Green algae. .. Eww

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just ordered the Hydor Koralia Nano. 270gph, I think. Should have it Sat. We shall see what all this Koralia craze is about! Lol. So super excited to get those other powerheads out of my tank! Yay! The thing is... I paid $23 each for the big ones I have now.. The Koralia I got was only $23.. SMH
AS most of us pro hoarders:)oops:) know, Having a backup is a good thing. I tried the $8 sun sun, but now they are on either salt mixing duty or in my dip kit. (three buckets three powerheads.)
And yes, the koralias are worth the money.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I will definitely get more snails, the astrea seem to do the best job. Will the sand sifting star do ok with the crushed coral? Ive heard summer do not like it. I have a brittle star, and he doesn't seem to mind it.
You probably want to avoid the sand sifting star, probably not enough food for it long term. It will likely slowly starve.

Squirrel_reefer

Call me Squirrel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the $8 sun sun

You can get a two (2) pack of these from the Amazon for $10 and its on prime lol I have made this order twice and a local friend made it once, uses on in a qt and one to supplement a pp-4o in the dt. People trash them but they do work..albeit sometimes in reverse lol

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I bought 5 more Astrea snails last night and a Calcium test. They had no phosphate tests, so I ordered a phosphate test and alkalinity test today as well... My Calcium is 360ppm... Im guessing my phosphates are going to be high...
With a young tank go light on the CUC. You are better off removing algae by hand and have the CUC thin/get the remainder. If you get a CUC big enough to wipe everything out, typically they starve, die then release all the nitrates/phosphates from the original outbreak and create another.

twin77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still run an old school orbit too but I did add two ATI's recently and noticed a little better growth. I originally ordered a blue and a white but the white was over kill so I now run the orbit, a blue ATI and a purple ATI. It was cheaper to just add a few ATI's and I knew my orbit was still useful.
I'm currently running the current USA and I'd like to add on like you. What are ATI's? Thanks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding a second Orbit too....an IC or Pro might be a nice enough upgrade if a second Marine isn't good enough. Maybe even a True Lumen Pro. Adding T5's is a VERY expensive way to add more light.

Remember that though the Orbit Marine is sufficient, it's on the minimal side of the intensity spectrum even according to Current:
http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Orbit-PAR-Measurements-1.pdf
(This is updated from what I remember looking at a while back. Much easier to read.)

So having two, or some other second light, is totally fine and normal. Even three wouldn't be crazy. (Though you might be better off with a Pro in the mix if you need that much PAR.)

If you wanted to grow clams you would plan it this way from the outset. :)

(And yes a growth spurt is very possible when you add more light. It doesn't have to be T5 light.)

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gone are the bulky powerheads! My Koralia is here! I love it! Now my fish have way more room. Im looking at canister filters for my tank now... And a UV sterilizer. I want to get rid of the HOB filter. I think it will give my tank a cleaner look, and i imagine it will do a better job at mechanical filtration. The one I have came with the tank... Some El Cheapo. Any suggestions?

0219171017a.jpg

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Try a Blastomussa or Micromussa (Acan) next. They should grow super nice in your set up and you would only need to start with one or two head of this coral. Spot feeding them is pretty cool to watch too

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on acans and blastos soon actually. In also digging the look of the wilsoni... I really want to try to maximize color because of the small area in my tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 109 73.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back