Status
Not open for further replies.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly stopped buying BRS once they did the gigantic giveaways over the holidays. Given that this last month of the year is when most companies make a profit for the year and BRS was able to leverage their size to get special concessions out of their suppliers that other could not, how much of the giveaway was potentially a way to force the smaller competitors out of the market? How many people bought from BRS specifically to get freebies that might have bought at the other vendors? I know a lot of people bought from BRS in hopes of snagging a few freebies and I hold no ill will towards them...just concerns me when the big boys have the ability to take out a competitor..especially in a supply bound year. Gonna be interesting to see if any of the other peeps can stay in business.

If one wants to support the littler businesses, this is a legit point.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My days some people are like vultures.... you can well see the problems in society, I'm just glad we don't have the "I will sue you for looking at me" in the UK. This is good entertainment.
Losers pay for the other's attorney fees in the UK, which is nice. Not so here unless a contract or statute allows it.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my god, funny story.

At a jury trial, the judge asked both attorneys to stand up and recognize particular jury pool members (this was outside the presence of the jury) that we might be, or could be, subjected to such "unconscious bias" . In other words, the judge asked each attorney (one of which was me) to identify minorities i might be subjectively discriminating against! LOL

I said i had no information to provide and that i was not seeing any juror in a racial context at all. I said the only thing i was examining was their answers to questions. I said, first, i don't know who is a minority and who is not. I gave the example that i had minority blood in my DNA but someone may or may not know that by appearance. I said that trying to determine if someone was a minority--i had a problem with in the first place. Not only would i not do it, but i don't think it could be accurately done. The other attorney followed my lead, as neither of us were going to create an issue on appeal admitting we might have "unconscious bias" towards any juror.

The judge was ticked. LOL.

She said she was not being racist by asking us to identify minority jury pool members, if that was what i was implying. I said i was not implying anything, just that i did not have the ability, motive, or desire to care anything about the jurors except their answers to questions. Which was the truth. I could careless a person's ethnicity and take offense to anyone suggesting i have subjective unbconsias bias. The whole notion is ridiculous BS and make work for people selling CLE's on it.

Anyway, the judge then identified minority jury members herself. LOL. I was stunned. She was like juror # blah, blah, appears to be a miniority, etc. She then asked us if either attorney thought those jurors were subjected to unconscious bias during voir dire. Both attorneys just said "no."

It was really awkward and the whole affair was ridiculous.
Did you use one of your automatic rejections on said juror. That would have been AWESOME!! Would loved to have seen the judge's reaction.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use one of your automatic rejections on said juror. That would have been AWESOME!! Would loved to have seen the judge's reaction.
Sometimes judges do not even understand how stupid they sound. "Unconscious bias" = dumbest thing i ever heard, let alone being asked to be explicitly profile jurors for ethnicity. It's just part and parcel of perpetuating race-based industry and politics for power and/or money.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Competitors get stronger.

Currently, the entire hobby is growing. A rising tide raises all ships.

The vast majority of the hobby isn't on these forums. They aren't seeing any of this. So if BRS loses a couple people from here, there are hundred more finding their YT videos.

If the competition wants to get stronger, they will need change their playbook at some point. They won't always be the "small mom and pop shop" and those on their high horses will have to find somewhere new to shop. Can't be supporting the big bag corporate business any longer

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The vast majority of the hobby isn't on these forums. They aren't seeing any of this. So if BRS loses a couple people from here, there are hundred more finding their YT videos.

If the competition wants to get stronger, they will need change their playbook at some point. They won't always be the "small mom and pop shop" and those on their high horses will have to find somewhere new to shop. Can't be supporting the big bag corporate business any longer
Irony? sounds like you are bashing my high horse while riding atop of yours.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Irony? sounds like you are bashing my high horse while riding atop of yours.

Not at all.

The whole premise behind "only support the small guys" is flawed. Eventually the small guy becomes the big guy or they fail. A few sneak through the cracks and just maintain but they're very rare.

But what happens if SWA gets "too big" and starts doing promos (which they already do)? Don't we have to find the new mom and pop shop to support?

This is why I laugh at those who say it's okay to screw BRS cuz they're "big business." This means we have some agreed upon definition of what is a small and big business. Because how big is too big and how small is small enough to be considered mom and pop?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Disagree - many reefers are on some form of social media.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all.

The whole premise behind "only support the small guys" is flawed. Eventually the small guy becomes the big guy or they fail. A few sneak through the cracks and just maintain but they're very rare.

But what happens if SWA gets "too big" and starts doing promos (which they already do)? Don't we have to find the new mom and pop shop to support?

This is why I laugh at those who say it's okay to screw BRS cuz they're "big business." This means we have some agreed upon definition of what is a small and big business. Because how big is too big and how small is small enough to be considered mom and pop?
Lol. I dont say screw them because they are big business simply because they are big business. I just know the problems when too much of an industry (or any resource for that matter) gets concentrated in the hands of too few that have outsized influence. Right now, BRS is the big boy and by quite a lot over others. If my couple of sales a year can help keep the others in business, then so be it.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that doesn't mean they are ever made aware of this thread or what happened.

Many people will never care
Hopefully not, but what if they do? What if you as a company, had a chance to nip this in the bud before becoming the MAJOR thread on R2R? Wouldn’t you want to do that?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol. I dont say screw them because they are big business simply because they are big business. I just know the problems when too much of an industry (or any resource for that matter) gets concentrated in the hands of too few that have outsized influence. Right now, BRS is the big boy and by quite a lot over others. If my couple of sales a year can help keep the others in business, then so be it.

I agree there.

I'm a small business owner myself. Like 2 employees small business. I actually prefer to know I'm up against the big boys in my industry. They are very easy to beat out on a job.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hopefully not, but what if they do? What if you as a company, had a chance to nip this in the bud before becoming the MAJOR thread on R2R? Wouldn’t you want to do that?

Whilst I would dearly love to believe that any of my rantings on R2R or any other site has even the slightest influence on the behaviour of the companies that I am critical of, it is my honest belief that it makes no difference to any of them.

This will largely be forgotten about by next weekend and BRS will know that.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

How was BRS ever going to catch this early and make a public announcement? Maybe they needed some time to figure out what to do? The decision makers are not in office. Many don't return until Tuesday since tomorrow is being observed my many businesses as a holiday.

The people who monitor and post on here are not working. The person who can fix the problem was made aware and fixed the pricing.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not that big of deal, you can look at it in many ways. The amount of people on the thread is really nothing. Not enough to affect BRS sales. Not enough to make them concerned or feel the need to respond here.
they will handle this with the individuals who made the purchases.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not that big of deal, you can look at it in many ways. The amount of people on the thread is really nothing. Not enough to affect BRS sales. Not enough to make them concerned or feel the need to respond here.
they will handle this with the individuals who made the purchases.
The person responsible for the website error probably just corrected it on the sly and then took Randy and Ryan out to get drunk. That way the shippers will just ship this stuff out. Randy and Ryan will be too hungover to care by the time they hear about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back