Getting rid of ICH by keeping fish for a while in freshwater

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 Tanks and in 2 tanks are fish and i got ICH probably in those tank right know.
Since i can't Set up a quarantine tank for a bamboo shark in the worst case, i want my second biggest tank to be fishless for the 67days, so i can say for sure i have a tank without any disseases, in case i need to do dips and freshwater baths.
In this tank are currently a green spotted Puffer and some mollys, as the can take swing in alkalinity, i am thinking about putting them for 7 days in a freshwater tank, since saltwater diseases die in freshwater? So i can put them in my Main tank, so my other tank can stay Fallow and i got a Backup.

Am i right that i would get rid of every saltwater disease if i put those fish in freshwater and is it going to be safe to put them then in the other tank without the risk to bring the disease to my Main tank?

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what? saltwater fish can live in fresh water for like 5 mins not 7 days lol if they could live in fresh water every 1 would save money on salt
The fish i am talking about are brackish fish, so they can stay long in freshwater. Or do you only see mollys in saltwater Aquariums?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp and mollies can survive freshwater (not long term for the puffer), but you’d have to be careful to avoid changing the salinity too fast, as the shock can kill them.
Assuming it’s not a reef, I would just do a hyposalinity treatment for 30 days past the last ich spot disappears.
Are all of your systems connected? If one has ich than the rest would in that case.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp and mollies can survive freshwater (not long term for the puffer), but you’d have to be careful to avoid changing the salinity too fast, as the shock can kill them.
Assuming it’s not a reef, I would just do a hyposalinity treatment for 30 days past the last ich spot disappears.
Are all of your systems connected? If one has ich than the rest would in that case.
No reef tanks, but i got alot of macroalgaes in there which must survive.
It is alot easier for me to Set up a 200l tank with daily freshwater waterchanges and then after a week put them in my Main tank, so i can let my other tanks go fallow.
The 3 tanks are not connected, but still got in 2 ICH

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to set up a qt (seems like you can if you are setting up a fw system)? Treating with copper in there would be more reliable imo, especially if there are other fish that can’t handle freshwater.
Also, I’m not sure how long ich would take to die in freshwater - but I would think it would go similar to a hypo treatment (which in turn would be easier given it is known to be effective).

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to set up a qt (seems like you can if you are setting up a fw system)? Treating with copper in there would be more reliable imo, especially if there are other fish that can’t handle freshwater.
Also, I’m not sure how long ich would take to die in freshwater - but I would think it would go similar to a hypo treatment (which in turn would be easier given it is known to be effective).
The fish i want to transfer are in my second biggest tank. And i got a bamboo shark, so i want a big tank as a Hospital tank in case there is something in my Main tank.
I can't QT a bamboo shark in a 200l freshwater tank, and no copper also. Thats the reason i want the second tank disease free and since the System is stable i really don't want to do hyposalinity there, also since there a macroalgaes in there.

How long is a hypo treatment and at which salinity?
I only read about a fallow period that you can use freshwater Black mollys to test if the periode worked, and since they came from freshwater they can't bring new diseases in, so it should work the same in reverse i hope so.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i didn't read mollys i thought u wanted to put tangs clowns ect in freshwater lol
No i know that this wouldn't work for sure.
But they are all brackish fish, some people keep then in saltwater for a lifetime, i keep them in saltwater because it is better or closer to their real life envoirment, so they can handle freshwater for sure.
But the question is if the freshwater will kill marine ich or other diseases a 100% sure

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity is treated at 1.009 for at least 30 days (30 days after the last spot disappears). It would kill macro so it would have to be done in a qt (but if you are treating in a qt, treating with copper power or coppersafe is the best option for ich).
Freshwater would have a similar effect, but I would think it’s overkill and the fish may not handle a swing like that well.
Fallow is 60 days.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyposalinity is treated at 1.009 for at least 30 days (30 days after the last spot disappears). It would kill macro so it would have to be done in a qt (but if you are treating in a qt, treating with copper power or coppersafe is the best option for ich).
Freshwater would have a similar effect, but I would think it’s overkill and the fish may not handle a swing like that well.
Fallow is 60 days.
I am not sure if i can use copper on a pufferfish, i think i can't since they are scaleless. I did a freshwater Dip on them already, they don't mind at all.
And i keept the same fish in freshwater 2 years ago, so why shouldn't they can't get back into freshwater for a few days?
As far as for the mollys, i am transfering some regularly from fresh to saltwater in a little ober 24h, no deaths so far.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fallow is 60 days.
I already used Ruby Reef Rally, it looked like it worked, but it came back a month later, so treated again, then even longer, up to 8 days, and it cane back again.
So i am really desperate right know to get a tank which is big enough to house and medicate a bamboo shark, where no copper was in and i know it is 100% disease free and stable enough so i don't get ammonia spikes

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power and coppersafe are generally safe for puffers (not as harsh as other copper meds like cupramine).
It is possible to move them back to fw, but it needs to be done carefully to avoid harming the fish - 5 minutes in a fw dip is much different than being held there for 30+ days after having been in salt for years.
I already used Ruby Reef Rally, it looked like it worked, but it came back a month later, so treated again, then even longer, up to 8 days, and it cane back again.
So i am really desperate right know to get a tank which is big enough to house and medicate a bamboo shark, where no copper was in and i know it is 100% disease free and stable enough so i don't get ammonia spikes
Is the shark in an infected tank?

Boreas_SA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the tank transfer method, and even combine it with lower salinity as the mollies and puffer can tolerate it. Would imagine the cysts can possibly survive longer in freshwater, so with tank transfer they should be clean at the end.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I got 3 Tanks and in 2 tanks are fish and i got ICH probably in those tank right know.
Since i can't Set up a quarantine tank for a bamboo shark in the worst case, i want my second biggest tank to be fishless for the 67days, so i can say for sure i have a tank without any disseases, in case i need to do dips and freshwater baths.
In this tank are currently a green spotted Puffer and some mollys, as the can take swing in alkalinity, i am thinking about putting them for 7 days in a freshwater tank, since saltwater diseases die in freshwater? So i can put them in my Main tank, so my other tank can stay Fallow and i got a Backup.

Am i right that i would get rid of every saltwater disease if i put those fish in freshwater and is it going to be safe to put them then in the other tank without the risk to bring the disease to my Main tank?
Thats a gamble. Hyposalinity at 1.009 works with many species of marine fish but known as employing osmosis, it is said freshwater will kill marine ich, but actually provides relief from ich. If you do the FW treatment for a week then put them back into the tank and have Not killed the ich which latches onto the fish, they will recycle and go back to the fish which is why we do what is known as hyposalinity for 30 days.

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power and coppersafe are generally safe for puffers (not as harsh as other copper meds like cupramine).
It is possible to move them back to fw, but it needs to be done carefully to avoid harming the fish - 5 minutes in a fw dip is much different than being held there for 30+ days after having been in salt for years.

Is the shark in an infected tank?
As i am located in germany, i paid so much money to get 5 gallons of ruby reef down here, and still it didn't worked.

Yeah the shark tank had also alot of infections regularly for well over a year now, can't get rid of it. (You can look that up in my last threads)
A few days back my puffer died with white spots in there. So i call it infected.
And in the second biggest tank, today died my butterfly fish in there, also white spots. Now there is only the puffer and the mollys.
Si i need this big tank clean, since it is hard to fight on two different sides. So i would prefer to keep all fish in one tank, if the second tank is clean after thise 76 days, i will start to do a TTM on all fish and then put them in this tank, so my Main tank can go fallow for 76days, and then i do TTM again and transfer them Back into the main tank, thats my Plan so far.
Shark looks fine for right now.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i know that this wouldn't work for sure.
But they are all brackish fish, some people keep then in saltwater for a lifetime, i keep them in saltwater because it is better or closer to their real life envoirment, so they can handle freshwater for sure.
But the question is if the freshwater will kill marine ich or other diseases a 100% sure
i think it would kill ich as freshwater ich cannot be kept in saltwater so i assume its vice versa i know if you buy mollys that have been kept in freshwater they is no need to QT them but i'm no expert so i would wait for jay to chime in

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it would kill ich as freshwater ich cannot be kept in saltwater so i assume its vice versa i know if you buy mollys that have been kept in freshwater they is no need to QT them but i'm no expert so i would wait for jay to chime in
Yeah i read that, thats why i get the Ideal, it should work the same the other way around

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i read that, thats why i get the Ideal, it should work the same the other way around
wouldn't like to give you a yes or no answer as i'm no expert but i would assume so like i said wait for jay to post he will give you a definite answer

OP
OP
KilianSP

KilianSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a gamble. Hyposalinity at 1.009 works with many species of marine fish but known as employing osmosis, it is said freshwater will kill marine ich, but actually provides relief from ich. If you do the FW treatment for a week then put them back into the tank and have Not killed the ich which latches onto the fish, they will recycle and go back to the fish which is why we do what is known as hyposalinity for 30 days.
We talked about my bamboo shark a while back then when i had an outbreak. The bamboo can't take hyposalinity, if it could, i just would dumpe every fish in my Main tank, remove the macroalgaes there and put them in the second tank, which then could stay fallow and to hyposalinity in the main tank with all fish in it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back