Glb's hacks, tips, and other useful information

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I love to tinker with my tanks, and DIY is my favorite way to go. I thought I'd start a thread about things I've done that have made my tanks better. I'm also going to include links to info I've found invaluable over the years. I hope this info is helpful to you!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First topic is sump wire management. Here's some of the things I've done:
IMG_2445.JPG

This is an acrylic splash guard that protects the power strip/cords. I got 1/8" acrylic at A local lumber store. They cut it to size. Then I painted the back with white spray paint. It made a nice shiny finish from the front. I put industrial strength low pile Velcro on the back to hold it in place. The back edge is not velcroed down. This allows more space for the cords and provides some give if a plug sticks out farther than usual.
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG

This is the Velcro I used on the stand. I nailed it down with carpenter nails so it would stay put.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the cords themselves, this is what I've done:

IMG_2440.JPG

All the cords are labeled:
IMG_2444.JPG

I put Velcro on the ones I unplug a lot so I could stick them on Velcro on the tank stand. This keeps them from falling into the mass of wires below:
IMG_2441.JPG

In the sump , I used cord channels above the waterline to keep the cords tidy. I bought these at Home Depot. The adhesive didn't work after a while so I attached them with the same low pile Velcro:

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2447.JPG

They pop open easily when I need to remove equipment.

Finally I used cord managers from the Container store to keep wires behind the sump organized. I couldn't get back there for a pic, but here's one I used for the sump light:

IMG_2443.JPG

They come in a ton of colors and stay put.

Hope this info was helpful! More tips to come!

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next tip comes from TaylorPilot. He showed me how to figure out how much water was in every inch of my tank. This helped out when I was planning the sump and safeguarding against overflow:

" Multiply the foot print of the tank in INCHES not feet 24" x 12" = 288, then divide by 231 (cubic inches in a gallon), and it will tell you how many gallons are in 1" of water in your tank/sump."

This helped me calculate how much water was in each sump area. Thanks TaylorPilot!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some calculators I found online that are super helpful:

From Ultimatereef.net, this converts alk from one measurement unit to another:

http://www.ultimatereef.net/pages/alkalinity_converter/

This one from RC helped out calculating head loss:

http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

This is a great reef chemistry calculator from Marine Depot. You put in your current level and desired level for the parameter you want to change. It asks questions about your tank then tells you how to dose. Super helpful!

https://www.marinedepot.com/md_educationcenter_calculators_reef_chemistry_calculator.html

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some painting tips for the stand and plumbing. For the inside of the stand I used Kilz concrete sealer, oil-based. I don't have a pic of that can. Then I used oil-based glossy enamel to make the surface smooth:

image.jpg

To further seal the inside of the tank, I used 100% silicone caulk on every wood seam to make it watertight:

image.jpg

For the outside of the stand, I used Kilz water-based sealer for the base coat:
image.jpg

Then I finished it off with Ace latex paint in a satin finish. (Color was 'Cotton Candy')
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting PVC and other parts of the sump:

Instead of buying colored PVC, I decided to paint it myself. Here's what I used for any pipe above the waterline:
image.jpg

This is the paint that's supposed to bond with plastic. I taped off the joints, which I wanted to stay white, and sprayed on a few coats, waiting about an hour between coats. I've had the tank running for almost 6 months now and I'm happy with the durability. Here's a pic of the whole sump:
image.jpg

I also painted my ato topoff container to match. I got it at PetSmart. It's a dog food container that is great for an ato because it has a smaller spout where the tubing/wires come out, and a big flip-up hinge on the top for adding water:
image.jpg

image.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the matching sump and plumbing.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the plan I used for my stand. It can be used for pretty much any size tank. Tons of people have used this plan with great success and it's easy. I'd never built any furniture so if I can do it, anyone can.

IMG_1126.JPG

Here are the directions by 'Rocket Engineer' on RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1169964

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I bought for a 37" wide x 34" tall x 19" deep tank frame (sides, bottom, and back not included-they were 1/4" plywood sheets I bought later)

IMG_0919.JPG

7 2x4's untreated construction type
Titebond III waterproof wood glue
GRK R4 stainless steel framing screws, #10x23/4"
Speed lite level square
2 4" c clamps

I had power tools already but these were the main supplies. This made the stand in the diagram above.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handy stuff, Glb!

I'm using a Petco dog-food container for the ATO as well - it's on wheels, and holds almost exactly five gallons of water. Seems to work fairly well!

~Bruce

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy filter socks. I bought a filter sock holder and felt filter socks when I started my tank. But the overflow pipe went down into the sock so it would be under the water line. This was really inconvenient for cleaning because I had to shut off the return pump and remove part of the plumbing to change the filter sock. I solved this problem by changing to mesh drawstring socks. I tied a knot at the top and hooked it on the filter sock holder. Now I clean it every day because I can remove it so easily.

IMG_2452.JPG

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bathtub storage. I keep all my buckets in the bathtub close to the tank. Anything wet after I use it can drain easily. I use a hanging shower rack for smaller stuff. It's super convenient and everything is hidden by the shower curtain.

image.jpg

image.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bath tub.jpg

What is this gizmo ? Looks like a sand or gravel vacuum. I need to come up with something for a BB tank where I can just remove the offending waste and not the water . Might try a Koller craft one.
61X-CcRXivL._SL1500_.jpg

Back