Good filter?

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bio-Wheel from Marineland, I’m planning on this tank being a reef tank, is this filter good?
PS.. My heater and other filtration is from Marineland too, are these products good?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other filters? You will need to rinse out the filter often. That chore can be a pain. Most reefers go with filter socks or a skimmer

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? A HOB filter can be used, I'd remove the bio-wheel. Rock is the main filter in a reef tank and a HOB would be for larger particles and many people use them with filter floss as the media. Also to hold carbon and other media depending on how large the HOB filter is.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bio wheels don't provide much benefit at all to a reef tank, you will need a whole inventory of new equipment. Really suggest that you do the research, saltwater is a whole different ball game, much harder and much more expensive.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What most do is remove the biowheel and add rubble or some form of rock or media for marine bacteria. They can add chemipure or charcoal bag and filter floss. There are some good hang on back filters that are used due to space such as the aquaclear series. A filter may not even be needed if tank is small but doesnt hurt to have.
As others asked, what size tank and what do you plan to stock?

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? A HOB filter can be used, I'd remove the bio-wheel. Rock is the main filter in a reef tank and a HOB would be for larger particles and many people use them with filter floss as the media. Also to hold carbon and other media depending on how large the HOB filter is.
I have a 20 gallon all in one

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What most do is remove the biowheel and add rubble or some form of rock or media for marine bacteria. They can add chemipure or charcoal bag and filter floss. There are some good hang on back filters that are used due to space such as the aquaclear series. A filter may not even be needed if tank is small but doesnt hurt to have.
As others asked, what size tank and what do you plan to stock?
The tank in a 20 gallon all in one, and I’m planning on stocking it with a pair of Darwin clowns, and one other fish

Beta reefs.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re hanging on the back filter sucks evaporates so quickly that you have to top it off every hour or else it stop working doesn’t sound too bad until you realize a lot quickly

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bio-Wheel from Marineland, I’m planning on this tank being a reef tank, is this filter good?
PS.. My heater and other filtration is from Marineland too, are these products good?
Generally speaking if it is sold as a product for fish tanks and you can buy it at a box store, steer clear. You could find a use for it but it wont be the advertised use.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An all-in-one tank should have built in filtration capability. Marineland makes relatively inexpensive systems and you often get what you pay for in this hobby.

The Biowheel is going to be a headache unless you clean it regularly. Biowheels are intended to provide biological filtration (converting relatively toxic ammonia excreted by fish gills into much less toxic nitrate). Live rock provides the same capability so your "filter" for a reef tank only needs to remove debris. Can you remove the Biowheel and replace it with aquarium safe sponges? Many small all-in-one tanks use sponges as debris filters in their first compartment. I ran a 24g nanocube as a mixed reef tank for quite a while this way.

As others have suggested, a skimmer will be a good addition to your tank if there is space for it. You can run a reef tank without a skimmer, but I would try not to.

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a remote display Refugium
Live rocks and a protein skimmer
Unfortunately, these options don’t work, would you recommend anything else?
IMG_4612.jpeg
IMG_4611.jpeg

These are the things I’m working with, what would you swap them out with?

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An all-in-one tank should have built in filtration capability. Marineland makes relatively inexpensive systems and you often get what you pay for in this hobby.

The Biowheel is going to be a headache unless you clean it regularly. Biowheels are intended to provide biological filtration (converting relatively toxic ammonia excreted by fish gills into much less toxic nitrate). Live rock provides the same capability so your "filter" for a reef tank only needs to remove debris. Can you remove the Biowheel and replace it with aquarium safe sponges? Many small all-in-one tanks use sponges as debris filters in their first compartment. I ran a 24g nanocube as a mixed reef tank for quite a while this way.

As others have suggested, a skimmer will be a good addition to your tank if there is space for it. You can run a reef tank without a skimmer, but I would try not to.
Yeah, I can definitely do sponges, would you say any are better than others?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 116 81.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.2%
Back