limitations and lifespan of the less cost equipment or used equipment.
Upgrade as you go. It's a hobby :) lol. Unless you're starting a business, I would take my time.
Some folks treat the hobby like heroine, lol. They want everything now, no matter what, and they want everything, and they look for shortcuts.

Lots of little reef critter perish due to shortcuts or being impatient.

Give me the dims or your system and I'll draw it out for yah brother. If you want to plan it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back