glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bath tub.jpg

What is this gizmo ? Looks like a sand or gravel vacuum. I need to come up with something for a BB tank where I can just remove the offending waste and not the water . Might try a Koller craft one.
61X-CcRXivL._SL1500_.jpg
That's a gravel vacuum I got at a reef show. It's a no name brand. I wish I could recommend it but I've had two break on me because water leaked into the motor. It might be on Amazon. Maybe check out reviews?

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great theme! Let's see if I can come up with something after my nightly tequila ... nope ... note to self, find something to contribute in the light of day ... wait, I know, I run two big goby pumps and naturally, the cabinet they were siting on was resonating in sympathy to the hum of the motors. Solution ... suspend the end of the pumps from bungy chords. So, they are held at one end by the flexible outlet hosing from the sump and at the other by bungy chords. Ta da ... no more magnified hum. Hmmm, where did I set my tequila down now ...

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Here's another one. I make all my RODI manually (one waste water 5g and one for RODI). The setup is plumbed through the water valve in my laundry room. The waste water of course fills up quicker. I figured out how long it takes to make 5g of RODI which is about 55 minutes for my setup. So I set a timer for 11 minutes. Everytime it goes off I pour out the waste water before it is full and very heavy. I have 2 waste water jugs that I swap out. I know after the 5th time the timer goes off the rodi will be full. It may sound tedious but I've forgotten the unit was on more times than I can count and got tired of cleaning up the resulting mess. When it starts to take longer to make the water, I can easily tell and know it's time to look at my cartridges.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great theme! Let's see if I can come up with something after my nightly tequila ... nope ... note to self, find something to contribute in the light of day ... wait, I know, I run two big goby pumps and naturally, the cabinet they were siting on was resonating in sympathy to the hum of the motors. Solution ... suspend the end of the pumps from bungy chords. So, they are held at one end by the flexible outlet hosing from the sump and at the other by bungy chords. Ta da ... no more magnified hum. Hmmm, where did I set my tequila down now ...
That is a great idea!

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two sump hacks I've implemented and work really well for me.
1: my egg crate diy-filter-floss-crate-sock-holder-thingy. No more washing filter socks. Just grab the floss, toss it, and refill.
IMG_8752.JPG

2: I wanted to go to a 20gal ato of kalkwasser so I wasn't having any batch discrepancies anymore. Just to keep things stable longer. So the 20 gal was too tall compared to where my sump was sitting and needed to raise the line level since I'm using an aqualifter pump design which DOES NOT cut the flow off when the pump cuts off and would form a siphon. I cut a piece of PVC, clamped to the side of my return section, insert the airline at a height that would not create siphon, and super glued it to the PVC to keep it secure. Works like a charm. The PvC is above the water line to allow full dispersion of the kalk.
IMG_8753.JPG

Now to implement some of these great wire managaement ideas I've seen! Thanks for this thread!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two sump hacks I've implemented and work really well for me.
1: my egg crate diy-filter-floss-crate-sock-holder-thingy. No more washing filter socks. Just grab the floss, toss it, and refill.
IMG_8752.JPG

2: I wanted to go to a 20gal ato of kalkwasser so I wasn't having any batch discrepancies anymore. Just to keep things stable longer. So the 20 gal was too tall compared to where my sump was sitting and needed to raise the line level since I'm using an aqualifter pump design which DOES NOT cut the flow off when the pump cuts off and would form a siphon. I cut a piece of PVC, clamped to the side of my return section, insert the airline at a height that would not create siphon, and super glued it to the PVC to keep it secure. Works like a charm. The PvC is above the water line to allow full dispersion of the kalk.
IMG_8753.JPG

Now to implement some of these great wire managaement ideas I've seen! Thanks for this thread!
What a great idea!

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using yellow tinted sunglasses as a photo filter. This is an old shot from my old tank. But you can see the difference. Just halfway covered the lens on iPhone to show what it can do. (I've found the "fishing" glasses are the best) I know they're more expensive than filters, but i do Apartment maintenance, and you'd be surprised some of the goodies people leave when they move out. SCORE!
IMG_5407.JPG

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently toying with the idea of a gravity fed ato. My water storage is well above my sump in a separate room. Will post when I get it setup

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using yellow tinted sunglasses as a photo filter. This is an old shot from my old tank. But you can see the difference. Just halfway covered the lens on iPhone to show what it can do. (I've found the "fishing" glasses are the best) I know they're more expensive than filters, but i do Apartment maintenance, and you'd be surprised some of the goodies people leave when they move out. SCORE!
IMG_5407.JPG
Cool. I bought these camera filters on Amazon for super cheap to do the same thing.
image.jpg

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an (unused) urine collection cup from the pediatrician's office. It has a very tiny spout that pours into narrow testing vials. It's great for collecting small amounts of tank water for testing. It also has ml markings on the side up to 90ml for bigger dosing needs if you want to use it that way.
image.jpg

Back