Getting back into the hobby. What to get?

flyboywbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It's been a while but I want to get back into the hobby. I originally started with a biocube back in 2010 and upgraded to a 120gal reef. I got a new job in NYC so I had to sell everything. I moved to MN in 2014 and got back into with with an Inovative Marine 30gal AIO tank. Again I got a new job that required me to travel and my wife did not want to take care of the tank while I was on the road. She was busy taking care of our little one. So once again I sold everything.

I'm feeling the itch again and want to try another tank. The thought would be a larger one with not a lot of stuff in it

My goal is to have something super simple my wife won't mind feeding while I'm at work and something that will allow me to be gone 11 days at a stretch. I work 11 days then have 9 days off.

I was thinking one of the Read Sea Reefer Max tanks with a sump for a large water volume. The fact that it comes with everything is appealing. I was thinking the 525 might be nice. The goal is a simple mixed reef with easy to care for fish/corals. I'd love to have some sort of tang some day. I had a yellow tang in my 120 and I loved watching it cruise around the tank.

I've also looked at the Water Box stuff and they look nice as well. Open to suggestions.

Was thinking about 5-10k budget for everything would be realistic for a tank that size. That would just be the equipment. Then super slow adding corals and fish.

Any other easy setups I should be looking at?

Thanks!

-Matt

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you get the dd tanks in USA but there a lot better build than the Red Sea tanks heard good things about the water box but a bit pricier than Red Sea tanks here in uk

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back